Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
the cam is the brain of the motor .

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dumbest thing I ever heard.
What have you done numbnuts? How fast have you gone? I don't race and don't build motors. I don't give advice on motor building like you.
Show me something. Post it .
I think you are nothing but a bench racer with internet aquired knowledge. :baby:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
You want the TRUTH??

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

I'm one of those who has ran 3 different Dmax cams.

It's a pretty small club.

Just like I first found out in 1979: On a turbo motor, the cam is not as important like it is in a NA engine.

Yes, there are gains possible, but not big ones.

Boost is King. It trumps displacement, cam profiles, or head work. You cram it in, and it will go.

sent from Drunk-a-Type...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Has anyone seen blackdirtymax race anything?

Sent from my Dell computer and I don't have a god damn tapatfricken talk.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
You want the TRUTH??

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

I'm one of those who has ran 3 different Dmax cams.

It's a pretty small club.

Just like I first found out in 1979: On a turbo motor, the cam is not as important like it is in a NA engine.

Yes, there are gains possible, but not big ones.

Boost is King. It trumps displacement, cam profiles, or head work. You cram it in, and it will go.

sent from Drunk-a-Type...

I agree Pat , stock heads and cam never held me back an inch , I am going with cam this year but my only hope is better spooling when in semi naturally aspirated mode until turbo's light and boost takes over and does its magic :D

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Dumbest thing I ever heard.
What have you done numbnuts? How fast have you gone? I don't race and don't build motors. I don't give advice on motor building like you.
Show me something. Post it .
I think you are nothing but a bench racer with internet aquired knowledge. :baby:

Remove the camshaft from your new LML. How good will it run?:confused:

If you don't race, and you don't build motors, why are you arguing with someone about it?

Part of the reason a camshaft swap doesn't make big gains in a Duramax is that the camshaft is a pretty well designed piece in stock form.

And the other part Pat has already mentioned, forced induction changes/lessens the need for the heads and camshaft to be perfectly matched to each individual application.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I agree Pat , stock heads and cam never held me back an inch , I am going with cam this year but my only hope is better spooling when in semi naturally aspirated mode until turbo's light and boost takes over and does its magic :D

And I do run a cam with ported heads. :lildevil:

Why? In my situation, 199.99mph is 100mph slower than 200.000 mph.

Everything I can legally do to make more power is fair game.

But for a typical build? Spend your money elsewhere. If you are going for the record, by all means, pull out the stops. But for budget builds, spend your money on the charger or dyno time.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
And I do run a cam with ported heads. :lildevil:

Why? In my situation, 199.99mph is 100mph slower than 200.000 mph.

Everything I can legally do to make more power is fair game.

But for a typical build? Spend your money elsewhere. If you are going for the record, by all means, pull out the stops. But for budget builds, spend your money on the charger or dyno time.

I will have heads one day when I grow up , but for now still too much $$ , some mild porting and bowl work may be in the cards this year though :please: Although with the turbo's I am using this year not sure I will need it :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

If you don't race, and you don't build motors, why are you arguing with someone about it?

Part of the reason a camshaft swap doesn't make big gains in a Duramax is that the camshaft is a pretty well designed piece in stock form.

And the other part Pat has already mentioned, forced induction changes lessens the need for the heads and camshaft to be perfectly matched to each individual application.

Mike has been deeply involved with my trucks and many others. I'd listen to him. He doesn't rely on Internet NoHow.

No, the Dmax cam is NOT designed for 4500+ RPM. Neither was my KZ650 cam designed for 12,000rpm. But boost changes things. Turbos like mild cams with small duration and overlap. It extends the RPM range and peak HP RPM.

Oct 21, 2009
Don't take me the wrong way, not being mean, the cam is the brain of the motor . If you hold the valve open father and longer gives you more air. More air is more power!
And you don't have to spend 4 grand to get some good results. No one said just go buy Guy's Mack daddy headsSent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just to make a note: Your paying for more then a port job when you buy these heads so your paying for more then just improved flow.:thumb:

Stage 2

(This is currently our maximum effort cylinder head offering) We start with qualified cylinder head cores which are then CNC ported and treated to the following:

• Complete simultaneous 5 axis CNC porting of all ports and bowls guarantees repeatability port to port every time. Hand grinding this type of cylinder head and expecting repeatable results is an exercise in futility. You may get one or two good bowls or ports but let's face facts, humans get tired, CNC machines don't!

