Blown motor=Build time

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I don't like the thought of switching a used standard fire crank to af. It's asking for trouble. Swap it now and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was gonna say this too. It's controversial whether or not to use a AF cam with a used crank.
One member here broke a used crank with a AF cam.
I would use the cam you have or sell the cam and crank and buy both new.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I don't think switching to an AF cam is going to be a problem. I couldn't see it making anything worse. I could see there being previous stress points or microfractures started that could still expose themselves and break the crank, but I don't think switching from regular firing order to alternate would bring these stress points out.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I don't think switching to an AF cam is going to be a problem. I couldn't see it making anything worse. I could see there being previous stress points or microfractures started that could still expose themselves and break the crank, but I don't think switching from regular firing order to alternate would bring these stress points out.

X2, from what I have seen, swapping to an AF cam with used crank will minimize the risk, swapping in a new crank even minimizes it even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I would also like to know if there has been any new crank/af cam failures. I know ive seen a few used crank/af cam failures. I understand what awenta is saying though, run the crank with the stock firing order and the damage could already be done.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
It seems like when most people are putting in AF cams they are building motor to put out way more power. Witch brings out the weak point

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
Dug a lil deeper last night. But since the motor won't turn over I can't get the converter off the flywheel. Hence I can't get the flywheel off, so how do I get the lower oil pan off? I can't fit a socket or wrench on the two bolts that go through the rear cover to the lower oil pan

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
your more than likely going to have to pull the converter with it still on the flex plate. thats probably what Jake did. be prepared for a trans oil all over the ground

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
your more than likely going to have to pull the converter with it still on the flex plate. thats probably what Jake did. be prepared for a trans oil all over the ground

The motor is out. Converter bolts are usually taken out through the starter hole. But my motor won't turn over even with a long pipe

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
pull the lower and upper pan and see if you cant get the piston or chunk of crap out of the way so you can turn the crank.

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
pull the lower and upper pan and see if you cant get the piston or chunk of crap out of the way so you can turn the crank.

That's another problem. The two bolts goin through rear cover to the upper oil pan won't allow for a socket because of the flywheel. And a wrench won't go on it either the way the castings are