Blown motor=Build time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You sure did a number on that engine. I find it surprising that you did all those mods, added all those parts, yet did not key the cam and crank. Sometimes its the little things you overlook that come back to bite you the worst.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
^^yup

Everything that could have happened, did.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
$16K-26K for a built shortblock?!?! Um no! Seems ridiculous to me. Maybe I'm delusional though?!?! :eek:

Wow I paid like 1,700 for my first engine machining and assembled short block. That is absolutely ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price with a core block manifolds up pipes all the machine work af cam new crank assembly redueing the heads ect ect fingers pistons all the associated stuff to assemble a long block will be in that range not just a short block

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
You sure did a number on that engine. I find it surprising that you did all those mods, added all those parts, yet did not key the cam and crank. Sometimes its the little things you overlook that come back to bite you the worst.

Stock engine? I don't a single person who tore there stock engine down to key the cam and crank just to out these mods on lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Stock engine? I don't a single person who tore there stock engine down to key the cam and crank just to out these mods on lol

If I were to put that much money into the peripheral parts like he did, you're damn right I'd do the basics first...stock bottom or not. Why do it twice?

Empire makes their crank pin tool for a reason, dont they?

Anyway, good luck, O/P. Hope your build goes smoothly and quickly.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
If I were to put that much money into the peripheral parts like he did, you're damn right I'd do the basics first...stock bottom or not. Why do it twice?

Unless I'm way off the OP blew up his stock engine, the list in the first post is what he is planning on putting in his new rebuilt motor.

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA

Guess it could have saved it, haven't really heard of anyone doin that on stock motor jus for precaution but could potentially be a good idea.

And thanks I hope it goes smoothly as well! Prayers welcome

Mattsmax

Jul 27, 2013
Barboursville, VA
Unless I'm way off the OP blew up his stock engine, the list in the first post is what he is planning on putting in his new rebuilt motor.

You are correct. He's jus saying I've invested this much money into it I should have taken the pins into consideration if I already knew I was playing with fire.. I think anyway. Lol. But I would have thought a rod bent or something before the cam pin sheared. Still not certain that's what actually happened but seems to be a good culprit so far. And after searching about the cam pin it doesn't seem to rare

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Not just pins. What I gather from Tom's post (and agree with) is bottom end comes before gofast parts.

But now you get a build!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

Nobody does it that way, everything you said makes no sense and sounds like a waste of time/money on a still stock block.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Nobody does it that way, everything you said makes no sense and sounds like a waste of time/money on a still stock block.

You are right. No one does it this way then threads like this come up soon after. To me its not worth blowing your stock block into pieces just cause you have no patience. To many guys still thinking 6-700 is safe.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

It's the "not heard about on the forums often anymore and needs addressing" issue that should be taken into account. Years ago, shearing pins wasn't uncommon but with guys bending/breaking rods before the pin has a chance at breaking or more guys not using the truck in its low end torque for towing due to turbo choice, it's not become a common thing to hear about anymore. He's not wrong Sean, it's just not as common as it once was. Kinda the "forgotten" issue. I have pics of the cam pin bent and about to break on my cam.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I guess what I meant was if you are going to pin the cam and crank why not go all out on a build.

Or treat it like garbage and hope it holds.

I'd rather risk running the stock block at high numbers and when it blows just build it than build the block sooner