Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
would a dampener that's already on the market such as a fluid damper or the super damper do the job with an alternate firing cam? I know they don't seem to keep the breaks from happening as of now but with the different cam would they help?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
would a dampener that's already on the market such as a fluid damper or the super damper do the job with an alternate firing cam? I know they don't seem to keep the breaks from happening as of now but with the different cam would they help?

Wondering this as well. Since alt fire seems to me most effective thus far, but a different damper could be a simpler solution. In my mind, as with most things, a person would think you would see the greatest benefit from doing both.

I've yet to break my crank, but if I do I'm glad I found and read all this stuff. I don't understand it completely, but I get the gist at least. Definitely have to look into the alt fire crank if I do have issues.

Fingers, any suggestions on dampers that would work well combined with an alt fire cam?

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
The only thing left to learn is having somebody with about 20 crankshafts minimum and going into depth with material analysis and breaking point analysis as well. Something that can't be done on a forum through pictures.

Besides the usual dampers with the rubber insulator, Cat uses a pendulum style on their 3406E cams, some racing engines use that as well on their crankshafts. Then we have viscous. As of right now I can not comment on which but its something to think on as far as differing designs.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
do you guys think that when adding a second cp3. if you could underdrive some of the other accessories to make up for the extra load do you think it would help? not that that's the main cause but im sure it would help. maybe power both of them off of the cam gear some how that way the load is farther back on the crank? just brainstorming I have some hairbrained ideas sometimes.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Harmonic balancers come in three varieties.

1. Flywheel masses. These are just inertia pieces that absorb the energy with their sheer mass.
  2. Absorbing/Dampners. These would include the fluid and rubber isolation types. They dissipate the offending vibration's energy by passing it through a medium of some sort.
  3. Active Snubbing. These systems use either a mechanical or electronic control to introduce a negative, cancelling vibration back into the system. Think noise canceling headphones here.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Too bad TCI doesn't make one for a dmax.

Since they say they only change them for the number of cylinders, I wonder if you could take a V8 balancer and machine the center to fit a Duramax crank. You'd have to add the correct counterweight for balance unless you were running an internally balanced crank, but maybe it would work. It's an interesting design for sure.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I shot them an E-mail this morning to see if it may be something they are working on, or considering. My thoughts were the same Josh, use the 8" big block chevy.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I am stupid...but if we have extra drag on the front of the engine, why not balance it out with a heavier flywheel. I understand the idea having the lest amount of rotating mass, but don't you have to balance your mass.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Read the thread, have an engineering background, love what you're doing working around a proven weak point but... I don't know how you put up with this man.

St. Fingers, patron saint of patience and layman's explanations...

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Maybe I'm too used to work... being able to tell people to sit in the corner and color while I figure something out.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Flywheels only work if the cyclic forces being applied do not tickle the harmonic of the system. Think of the Opera singer breaking a glass. Her voice is matching the harmonic of the glass. As such, the amplitude of the vibrations in the glass build and build till the glass shatters. Tie a rubber band around the glass and the vibrations never build up.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Read the thread, have an engineering background, love what you're doing working around a proven weak point but... I don't know how you put up with this man.

St. Fingers, patron saint of patience and layman's explanations...

:roflmao:

I think out loud a lot....

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I have read this thread a couple times. There is a lot of good info and great in depth thinking very interesting to me.

I know metal impurities has been mentioned before. What about a combination of metal impurities or inconsistencies and workers in the foundry(s) not giving a shit or paying close enough attention? Not my crank not my problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.