Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
What has to change in the tuning to run an alt fire cam? The "tune" shouldn't have to change, just wondering where firing order is determined... (I have EFI Live but haven't looked at it in over 3 years.)

Edit: Just read Guy's post and it looks like re-wiring injectors is how it's done. While much like me swapping the 4/7 spark plug wires on my BBC with alt fire cam, I would have thought there would be an easier way (without rewiring).

There is, if you have a stand alone Bosch ecm and the knowledge on how to use it. For the common man, swapping the harness when installing the cam works well. No further tuning needed.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Guy, seeing as the LBZ and LMM ECM's are basically the same EDC-16c controller...what would make an LMM ECM more picky?

I would think any ECM wouldnt even know/care about the difference, as long as it has a proper #1 TDC reference and 180* cam reference.

Why do you think GM/Isuzu chose the firing order they did? I know thats probably a wild card/impossible question that we will never actually know....but Im just curious, given your (and Jon's) knowledge...if you have any educated guesses in how/why GM/Isuzu settled on 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3??

The LMM OS has some funky rationality checks and in it. For instance, if it senses more than 4 degrees difference in the orientation of the crank at TDC and the cam position sensor trigger, it will prevent the engine from starting.

As far as the Dmax firing order goes, it is basically the classic 4-7 swap of a small or big block chevy. It seems different because the cylinders are numbered differently between classic V-8 Chevy and Dmax.

The 4-7 swap was originally done to help with cylinder filling. With 18436572, cyls 5 and 7 right next to each other, cyl 7 didn't fill as well in normally aspirated open plenum style intake manifolds.

The firing order I use (and what Jon has concluded) is the current Chevy LS engine firing order. :D

What has to change in the tuning to run an alt fire cam? The "tune" shouldn't have to change, just wondering where firing order is determined... (I have EFI Live but haven't looked at it in over 3 years.)

Edit: Just read Guy's post and it looks like re-wiring injectors is how it's done. While much like me swapping the 4/7 spark plug wires on my BBC with alt fire cam, I would have thought there would be an easier way (without rewiring).

When we first started this in early 2010, I asked EFILive about it and was told that the firing order was hard coded into the OS. No table existed that would allow us to change the order. :(

The Bosch racing software will allow you to enter any order you like. :thumb: You can also change the orientation of the crank reluctor wheel relative to TDC in the software. I had a customer install his reluctor wheel 90 degrees off and we just rewrote the parameter in the Bosch software. :woott:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The LMM OS has some funky rationality checks and in it. For instance, if it senses more than 4 degrees difference in the orientation of the crank at TDC and the cam position sensor trigger, it will prevent the engine from starting...........

I wonder if some LBZ OS also have this.
When I first broke my crank (behind the #4 main) I could still fire it up and it would run and bang like hell, but still ran.
Each time I did this, and the noise got worse, it would start and then all of a sudden it would no longer start. It had a code for the crank sensors being out of sync with each other or something like that.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Very good reading! Now this will probably come back to get me but here goes! Why has my motor not broken a crank yet? It leaves the line at 4000 shifts at 5100 and see's 5400 in the lights. It's the crank from my white truck that I bought new and has been raced since day 1. That crank has to have passes in the quarter mile than just about everyone here together! It has been at 900 to 1000 hp or better it hole life. I run Guys cam and balancer and always have since day one. I also run a very light piston (748 grams) light rods (1098) and had a very good shop do the balance that didn't just balance it to a 50/50 balance. I broke a flexplate at BG race in the lights and it shook like a queer eating a dot dog at over 5000 rpm and all was good when I looked at the bearings. It just should not have lived after that!!! It should have been in 2 pieces. I wish we had the answers but I think it's more with harmonics/vibrations than anything. If it were block or crank alignment you would see it in the bearings. Now I pry to god this thing doesn't spit the crank out of it now the next time I run it. LOL Jeff

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Keep up the work all that are trying to figure it out! Anything that anyone learns will only help out everyone with these money pits!

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Piston weight in grams includes:piston Piston Pin Rings Pin Retainers

You can see the effect of what a different rod length, Stroke, weight, or RPM will have on the rotating inertia of your engine.

Piston Weight: 1300 Grams

RPM: 5000

Stroke: 3.900 Inches

Rod Length: 6.420 Inches

Your AVG Inertia Force per rod is 3,968.80 pounds.

Your Stroke/Rod Ratio is 0.30 .

Your Rod/Stroke Ratio is 1.65 .

Effect of Rod/Stroke on TDC and BDC inertia force:

Your Upward Inertia Force per rod at TDC is 5,174.27 pounds.

Your Downward Inertia Force per rod at BDC is 2,763.32 pounds.

I just plugged in a few #'s for demonstration. only.

Last edited:

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Here is only 4000 RPM inertial weight on crank.

RPM: 4000

Stroke: 3.900

Your Inertia Force per rod is 2,540.03 pounds.

Your Upward Inertia Force per rod at TDC is 3,311.54 pounds.

Your Downward Inertia Force per rod at BDC is 1,768.53 pounds.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ok, so alt fire cams may help reduce harmonics that possibly are the cause of damage to the cranks. Cool.
Lets keep it on topic about cranks here as per Fingers original discussion and leave the pissing match out of it-or start up another thread about alt fire cams maybe seeing as they are getting more discussion now.
Thanks.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
This thread is about Cranks, their failures and what might be the root cause there of. Solutions welcome, keep the politics to yourself.

Last edited:

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Piston weight in grams includes:piston Piston Pin Rings Pin Retainers

You can see the effect of what a different rod length, Stroke, weight, or RPM will have on the rotating inertia of your engine.

RPM: 5000

Stroke: 3.900 Inches

Your AVG Inertia Force per rod is 3,968.80 pounds.

Your Upward Inertia Force per rod at TDC is 5,174.27 pounds.

Your Downward Inertia Force per rod at BDC is 2,763.32 pounds.

I just plugged in a few #'s for demonstration. only.

These equations are not exact And would be higher as the recipricating end of the rod and rotational end of rod are not taken into consideration. Also worthy of note is the added combustion pressure on the way to BDC and compression on the way to TDC. The dynamic #'s would baffle most.

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
Don't know how much this adds to the discussion, but i saw this blurb on the Confederate Diesel site along with the pictures of the bearings:

"Here are some bearings from a bent crank. This happens to stock engines and as well as 1200 hp units. Internal balanced cranks, and external balanced cranks. The failure has always been at #2 main bearing area in every case. Some have been detected early such as this case where the crank on v blocks has bent .004" . The root cause has yet to be determined.

http://catalog.mahleclevite.com/bearing/ is a good technical guide"

See: http://www.confederatediesel.com/duramax-crank-failure.html

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Not sure how much pressure we produce within these engines, but, here is an example from EPI inc on their website concerning diesels and their Contemporary Crankshaft Design article.

"...while contemporary high-performance Compresion-Ignition (CI) engines can see combustion pressures in excess of 200bar (2900psi). A pressure of 100 bar acting on a 4.00 inch diameter piston will produce a force of 18,221 pounds. A pressure of 200 bar acting on a 4.00 inch diameter piston produces a force of 36,442 pounds..."

Status
Not open for further replies.