Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Well she is setting on the floor with a wiggly balancer. The more testing I did, the more noise started happening so I said the hell with it and pulled it. When I took the belt off, the balancer was flopping around. When this first started, you couldn't move the balancer so it didn't take long to go ahead and break.

Damn man that sucks, sorry to hear that.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Damn that's crap breaking a crank in a built motor. When I had mine magged last year it was cracked but hadn't let go.

Yeah it really makes you loose faith in it with only 4,000 or so miles on the build and it was a brand new crank. If the rest of the engine is usable, going to put the old LMM crank back in it

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
That's a big bummer man sorry to hear that. Biggest reason I haven't built mine is rebuilding it. The initial 10k isn't a big deal its when it breaks again and again. If I had a RC/LB that would be a different story but a CC/SB... No longer worth it to me

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
All this is really making me rethink this go fast shit. The more I read the more I think I'll just beat on this stock motor. If it blows just put another $4k motor in and go again.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If my crank let's go and it don't tear shit up, I'll just throw another in it. If it chews things up, stocker goin in and I'm looking for a new truck

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
All this is really making me rethink this go fast shit. The more I read the more I think I'll just beat on this stock motor. If it blows just put another $4k motor in and go again.

To be totally honest, I had more fun with stock engines in my LBZ and my first LB7. Over 100k miles of 500rwhp combined and not one problem. Building a motor is fun, puts a smile on your face, but at the end of the day your cost vs fun ratio is 100% different :roflmao:

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
The most fun I ever had pulling was with a stock motor. Like other things in life the statement KISS should be followed. If my crank breaks I'm just going to hang the truck from the roof in my shop and insure it as a piece of art. LOL

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
More than likely. Seems logical if it is broke to try to keep from it again. Big question will be to buy a new crank or find a used one and get it checked out.

Nothing wrong with a used one if you get it inspected. Much cheaper than new and you do know what you have. Only as good as the machine shop though.

I know if mine lets go im getting out of it.

Sorry to hear Kyle, :eek:

And going to Cummins? Or buying a ring?

The most fun I ever had pulling was with a stock motor. Like other things in life the statement KISS should be followed. If my crank breaks I'm just going to hang the truck from the roof in my shop and insure it as a piece of art. LOL

x2, stock motor 2.8 charger and mostly have projects that took more time than money. Building a motor throws that ratio way out of proportion by 10 fold.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Sorry to hear Harbin that sucks. :mad:

That's why I quit. My puller was nothing but a huge headache for the money and time invested. Most fun I had was my lly pulling work stock. The good old days! :thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Most fun was going from 13.0-12.3 then to 11.8's even though I was stuck on 12.1 for 2 years?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Things have certainly changed, when I bought my 02 my goal was to have a 13 sec truck, meaning 13.99. After that the price per second gets unreasonable. Get in the 11's and the cost per tenth is just as much it seems.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA

You can hang it next to ours, or I'll bring you ours to hang next to yours to keep each other company, lmao! That way they are at least in the company of other used to be pulling trucks...

IMPACTZONE

Jul 3, 2014
2012 LML bad crank

im battling with GM on this right now but also want to share that there is a federal law the allows use of aftermarket parts and manufactures can only void specific sections of your wrnty if they can prove the said aftermarket part caused said problem it is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act here are a few links to help you I run a bullydog gt on my truck and bully dog has been very helpful!!!

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
im battling with GM on this right now but also want to share that there is a federal law the allows use of aftermarket parts and manufactures can only void specific sections of your wrnty if they can prove the said aftermarket part caused said problem it is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act here are a few links to help you I run a bullydog gt on my truck and bully dog has been very helpful!!!

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts
Your info is correct but unfortunately this is not how it works. They void your warranty knowing most cant afford to hire a lawyer to fight them.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Your info is correct but unfortunately this is not how it works. They void your warranty knowing most cant afford to hire a lawyer to fight them.

x2. GM is going to laugh and spit in your face if you blow your truck up and then come crawling back to the dealer waving the magnusson-moss BS flag.

That (the MM act) may have had a slight bit of merit in the 1970's, but today it doesnt mean jack diddly.