Anyone own a Volt?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Well that reads like they (GM) are trying to act like its different (not parallel) but then it goes on to say the engine can/does power the wheels. So its not actually different. In nut shell, that sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
It sounds like an electric motor with a generator. And a way over stupefied explanation that the gas engine can turn the wheels by powering the battery which powers the electric motor which powers the wheels. Why can't they just say that?

I wonder how it would do in the cold, this weather is hell on batteries up here.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
What is unique is how they have used two electric motors to maintain the motors in their highest RPM efficiency range. Worth an additional 5% or so at highway speed.

Sent on the run from my Cell Phone

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The gas engine is only connected to the generator below roughly 70mph, creating battery voltage. Once above ~70mph there is a clutch inside of the transmission that engages the engine to the transmission to help power the car. That is, only when the engine is running.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Well that reads like they (GM) are trying to act like its different (not parallel) but then it goes on to say the engine can/does power the wheels. So its not actually different. In nut shell, that sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo.

Kat had to drive over the 38mi range once, and it sucked down 0.9 gallons. So for 110 miles, it used under a gallon.

If your commute is short, (less than 30mi/day), you will never use gasoline commuting. However, you could drive LA to NY if you wanted.

It can go through it's whole life without ever firing up the gas engine.

It is the most advanced electric driveline right now.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Pat, you keep saying its the only "nationwide" capable EV... is that to say the Prius or Nissan WhateverTheHeckItsCalled gas engines won't keep the batteries powered up while out on the road? They aren't elec. only are they?

I wish I could afford the Volt, it'd be neat to try since my daily commute is right at 35 mi per day if I just go straight to work and back. Especially if I could convince work to let me "just plug up a little ol 120 chord :D ) and get on a cycle where it recharges while I'm at work and that gets me home at night and back in the AM. :D Then I wouldn't even be seeing the increased elec. bill at the house either. :) Then I'd only need fuel for weekends where I tend to venture further from the house regularly. And even still, it sounds like the gas engine will get a respectable 37mpg on the road so that's dang near as good as my Jetta TDI gets. :thumb:

Did I miss where someone commented on the size of the car itself? Is it comparable to a Cruze on interior space? Smaller? Larger?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO

If you never use the gas engine it will start the engine once a year and purposely burn out the fuel tank to prevent the fuel from turning stale :thumb:

And that Nissan Leaf is an all-electric car so you can only go as far as the batteries will allow then your SOL.

In my own opinion I think it's a great car. Comparable to the Chevy Cruze in regards to almost every category and I can almost guarantee the Volt is faster than the Cruze 1.8 non-turbo. Haven't seen them in much for any repairs here at the shop besides a few recalls. GM seems to be on the ball with recalls on new vehicles before customers have issues. The only thing I would be worried about is the front air dam is so low on it that I could see some damage form pushing snow or steep driveways.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Pat, you keep saying its the only "nationwide" capable EV... is that to say the Prius or Nissan WhateverTheHeckItsCalled gas engines won't keep the batteries powered up while out on the road? They aren't elec. only are they?
The Prius is a hybrid, not an EV. The Volt is technically an EV, but with a gas motor that kicks on if needed to charge the batteries. The Nissan Leaf is electric only, and has no way of going farther except to wait and watch it charge from the wall.

I wish I could afford the Volt, it'd be neat to try since my daily commute is right at 35 mi per day if I just go straight to work and back. Especially if I could convince work to let me "just plug up a little ol 120 chord :D ) and get on a cycle where it recharges while I'm at work and that gets me home at night and back in the AM. :D Then I wouldn't even be seeing the increased elec. bill at the house either. :) Then I'd only need fuel for weekends where I tend to venture further from the house regularly. And even still, it sounds like the gas engine will get a respectable 37mpg on the road so that's dang near as good as my Jetta TDI gets. :thumb:
This is why I wanted to get one. My work allows you to charge EVs, and my commute is short enough I would not have to use my own power. :D
However, the Volt was a lot more back when I was in the market than they are now. If I was buying now, instead of a year ago, I'd be rolling in a Volt instead of my Cruze Eco. Though the new Cruze Diesel would complicate the search a bit too...

Did I miss where someone commented on the size of the car itself? Is it comparable to a Cruze on interior space? Smaller? Larger?
The Volt is based on the Cruze platform, so interior space, etc, is basically identical. The handling is a bit different due to the different center of gravity (battery pack), but that's about it.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Awesome... Hmmm, might hafta see if there are any dealerships in the KY wanting a decent 02 d/a and a sturdy TDI to knock the price of one in half. :D

Then, I'd be "truckless" and that might be just the motivation I need to get my dang 83 done so I have a truck to drive when/if needed. :woott:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan

You will get EMM - Engine Maintance Mode - about once every 6 weeks if you are running all EV.
And you will get FMM - Fuel Maintance Mode - about once a year if your gas is too old.

I've been keeping just enough gas in mine to keep the low fuel idiot light off and silent.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
The only thing I would be worried about is the front air dam is so low on it that I could see some damage form pushing snow or steep driveways.

Front air dam is very flexible rubber or plastic or something. It scrapes a lot, almost every time I pull in my driveway.

They make a shorter air dam, about 2 inch instead of 4. And I read some of the 2014's dont even have the air dam

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Probably not an issue for most CA owners, but there is also the dreaded "Engine Running Due To Low Temp".
My drive in to work is usually on all electric. But this morning it was 9-10 °F so the engine decides to run.
I have it set not to run unless below 15F, the coldest you can set it.

Attachments

• KIMG0144.jpg
    KIMG0144.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 30

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i got a question.

how does the motor do if say you drive on batteries only for 6 months yet you have a full tank of gas and decide to go on a road trip? im sure its got plenty of safe guards in affect for the reduced octane but id be curious if anyone even noticed any given affect.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It runs the motor whether you want to or not on a defined interval. And it has a CARB vapor sealed tank with a 9 gallon capacity. It says Premium in the owner's manual, so it might be that way so more alcohol is in the fuel for stability.
The oil life indicator = 2 yr regardless of miles, or based on miles.

Since freeway driving is where the battery power sucks at, if you want, you can turn on the gas engine by selecting HOLD on the 2013+ models.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It runs the motor whether you want to or not on a defined interval. And it has a CARB vapor sealed tank with a 9 gallon capacity. It says Premium in the owner's manual, so it might be that way so more alcohol is in the fuel for stability.
The oil life indicator = 2 yr regardless of miles, or based on miles.

Since freeway driving is where the battery power sucks at, if you want, you can turn on the gas engine by selecting HOLD on the 2013+ models.

Highway is where the gas engine does best. Electric is just fine at highway speeds. If your trip is going to require some gas usage, you get to pick that it be on the highway and save the batteries for when you get in town.

The batteries do deplete faster on the highway, but you are clicking off miles faster too.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You all are convincing salesmen! :rofl: I'm gonna see if there are any in KY to go look at. Preferably a used model but I have a feeling that's not likely!