Built motor using oil

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
Sounds like you might have covered this, but did the rings get staggered properly on the piston? I had a tractor come in with 100 hours for an oil consupmtion complaint and found that two of the pistons has the rings in a line. I replace the rings lightly honed the cylinders and the customers problem went away. After a heavy load on the dyno to seat things in.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Sounds like you might have covered this, but did the rings get staggered properly on the piston? I had a tractor come in with 100 hours for an oil consupmtion complaint and found that two of the pistons has the rings in a line. I replace the rings lightly honed the cylinders and the customers problem went away. After a heavy load on the dyno to seat things in.

That was the first thing to come to my mind. I would check turbo, and if it checks out comp and leakdown test for sure.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Holy hell, gone for a few hours fixin a buddy samurai and shits gone done lmao.

Anywho, i checked the down pipe and no oil in it. Ill pull the hot pipe between the two turbos next to see if there is anything there. I viable, my stock turbo has c hair bit of in and out play. Boy if i were only so lucky lol

I tripple checked ring indexing before i tapped them down in the bore. Top and bottom rings are 180* off with oil ring being 60* off the top ring via the gm service manual.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Where did you put the gaps? When I worked at Cummins I was told by an engineer to not put the gaps inline with the wristpin. With the way a piston can slighty rock in the bore it could cause a ring to bind up. A ring will rotate slighty during run-in so this is very rarely an issue. When we did temp plug testing on pistons (3-8hr run times) you would be surprised at how much they move from where you installed them.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Hope u get it figured out bud. Is my thinking wrong that even though these r forced induction motors, at idle, with no boost the piston would draw a suction. Seems like u would notice some blue smoke though. Keep us updated

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Where did you put the gaps? When I worked at Cummins I was told by an engineer to not put the gaps inline with the wristpin. With the way a piston can slighty rock in the bore it could cause a ring to bind up. A ring will rotate slighty during run-in so this is very rarely an issue. When we did temp plug testing on pistons (3-8hr run times) you would be surprised at how much they move from where you installed them.

they are 90* off of the wrist pins, ive been told the same thing about them moving but i still cant see them moving directly back inline with one another though that could be my luck

Hope u get it figured out bud. Is my thinking wrong that even though these r forced induction motors, at idle, with no boost the piston would draw a suction. Seems like u would notice some blue smoke though. Keep us updated

i do not believe so otherwise you should be able to see it on a regular vac/boost gauge and since that was my very first cheap gauge i put in the truck looooooong ago, i never saw it dip below 0. if there is any vac, i dont believe its enough to suck this much oil.

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
Guys prices have come way down but So Cal Diesel is a state of the art facility and those things cost money, he isn't your run of the mill machine shop

And your definition of a run of the mill machine shop is?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
hmmm... if they were forged pistons i would understand that but considering they are stock cast im guessing something is definitely wrong :( Have you been in touch with guy?

Forged or not run the truck hard from a cold start. If you are having issue with rings then start it get it up to temp and then shut it down in a warm Place...... After 45 min start it and throw urbiggest tune In and wot it!
Then shut er down. Google break in procedures and you will get the just

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
little update.

im slow at workin on it, specially with this being a busy time of year.

ran a comrpession test today

cyl: 1-380, 2-380, 3-380, 4-370, 5-370, 6-380, 7-380, 8-380.

gunna pull the hot pipe next. otherwise, best i can assume is heads no?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
~25,000 on my rebuild, no oil use.

James, if the turbo and I/C piping is void of oil, then Id look at the valve seals/guides. Your comp numbers are good.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats good news James

lol yes and no, still may have to yank the top end off......

~25,000 on my rebuild, no oil use.

James, if the turbo and I/C piping is void of oil, then Id look at the valve seals/guides. Your comp numbers are good.

yeah im thinkin the same. is there any other possible ideas im not thinkin of before i go yankin heads? im really dreading it :(

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Is there ANY evidence of an oil leak under the truck? I mean anything.....valve covers, rear main area, front cover, loose side oil galley bolt, oil cooler?

PCV system fail? Leaking from the drain tube on the front cover?

Im curious....what has Guy had to say on the subject? Has he given you any leads to follow?

Last edited:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Is there ANY evidence of an oil leak under the truck? I mean anything.....valve covers, rear main area, front cover, loose side oil galley bolt, oil cooler?

Im curious....what has Guy had to say on the subject? Has he given you any leads to follow?

Yeah I was thinking a high psi leak that squirts oil onto the road perfectly at WOT.

With James luck its possible.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Not one leak. Leaks bug the hell out of me so id fix them asap anyhow. Specially on a clean motor.

Im gunna call guy wednesday, was waiti g till i did compression test first.