Anyone own a Volt?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You would have to look at the Prius for real world battery life examples. With them, the batteries don't usually just go tits up, they just get less and less efficient. Typical is 150 Kmiles before they need changes. But they don't actually work at the capacity of the Volts. So it might not be a fair comparison.

There is actually a growing business in the Prius world. They are picking up high mile cars with dead/weak batteries for near nothing, Fixing only the faulty cells, and selling them for a handsome profit.

GM covers the batteries for 100,000/5 years as did Toyota. They have gone way over the line to keep the batteries in good condition and also to segregate and monitor the cells so if one goes bad. Cells can be diagnosed with a Tech II and replaced as needed.

Now what that would cost, worst case, I have no idea.

I am at 22 Kmiles now and expect to be close to the 100 K mark at 5 years if not before. I'll cross the battery bridge when I get there.

I have no idea exactly how the battery systems on either car are setup, but wouldnt replacing single cells in the array just drain the new batteries down to the older one's levels much quicker....similar to how we should replace both batteries at the same time on our trucks or risk the new one failing early?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Well, not changing both batteries at the same time will not fail the new one early, unless the old one is shorting... Since the lead acid batteries fail almost at the same time, probably will not get much further before you have to change the second battery.

Replacing a cell is an economical way to revive a failed/failing battery pack. It will last till the next cell fails.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
20Kmiles on mine so far. About 1/2 worn. Snow tires on the front for winter this year. I hope to get about 30K or more total out of the tires.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Normally the batteries are both in series, and in parallel.

In the case of the Volt, it's water-cooled battery uses only the most efficient portion of the battery, about the middle 2/3'rds. Through software, the battery can have it's life extended by increasing the charging window (SOC - State of Charge).

The Volt use 3 parallel cells at 3.7v nominal, which can actually show over 4.1v in other apps. Then there are 96 sets of these 3P (parallel) sets, for about 300-380 vdc.

Overcharging a battery kills it quicker, and allowing SOC to fall too low kills it quicker, hence the GM window. These kinds of "batteries" (multiple cells used to form a power source) have individual SOC circuits to insure all cells discharge and charge at the same rate. And at the factory, they "match" parallel packs to increase life further.

Both the batteries and AC electric motor can endure at double the rated HP for short bursts, at the expense of lifespan. Kind of like diesels. You can double the HP via programming, but can't hold it WOT forever at high power levels.

This tech isn't as different from hotrod diesels as one might think...

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
:mad:

I'm about ready to bail on my volt.

I love it. The looks, the drive, the feel, etc....

But. Just dropped it off for it's 8th service visit in 7.5 months since purchasing new. 7.5 months, just under 9000 miles, and 1000 of the miles have been just driving back and forth to dealership. All for stupid little stuff. Mostly software issues. This month's issue is for another software update, possibly a steering rack, and my roof is leaking. :(
Cried to the Volt rep on the phone about the amount of service visits. They offered to pay for gas for the rental while my volt is getting fixed. Nice offer and all, but doesn't address the issue.

I think Volts in general are reliable, great cars. Wish mine wasnt so buggy

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
that sucks,I will have ask my friend about what has been done to his.I may be taking his after his lease is up.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I called and talked to the volt reps about swapping into another volt. I've read posts of them doing it for others that have had a lot of issues. We'll see what they say.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Normally the batteries are both in series, and in parallel.

In the case of the Volt, it's water-cooled battery uses only the most efficient portion of the battery, about the middle 2/3'rds. Through software, the battery can have it's life extended by increasing the charging window (SOC - State of Charge).

The Volt use 3 parallel cells at 3.7v nominal, which can actually show over 4.1v in other apps. Then there are 96 sets of these 3P (parallel) sets, for about 300-380 vdc.

Overcharging a battery kills it quicker, and allowing SOC to fall too low kills it quicker, hence the GM window. These kinds of "batteries" (multiple cells used to form a power source) have individual SOC circuits to insure all cells discharge and charge at the same rate. And at the factory, they "match" parallel packs to increase life further.

Both the batteries and AC electric motor can endure at double the rated HP for short bursts, at the expense of lifespan. Kind of like diesels. You can double the HP via programming, but can't hold it WOT forever at high power levels.

This tech isn't as different from hotrod diesels as one might think...

basically, they work alot like charging LiPo batteries on R/C cars

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
2 calls today.

Service dept ordered a new steering rack. No news on my roof leak.

The General called and is "looking into" my issues to see if it qualifies for a buy back. pulling all service records, etc.

Has anyone been thru the buy back process without going thru an attorney?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Service dept ordered a new steering rack.
I have a 2013 Cruze (same platform) and my steering system is screwed up too. Every friggin' time I make an appointment, it stops sticking/popping the day before, and starts again a few days later.

Sounds like it is a design issue, since even the Volt has the problem. :( If only I could get them to catch it in the act. Though from what I have read, a new rack will eventually do the same thing.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
If you dont have it - here is the tsb PI0886. There is more to it than listed. My dealer service dept told me a few times before bringing it in, that the tsb wouldnt fix it. But he has come to realize and tell me that when I come in with a tsb - I know more about the issue than they do.
The service guy couldnt reproduce the issue in my car either. but based on what I told him, and a few calls to tech support (or whatever dept) he found someone that knew the super secret details of the tsb and OK'd the rack.
Some of the Volt owners are saying the rack is the fix - so IDK. They have my car - again. I'm in a Cruze.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Volt. I hate the seats in the cruze . torque and off the line performance volt wins. 9 Days in the cruze cost me 72 in gas - thats about 2 months+ in the volt. I prefer hatch's over sedans

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I'm surprised the Volt is more expensive to insure in my CTS-V :eek:

Is it an issue of who is listed as the primary driver?

A childhood friend took me for a ride in his V last summer. Saw my life flash in font of my eyes in 5 seconds. It was awesome. :D

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Is it an issue of who is listed as the primary driver?

A childhood friend took me for a ride in his V last summer. Saw my life flash in font of my eyes in 5 seconds. It was awesome. :D

No. I changed Pat from primary driver of Wendy to primary of the Volt. Since Allison doesn't have her licence yet. I hate to see what that is going be :eek:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
No. I changed Pat from primary driver of Wendy to primary of the Volt. Since Allison doesn't have her licence yet. I hate to see what that is going be :eek:

Probably has to do with cost and cost to repair. I cannot imagine what your insurance is going to hike to once she gets her licenses. Chances are just as she turns of age our insurance will go up unless you told them NO drivers under he age of ? then it wont. Be sure your agent didn't do that with out you knowing to save you money. Because if so you might not have coverage if something should happen while she is out learning to drive!

I know my insurance kept pestering me when my daughter came of age asking me how many licensed individuals in the household. I didn't respond as she didn't have her license yet but I knew she was covered as I didn't have the no drivers under 18 years old clause.