• 32 SoCal Diesel Bronze valve guides.

• Precision 5 angle valve job. We maintain the factory measurement spec from the deck to the valve.

• All 32 Valve seats are removed and oversize seats are installed to accomodate the oversize valves.

• 32 SoCal Diesel hardned O.D. spring cup bases.

• 32 SoCal Diesel oversize valves. Stainless Intake and Inconel exhaust.

• 32 SoCal Diesel Steel retainers.

• 32 SoCal Diesel Beehive "Ovate" wire valve springs. We designed these springs specifically for the performance needs of a Duramax. They are made specifically for SoCal Diesel and are not available from anyone else.

• 32 New Valve stem seals.

• Prior to assembly the cylinder head deck surface is given a clean up cut to insure flatness.

Guy also has stage 1 heads that are about half the price

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

And the other part Pat has already mentioned, forced induction changes lessens the need for the heads and camshaft to be perfectly matched to each individual application.
Here you are being stupid.

What kind of stupid question is that? ( first one )
You have fidlefu..ked a couple of transmissions and have been giving advice before you ever saw the inside of one. You posted what you were told to post by your daddy.
As far as the rest of your argument, you agree with me. Are you drinking tonight cause you sure don't make any sense.
I stated that the cam is not the brain of the engine and I called out someone who gives big time advise ( like you used to do ) with nothing to back him up.
How do you like my converter? I gaurantee it ain't Steve's.:spit:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
For those in Rio Linda: "How high does the Hood Lift?" is a hysterical, errr Historical reference. There was a time when torque converters were evaluated based on how high the hood would lift when power-braked.

When actual track testing was done, TTS (This Thing Sucks) proclaimed that hood lift was a better barometer than real world performance.

Converters aren't "one size fits all" devices.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
You guys who say a cam makes no power difference obvously dont build engines, or dont know how to degree a cam in to see the positive and negitive effects of being off base.

Or have a builder that dont want to/or know how to spec a cam properly. Its a fact, one size dont fit all!

Camshaft does several things if speced correctly

Build boost faster
Drop overall boost
lowers EGT's
Improves airflow dramatically
Extends RPM ranges
Extends peak power
Extends power bands

done correctly will gain HP and TQ.

i also agree that boost helps make more power too, but boost also has it's downsides.....

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
You guys who say a cam makes no power difference obvously dont build engines, or dont know how to degree a cam in to see the positive and negitive effects of being off base.

Or have a builder that dont want to/or know how to spec a cam properly. Its a fact, one size dont fit all!

Build boost faster
Drop overall boost
lowers EGT's
Extends RPM ranges
Extends peak power
Extends power bands

i also agree that boost helps make more power too, but boost also has it's downsides.....

Let me guess. You're selling cams now?

I degreed my first cam in 1976. Exactly what makes you bitchin'?

You're not new, you're not improved, you're not the hot setup.

What is your claim to bitchinness?

If I put Casper's "A" engine in your car, it would actually run some fast 1/4 mile ET's (even with your gearing).

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga

Build boost faster
Drop overall boost
lowers EGT's
Extends RPM ranges
Extends peak power
Extends power bands

Exactly where I was going with this till grandpa decided to be mr. Big shot and " call me out"!!! Yeah I am a benchracer but ain't we all!!!! Lol.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

Build boost faster
Drop overall boost
lowers EGT's
Extends RPM ranges
Extends peak power
Extends power bands

How do you know yours was done correctly , lets see the dyno runs or drag strip difference between yours and the stocker ? what was the gain in both HP AND ET ? how much more HP have you made than my 1150 hp on the stock cam ? Not saying a cam is pointless as I am buying one , and both Pat and myself both agreed there are gains to be had, but both agree the stock parts are adequate for all but the most serious builds unless budget is not an issue .

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
And just to set the record straight I have no beef with anyone, all in fun lmao

Sent from my "WELCOME TO 2011" phone

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I would say it depends on the trucks dutys... if you plan on sled pulling, and being competitive at a national level, the cam most certainly has a lot to do with where your going to end up. When you have inducer limits and cant just shove as much air as possible into the motor, you have to rely on head porting and cam profiles. A stock cam/head truck isnt going to cut it imo. You might not not be able to gain 100hp from the cam, but if you can move the 100 hp where you need it, its defenatly the difference between competing and getting beat.