Anyone own a Volt?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The Volt isn't a bad vehicle. Much better than any other 'hybrid' out there IMO. nice and simple: An electric vehicle that happens to have a gas generator onboard to keep it going when the batteries die. Not like the 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' BS in the toys. They certainly over-complicate things....

No offense, but IMO, 'beginner' vehicles should not be the latest and greatest intelligent cars that we have today. They should be older vehicles that do not have all of the intelligence the new ones have. ABS & Airbags should be about it. In general, learning to drive in these newer, super intelligent cars that have all kinds of crash avoidance bells and whistles creates dumber drivers. People need to learn to DRIVE first, then the newer bells and whistles just add safety.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
... People need to learn to DRIVE first, then the newer bells and whistles just add safety.

IMO, by the time you learn to drive, you should not need any warnings from software. Traffic will have taught you.

After you learn drive correctly, then warnings are unnecessary.

This system will reduce the chance of stupid driving killing people.

Hence, the car is not fast, has 10 airbags, 5 star crash, rollover cage, and will actually hit the brakes if you don't before it hits something.

This tech is new. Back when I started driving it did not exist, nor would my parents afford it. I had to buy my own wheels my whole life.

But if you are 16-24, your biggest death risk is driving, by a huge margin. If there is anything I can do to get them through college alive, I will do it.

:hug:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Last I checked they were 40k..? Wonder how much the power power bill goes up after charging such a oversized golf cart. :D

ask your mom how much her bill went up last night..........

One thing that is interesting. It uses a video camera for the frontal collision and lane change.

Need to figure out if you could use it to record video.

It still has the radar sensors front and rear, but the frontal video cam indicates some fairly advanced tech. The rear camera? Not sure what it controls or whether it's just an image.

I really wonder about the lane deviation things. We are trying to get people top stop distractive and impaired driving, so we add features that take responsibility away from the driver so they don't have to pay attention to the road or be sober.

I understand it from a responsible drivers point of view where you are alert, sober and trying to avoid all of the idiots on the road, but I think it may hurt things more than it helps them?

On the other hand the camera could be very useful in lawsuits. Many trucking companies have dash cams now that loop every 24-36hrs or so due to the amount of lawsuits they can avoid. Any time an 18 wheeler crashes it looks terrible and like it was the big rigs fault. It usually is a cars fault, but there are plenty of bad truck drivers out there today, the dash cam can help prove whos right and wrong.

Today's EV's aren't for everyone. Average commuter miles in the USA is 18mi one way.

Typical EV is 80-100mi total range, then you call for a tow truck.

The Volt is the only EV you could drive from LA to NY.

So you could have just one commuter car and would not have to rent for long trips.

It is unlikely electric-only tech will ever go 12 hours straight at 70mph in the near future. Which is what would be necessary to replace diesel or gas engines. Well, unless the "20 minute" chargers ever become reality. That would require a lot of infrastructure.

Between her jobs and errands my wife commutes a minimum of 100 miles per day it seems which is why the TDI shines compared to the hybrids. On the highway the TDI out does all of them which is where she spends her time.

However sitting on I5 in gridlock I could see the advantage of an EV. Everything has its place. a diesel electric would be neat but those systems are bulky right now.

I have nothing against the Volt, I just hate most Prius owners due to their attitude. Its the reason all three of our TDI's are receiving "Prius Repellent" stickers pointing at the tailpipe.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO, all the new "safety" features do is make drivers even more lazy than they currently are. They now expect the car to be responsible instead of themselves. Teach your child to be a responsible defensive driver and they will have those skills to fall back on.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Between her jobs and errands my wife commutes a minimum of 100 miles per day it seems which is why the TDI shines compared to the hybrids. On the highway the TDI out does all of them which is where she spends her time.

However sitting on I5 in gridlock I could see the advantage of an EV. Everything has its place. a diesel electric would be neat but those systems are bulky right now.

I have nothing against the Volt, I just hate most Prius owners due to their attitude. Its the reason all three of our TDI's are receiving "Prius Repellent" stickers pointing at the tailpipe.

The thought that EVs are only good in traffic is flawed. They shine on the highway and the traffic. I think the TDI is 43 MPG highway. The volt is 37 MPG when running the gas engine. BUT the first 30-40 are electric. So in your 100 mile scenario, the Volt would be about 52 MPG equivalent or better. Sneak in even a partial charge and it gets even better.

But, I didn't buy mine for the economy. I bought it because it is a nice car. The fact it is electric is a bonus and has worked out very well for me. Remember, only half my total miles are electric, so the highway miles do matter to me.

The irony of a Volt parked next to my overpowered pickup in the drive is not lost on me.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
The thought that EVs are only good in traffic is flawed. They shine on the highway and the traffic. I think the TDI is 43 MPG highway. The volt is 37 MPG when running the gas engine. BUT the first 30-40 are electric. So in your 100 mile scenario, the Volt would be about 52 MPG equivalent or better. Sneak in even a partial charge and it gets even better.

