Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
ede5u6yh.jpg

I guess it works out Volt attached and my car gets 10 :spit::woott:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Who knew a bunch of dirty smoking diesel guys would own EV's and like them....:roflmao: They're not for me or my family.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Who knew a bunch of dirty smoking diesel guys would own EV's and like them....:roflmao: They're not for me or my family.
Fair enough. They don't make sense for a lot of people, IMO. Not yet, anyway.

I think we like them because they are new and tech-y. That's why I love my Duramax: the tech. The common rail system was years ahead of everything else out there when GM released it on the 2001 trucks. The advancements kept up through the years too (VGTs in 2004.5, Piezo injectors in 2011, etc.). Diesels are on the cutting edge technologically. In that way, they share a lot with EVs. EVs also have a diesel-like instant flat torque curve, which is fun.

I don't think it is much about saving the planet (not for this crowd :spit:). It is more about gaming the system. Getting your work to pay for your commute costs (power), lowering fuel bills, and a pointless but fun quest to try and squeeze every bit of efficiency out of a drive. It scratches the same itch I have to squeeze every bit of performance out of my truck. Just to see what can be done on my limited budget. Do I need 400 HP? No. The 600 I was at when I lost a piston? Absolutely not. The 700+ I hope to be at this summer? Hell no. But it is a fun challenge to see what I can pull out of a 10-year old 300,000+ mile engine.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
I bought a Tesla P85+. I know it is pricey but I get 0 to 60 in 4 seconds and can run almost 300 miles on it. I just drove from Vancouver, Canada to Fremont, Ca with it. Awesome on the highway, with lots of power. Top end is 130 MPH. Tesla has the Supercharge stations all the way down the coast. They say 15 minutes for a charge but I would say it is more like 30 for full charge. Cost for charging is free. These Super Charge Stations will be across the country by the end of next year.
There is no maintenance...no oil, no tranny...nothing. Direct power. At home my charger (80 amp) charges the battery fully in 4 hours if it is close to being out of juice. Sporty vehicle with lots of power.:)

https://www.dropbox.com/photos/c/cljVHJtUxkKaov1

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Fair enough. They don't make sense for a lot of people, IMO. Not yet, anyway.

I think we like them because they are new and tech-y. That's why I love my Duramax: the tech. The common rail system was years ahead of everything else out there when GM released it on the 2001 trucks. The advancements kept up through the years too (VGTs in 2004.5, Piezo injectors in 2011, etc.). Diesels are on the cutting edge technologically. In that way, they share a lot with EVs. EVs also have a diesel-like instant flat torque curve, which is fun.

I don't think it is much about saving the planet (not for this crowd :spit:). It is more about gaming the system. Getting your work to pay for your commute costs (power), lowering fuel bills, and a pointless but fun quest to try and squeeze every bit of efficiency out of a drive. It scratches the same itch I have to squeeze every bit of performance out of my truck. Just to see what can be done on my limited budget. Do I need 400 HP? No. The 600 I was at when I lost a piston? Absolutely not. The 700+ I hope to be at this summer? Hell no. But it is a fun challenge to see what I can pull out of a 10-year old 300,000+ mile engine.

I wasn't taking a jab at anyone its just funny. It doesn't fit the stereo type, and like it or not we all fit in that stereo pretty well. I do agree they're tech-y and like that aspect of them. IMO the tech isn't there for me to jump on them. The day the have a nuclear powered EV truck/suvs I will buy one if I can afford it.:woott:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Haha, the stereotype...

We got to tour the volt factory a few months ago. About 20 or so volt owners and a guest each. We are waiting in the lobby and the wife noticed how out of place I looked compared to the others.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Haha, the stereotype...

We got to tour the volt factory a few months ago. About 20 or so volt owners and a guest each. We are waiting in the lobby and the wife noticed how out of place I looked compared to the others.

A van owner can be spotted from miles away.:roflmao::hug::D

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I bought a Tesla P85+. I know it is pricey but I get 0 to 60 in 4 seconds and can run almost 300 miles on it. I just drove from Vancouver, Canada to Fremont, Ca with it. Awesome on the highway, with lots of power. Top end is 130 MPH. Tesla has the Supercharge stations all the way down the coast. They say 15 minutes for a charge but I would say it is more like 30 for full charge. Cost for charging is free. These Super Charge Stations will be across the country by the end of next year.
There is no maintenance...no oil, no tranny...nothing. Direct power. At home my charger (80 amp) charges the battery fully in 4 hours if it is close to being out of juice. Sporty vehicle with lots of power.:)

https://www.dropbox.com/photos/c/cljVHJtUxkKaov1

110k ++ sticker :eek: Sweet looking car though :thumb:

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Probably not an issue for most CA owners, but there is also the dreaded "Engine Running Due To Low Temp".
My drive in to work is usually on all electric. But this morning it was 9-10 °F so the engine decides to run.
I have it set not to run unless below 15F, the coldest you can set it.

