Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Just wondering for you guys that have bent/broke a crank. I drove it about 3miles home, ran for maybe 15min in the shop, and I can't see any signs of metal in the oil. I would think it should have been beating the mains out of it with that much run time.

verlon drove his close to 400 miles after breaking his and 2-3 1/4mile passes.

bearings still looked fine. now this isnt common i would imagine but just a FWIW

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
More than likely. Seems logical if it is broke to try to keep from it again. Big question will be to buy a new crank or find a used one and get it checked out.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Might be adding another the list. Going to pull my engine this week and tear it down I believe.

Went WOT on the race tune from 3rd through 5th, slowed down to 30mph or so to make sure it was out of 4wd and when I started to speed back up, had a terrible vibration. Balancer appears to be wobbling. Balance rates are good, but getiing a cylinder 1&2 misfire. Took converter bolts out to rule it out and the vibration is still there. Balancer key is still good. May get an oil analysis because I can't see any metal in it yet. Might swap some injectors around and do a compression test but I feel like I am pissing in the wind.

Anybody let me borrow a match?

Damm...:mad:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
That sucks! I'm not so keen on using a new crank only because it seems like they can have casting flaws in them from the factory. It's like a crap shoot from what I've seen. Either way I'd get it inspected.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Cut the filter first. It's the best way to determine what is going on.

I never found anything in my filter. And hardly anything in the pan. Didn't run a whole lot though once it started vibrating. Maybe 5-10 min on the Hwy before it shut down.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I never found anything in my filter. And hardly anything in the pan. Didn't run a whole lot though once it started vibrating. Maybe 5-10 min on the Hwy before it shut down.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Normally with any engine noise it will tell you what you want to know or not know... No debris, there is a chance. Loaded filter, your Phooked:D but there are always exceptions.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Well she is setting on the floor with a wiggly balancer. The more testing I did, the more noise started happening so I said the hell with it and pulled it. When I took the belt off, the balancer was flopping around. When this first started, you couldn't move the balancer so it didn't take long to go ahead and break.