But, I didn't buy mine for the economy. I bought it because it is a nice car. The fact it is electric is a bonus and has worked out very well for me. Remember, only half my total miles are electric, so the highway miles do matter to me.

The irony of a Volt parked next to my overpowered pickup in the drive is not lost on me.

I think they have their place but her TDI cup car with a manual and 300ft-lb to the wheels makes it a very fun economy car to drive.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
IMO, all the new "safety" features do is make drivers even more lazy than they currently are. They now expect the car to be responsible instead of themselves. Teach your child to be a responsible defensive driver and they will have those skills to fall back on.

Not only will we teach them. They will both go to Bondurant for their teen driving school. Nothing like a skid car (aka Vomit Comet) to teach real life scenario's. Heck I think I'm even a better driver after going though Spring Mountain.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
So when the battery runs down, does the car turn the engine on by itself? Just curious how it works. Isn't that 1.4 engine the same as the cruze gas minus the turbo?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
So when the battery runs down, does the car turn the engine on by itself? Just curious how it works. Isn't that 1.4 engine the same as the cruze gas minus the turbo?
Yes. After battery is used the gas engine kicks on and off as needed. 2013+2014 models have a 'Hold' mode where you can manually switch to gas use if say you want to save your ev use for later. Like on a highway trip, use the gas then switch back when you are in the city to use up your electric.

All volts have a 'mountain mode' uses the gas to build up and maintain about a 40% charge for climbing long grades.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Pat,
When I worked at GM. I did a good bit of training on them. I really enjoyed the way they drive, lots of torque. All the parts are really top quality. They are fairly easy to work on and have tons of new technology.
I think you will really be satisfied.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I would love to buy a volt but for the price I cant do it. I have been thinking about replacing my current commuter but due to the price of hybrids I'm looking more for a base model chevy spark lol. I will only own gm vehicles so yeah.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Its cause all the money went to the truck. I just need something to get good gas mileage to and from work my 98 blazer with 180000 miles and a 72 mile a day commute at 15 mpg is not my favorite lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Not only will we teach them. They will both go to Bondurant for their teen driving school. Nothing like a skid car (aka Vomit Comet) to teach real life scenario's. Heck I think I'm even a better driver after going though Spring Mountain.

:thumb: I would LOVE to be able to take the driving classes that the Michigan State Police trainees do over at their driving range/skid pad out here by us. Cool as all hell.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Now I want one of these. :) so the volt is a dual power car? Meaning the engine doesn't recharge the batts, it powers the wheels. Once the batts are used up & it switchs to the engine, does the engine also recharge the batts while youre driving or do the batteries only get recharged via the plug in?

Ive looked without much luck buf are there any good forums for these to read about them more?

Is the passenger compartment about the same size as a cruze? Bigger? Smaller? How much room is in the backseat?

And in keeping with the hotrod heritage here, has anyone "hotrodded" a Volt? How so?

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Now I want one of these. :) so the volt is a dual power car? Meaning the engine doesn't recharge the batts, it powers the wheels. Once the batts are used up & it switchs to the engine, does the engine also recharge the batts while youre driving or do the batteries only get recharged via the plug in?

Ive looked without much luck buf are there any good forums for these to read about them more?

Is the passenger compartment about the same size as a cruze? Bigger? Smaller? How much room is in the backseat?

And in keeping with the hotrod heritage here, has anyone "hotrodded" a Volt? How so?

Gm-volt.com

There is a highway speed condition where the gas engine powers the wheels but I'm the wrong guy to explain exactly how it works. For the most part the gas engine sends power to the batteries.
Mountain Mode can charge the pack but not fully. It is also said to be one of the least efficient uses of the gas.

I did see a couple threads about tuning the volt but I haven't really pay much attention to them.

Back seat is tight for big people. Im 5'8, 185 and sat in the back of a friends Volt for a couple round trip rides into Detroit. I was fine, but had someone about the same size in front of me.

I have 3-4 people in my Volt almost once a week. No fatties yet. Only one guy complained about the back seat room. But he was the same guy with a gasser Silverado, and when I asked if he wanted to drive or ride he mumbled something about gas prices and said I could drive. Haha.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
My 2012 Jetta TDI is worth every penny to me. I average over 80 miles per day on my commute to work.

The volts are nice, back when I purchased my TDI they weren't that competitive as they are now.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I use it for those longer trips because the car is one of the nicest highway cars I have owned in many many years. On the highway, I get about 37 MPG.

Well when your frame of reference is a 1980 diesel Rabbit with a "trick" ratchet strap rear suspension.....;). :D

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO

From gm-volt.com:
Q: How is the Chevy Volt different than conventional hybrids, like the Prius?
A: Today’s hybrids are called parallel hybrids. They use a small electric motor for low speed driving, but switch to a regular gas engine for acceleration and faster speed driving with the electric motor providing enhancement, hence both engines work side by side or in parallel.

The Volt is a series vehicle meaning only the electric motor powers the car at all times, the gas engine is just a generator for making electricity once the battery is depleted. A little like the Prius, the engine does help spin the wheels after the battery is depleted. GM engineers chose to do this because it improved efficiency by 10 to 15 percent.