Blown motor=Build time

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The motor is out. Converter bolts are usually taken out through the starter hole. But my motor won't turn over even with a long pipe

By cutting the flex plate around the converter bolts not the converter but the plate

ok, with the pic above, how are you accessing the plate well enough to cut the plate from each bolt?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Heads are off guys. How do yall think I got a pic of the cracked piston or the lifters out. Lol

That's what I thought just wasn't sure why they were back on?

Was it just the one cylinder that looked like that? Missing anything, lifter, pushrod? Do you have all the gears under the front cover separated so one isn't locking up another?

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
That's what I thought just wasn't sure why they were back on?

Was it just the one cylinder that looked like that? Missing anything, lifter, pushrod? Do you have all the gears under the front cover separated so one isn't locking up another?

That pic was before I took the heads off. I have the cam gear off. Number 7 is piston that's cracked. Number 8 had the broken lifter. Pretty much every pushrod is bent. And hole in block is between 5 and 7

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
I feel like nobody's actually reading anything except the last post and agreeing with them. I'm asking for help on ways I can get the converter off. After that's off I can get the flywheel off, upper oil pan off and then take apart the motor like normal in a sense. The big kicker is the motor won't turn over what so ever

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Torch the ring gear and flange off, then sawzall the converter bolt heads off. Best I can think of

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ring gear is the big gear on the flex plate. A plasma cutter following the flex plate just below the ring gear ran all the way around would be the easiest way, then you should be able to see the converter bolts. You may even be able to unbolt them with a wrench.

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
Got number 7 piston out the top and also got a chunk out that was pushing on the cam. Motor still won't turn over no more than a 1/4 turn. The cam is broken in two between 5 and 7

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Can you make a custom bent wrench to get in to the converter bolts?

You really did a number on that engine.:thumb:

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I just dealt with same issue 2 days ago. I simply saws all the converter bolt heads off. Plenty of room between the flywheel and flex plate.
Be very easy if you don't care about the flex plate.