Blown motor=Build time

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I guess what I meant was if you are going to pin the cam and crank why not go all out on a build.

Or treat it like garbage and hope it holds.

I'd rather risk running the stock block at high numbers and when it blows just build it than build the block sooner

Agreed but I think a lot of people new to the sport or newer don't realize they are a weak point cause it doesn't come up hardly ever anymore

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Custom auto is who I would recommend. Their pricing isn't through the roof and they have been turning out quite a bit of motors since they moved all their machine work in house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
Well I scored a fresh build yesterday
Carrillo rods
Fingers oval bowl Pistons 16:1
Lb7 crank balanced
Arp main studs
SoCal billet main caps
SoCal Billet flywheel
Merchant mounts
PPE balancer
Curtis Halverson cam but will be swapping in a SoCal AF 6480

Also gonna send factory heads off to be ported and have valve springs installed. Will also have stronger pushrods and prolly billet rocker bridges

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I don't like the thought of switching a used standard fire crank to af. It's asking for trouble. Swap it now and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
I don't like the thought of switching a used standard fire crank to af. It's asking for trouble. Swap it now and be done with it.

I am swapping in a new SoCal AF6480 cam. Pulling the crank at this point would require a lot more work. If it breaks it breaks but hopefully being balanced and the AF cam will help prevent crank breakage

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

why?

just to add my 2 cents. im running the stock crank my truck had in it. 200k on it and 35k of it in the built motor. Ive seen new ones break and used ones break in built motors. no one has a difinitive answer to a new one being better than a used other than the "new must be better" train of thought.

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
why?

just to add my 2 cents. im running the stock crank my truck had in it. 200k on it and 35k of it in the built motor. Ive seen new ones break and used ones break in built motors. no one has a difinitive answer to a new one being better than a used other than the "new must be better" train of thought.

I agree with this as well! All I keep reading that causes crank breakage is harmonics. All we can do is try to reduce as much of that as possible and hope

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You're using a crank that has already been stressed and now you're changing the way it's stressed. There might be internal damage that can't be seen.

Granted you can get a new crank with an internal defect as well. I'm not saying new is better. I'm saying if it ran standard than keep it that way. No way you can say af helps (or doesnt) unless you run it with a new crank.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You're using a crank that has already been stressed and now you're changing the way it's stressed. There might be internal damage that can't be seen.

Granted you can get a new crank with an internal defect as well. I'm not saying new is better. I'm saying if it ran standard than keep it that way. No way you can say af helps (or doesnt) unless you run it with a new crank.

your not changing a stress pattern. your relieving stress off the crank due to firing pattern. the crank still spins the same way and sees the same chamber pressures you saw before.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Who has broke a new crank that started with a AF cam? I'm a firm believer that there is already stress on the crank also. Just don't see it worth risking the time or money. At that point why not run a standard fire cam. They are cheap now......

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Who has broke a new crank that started with a AF cam? I'm a firm believer that there is already stress on the crank also. Just don't see it worth risking the time or money. At that point why not run a standard fire cam. They are cheap now......

Would you guys care to elaborate on what you mean by stressed? id just like to see where your coming from with that meaning.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Would you guys care to elaborate on what you mean by stressed? id just like to see where your coming from with that meaning.

What's the purpose of doing a AF cam? To help reduce the back to back order on #1 main correct? Any stress you can get away from that weak spot is a plus. Even with a AF cam its still a weak point. Stress if from the constant beating its been getting the last 200000 miles.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Now inform me on who all has broke a new stock crank with a AF cam? There has been more guys breaking used cranks that cams was swapped to AF.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What's the purpose of doing a AF cam? To help reduce the back to back order on #1 main correct? Any stress you can get away from that weak spot is a plus. Even with a AF cam its still a weak point. Stress if from the constant beating its been getting the last 200000 miles.

got ya. so its fair to say, adding an AF cam will only reduce the stress to the used crank correct? You cant be sure your new crank is any stronger than your used 200k crank. you have no possible way to know without dumping a ton of money into it to check. you have to run under the assumption, at this point, "new must be better". the new one could go in and be that first one to break on an AF cam, or you could put the used one in and it last longer than the rest of the motor.

Now inform me on who all has broke a new stock crank with a AF cam? There has been more guys breaking used cranks that cams was swapped to AF.

only know of the one used one Sphinny shared with us. 0 new crank, new AF cam breaks far as i know. there again, im not all up in the Pulling guys or drag racing guys business to know who exactly broke what, let alont those that dont par take in the forums.

how many built motor truck are out there running around that have yet to break a crank on a used one?

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
I don't think there has been a new crank with AF cam break yet. I know there was a motor that snapped its crank with an AF cam but it was a used crank or an original crank something like that not sure. I used a new LBZ crank with my build.