How is the car's performance during these cold temperatures? Have you used the car in any -10 or -20F temperatures?

Also, how well does the heater (and everything else) work in these cold temps?

Living in Wyoming, I see these kind of temps for a few months during winter. Everything I've read about these cars so far, is appealing. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I may be in the market for one of these next year.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The gas engine will come on in cold weather. Not a big deal. Gets the car warmer faster with less hit on the batteries.

In cold weather, I use the remote start while it is plugged in as much as I can to get the cabin up to temp without dinging the batteries. (240 Volt Charger) Works great for me.

I have not had it out in truly bitter weather. I spent a month in Wisconsin when temps were 10°-20° if that counts, without issue.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
My boss just traded her Mazda3 in for one....the garage we park in has no charging stations. However, one of our former colleagues now works in operations and has promised her that they are coming :)

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
We've had a few single digit F mornings so far this winter. As with Finger I use the remote start to pre-heat, and have no issues on my 15-16 mile ride in.
My range takes a hit when the heat is cranked.

Driving alone I rarely use the heat down to about 15 degres, when the gas engine turns on automatically.
If the Agent is with me I run the heat and suffer the range loss.(its better than listening to the "its cold".

I did drive from home to Ann Arbor last week, about 50ish miles one way. Had a full charge when I left, but temps were below 15F. Gas enginge kicked on and off the whole way. Was able to get almost a full charge at a free charge station while there and headed back home. Sucked - think I was just over 100mpg for the day.

Minisub - If she works at the same location all day (8 ish hours) a "charging station" isnt really 'needed'. A 120 Volt outlet, on its own circuit is a lot cheaper to install and will almost fully charge the car while she is at work. Just a thought. A 240 volt charge station is nice :)

Last edited:

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Charging station is a poor choice of words.

Our garages are all over-subscribed. There are no accessible outlets anywhere (I searched everywhere to find a place to plug the 6.5 in when I had it). What the EV drivers get in our garages is a dedicated parking area that is just less desireable than the handicap and expectant mother spots with an accessible 110 outlet...that alone is an incentive for some...

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Sucked - think I was just over 100mpg for the day.

Hahaha, yeah I could see how terrible only 100 mpg would be! :rofl:

Thank you lotsofmiles and Fingers for your cold weather driving input. I really do appreciate it. These cars get more & more appealing every time I read about them.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Whats a real estimate on the battery life in hours or years? Whats an estimate of replacement cost? Is the gas engine used in any other cars? With such little use, I'd be worried about things with it becoming troublesome in 10 yrs due to lack of use, no?

Are GM extended warranties available or likely to become available on older models?

Truth is, I'd love one but will not likely ever buy new so my questions are based on the used car value.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
You would have to look at the Prius for real world battery life examples. With them, the batteries don't usually just go tits up, they just get less and less efficient. Typical is 150 Kmiles before they need changes. But they don't actually work at the capacity of the Volts. So it might not be a fair comparison.

There is actually a growing business in the Prius world. They are picking up high mile cars with dead/weak batteries for near nothing, Fixing only the faulty cells, and selling them for a handsome profit.

GM covers the batteries for 100,000/5 years as did Toyota. They have gone way over the line to keep the batteries in good condition and also to segregate and monitor the cells so if one goes bad. Cells can be diagnosed with a Tech II and replaced as needed.

Now what that would cost, worst case, I have no idea.

I am at 22 Kmiles now and expect to be close to the 100 K mark at 5 years if not before. I'll cross the battery bridge when I get there.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
When I worked in the tire biz, I remember that the Prius would EAT tires pretty fast. Tire rotations were critical, and even with good maintenance they wore out fast. Any issues like this with the Volt? How are your tires wearing?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Isnt battery warranty 8year 100,000 miles? (150,000 miles for CA).

No personal experience on tires yet. Only at 7000 miles so far. I run mine at 51+ psi, max sidewall rating. I've read many posts crying about sidewall damage and short tire life, mostly from the crew that runs the psi posted in the door (38 for 2013s)