Built motor using oil

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
How are your drain lines? Any drips from under the truck?

Dont feel bad, the 86 porsche is about to burn down...took it within 2k of redline and got some electrical smoke from the dash.

SHES GOING DOWN!! :roflmao: :(

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
You didnt have the heads taken down and checked, but you took it to an over expensive engine builder?

Guys prices have come way down but So Cal Diesel is a state of the art facility and those things cost money, he isn't your run of the mill machine shop

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How are your drain lines? Any drips from under the truck?

Dont feel bad, the 86 porsche is about to burn down...took it within 2k of redline and got some electrical smoke from the dash.

SHES GOING DOWN!! :roflmao: :(

drain lines look great. and no leaks. leaks drive me nuts anyhow so id fix them in a heart beat.

lmao! lets go for a ride before shes fully blown the f*** up! :rofl:

You didnt have the heads taken down and checked, but you took it to an over expensive engine builder?

i took the heads to him as they needed to be machined flat. they were tested and two vavles leaked at their seats but at the time i could not afford to have all the valves and seats redone even if i took them else where. They came off the truck and gave me no issue before hand so i rolled the dice after having them machined flat and ran them. Did it bite me in the ass? maybe.

And no, for what guy has under his roof and how intricate he is, their is no way hes overly expensive. I felt there was no one competent in AZ to handle my first dmax build for machine work after calling and talking to alot of them, and since guy is in my back yard, i put what chips i had left in his hand to set me up right. i honestly would never change that decision, brian and i learned alot from Guy and he really knows his shit lol

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
a leaky valve seat creates a suction, thats probably where ur oil is going.. all that loot and u didnt fix those?:confused:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
He has all sorts of fancy equiptment but let you skip out on something very very basic. Whats the point of a braniac with fancy tools if he doesnt warn you of simple basic engine building practices. He should have told you to hold off on finishing until the heads checked out fine. I would switch out to a heavier oil too to help mask the issue until someone can correctly fix the issue.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a leaky valve seat creates a suction, thats probably where ur oil is going.. all that loot and u didnt fix those?:confused:

if the seal is good, how is it any different than the valve being open running without any boost at all? unless the valve seals in these truck are not like gassers.

He has all sorts of fancy equiptment but let you skip out on something very very basic. Whats the point of a braniac with fancy tools if he doesnt warn you of simple basic engine building practices. He should have told you to hold off on finishing until the heads checked out fine. I would switch out to a heavier oil too to help mask the issue until someone can correctly fix the issue.

Lol ok ben, if a customer told me he didnt want something done, i would voice my opinion (such as guy did) and if i was still told no, i would do as he wanted. again, im not pointing fingers here. this could very well be my own fault and im not about to blaim Guy for the fact of why he didnt stop me from making that choice. Now lets move on from that.

And no, im not gunna run a heavier oil. my mains and rod bearings are not opened up any more than factory, if they were set looser i would run 50w but im not gunna chance spinning a bearing.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
if the piston is on the down stroke its going to create a suction, the cylinder has to be completly sealed other wise its going to pull oil from the cylinder head. if u have a leaky seat the cylinder isnt going to seal

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if the piston is on the down stroke its going to create a suction, the cylinder has to be completly sealed other wise its going to pull oil from the cylinder head. if u have a leaky seat the cylinder isnt going to seal

Ok now hear me out, maybe ive got the wrong train of thought. Diesels dont create vaccum in the intake nor the exhaust due to their design. they are either at atmosphereic pressure or above it. so a vaccum in the combustion chamber can not happen, thus why a diesel thrives on boost and high compression as compared to gassers (well gasser like it too i guess lol). there are other things as well but this is just a general thinking.

Now when the intake valve opens, air is pushed in (no intake valves on mine leak), its closed and compression/ignition happens next after the injector fires. Then the exhaust valve opens and gasses are expent. the only way i forsee any oil coming out of the head is via a bad valve stem seal and/or bad guide that caused the seal to allow oil in. If my seals/guides are not leaking, a bad valve seat can not draw in oil, no? only reduce my compression (in my thought).

Now, before the motor was torn down, it didnt use a drop of oil. as soon as it went back together is when it start. Basing how the heads were before, im assuming they are good. They very well could have ate up a seal and now its eat oil due to it so im not ruling it out.

i just dont see how a bad valve seat can cause you to eat oil unless your head is cracked, bad headgasket or worn/bad valve stem seal and guides.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you had a problem with seats you surely had a problem with guides. I have yet to do a set of heads that didn't need guides. Is your exhaust messier than normal?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you had a problem with seats you surely had a problem with guides. I have yet to do a set of heads that didn't need guides. Is your exhaust messier than normal?

not at the tip. i may try yankin the manifolds after doin a compression/leak down test though. that ought to yield something id think.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
not at the tip. i may try yankin the manifolds after doin a compression/leak down test though. that ought to yield something id think.

Should show you something. Do it with a warm engine. I know its a pain to do that way.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

Ever since you had someone build your engine you post like you know what your talking about.. You know nothing about Guy's shop. Ive been there, I know how much he has in equipment.. Clearly points out you know nothing about what your talking about by giving advice saying to "run thicker oil to mask the issue up" Jesus man, STFU already! :thumb:

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Could it be a bad oil ring on one of the pistons? im guessing you used new rings?

My motor has about 5k on it and probably has 30 passes at 700-750 and hasnt burnt a drop of oil ... yet lol

i drove it around 800-1000 miles at 400hp to break it in constantly varying RPMS.