5K Budget Long Block Suggestions

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Keep your eye out for used parts on here. If you aren't in a major rush you can save a bunch of coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe put your LB7 heads on an LML short block
Change the reluctor wheel
Buy some head studs

I think that's all you'll need? Right?

K1SSRSS

Dieselfied Camaro Junkie
Jun 26, 2014
Las Cruces, NM
Thanks guys for all the input, new rods and full studs are first on the list, I'll key the crank and cam myself. Kinda leaning toward new pistons since I know I'll want to turn it up down the road. Wasn't considering a billet crank, but what kind of HP are you guys seeing the lb7 cranks hold?

I'll also rebuild the heads, but that's to biggie either since I can do that myself.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Crank is a crap shoot. Some don't hold stock power, some hold 1500hp. Adding a crank will for sure put you well outside the 5k range

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks, any benefit to including an alternate fire cam with stock heads? Guess I should have mentioned I probably have all the seals laying around already too, pretty much just considering hard parts.

If I can keep the std. bore, I could delip the stock pistons myself, but is it worth it to get new delipped pistons over machining the old pistons?

What do you all think about this kit, comes out about $700 over budget with the bearings, studs and fingers pistons, but are the fingers worth the extra $750 over delipped?
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...an-Crower-Rods-Pistons-Bearings-P5661465.aspx

Why not? Only talking long block and no labor costs since I'll do all the work.

We use mahle race cast Pistons in the kit above. The finger piston is the same piston when they start life as a blank. Fingers machines in his oval bowl vs majors larger round bowl. 3,845 with normal race cast or 4,570 with fingers oval Pistons.
We also offer this kit with Carrillo rods in it. 4,495 with race cast and 5,220 with fingers oval. It's best to start with a fresh bore on a higher Milage block.
We can offer bundles with a new Lbz block with all the machine work done ready for final hone to Pistons.
There's many options available we offer wagler rods and other parts but it all depends on the end users budget.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I opted to reuse my stock lb7 pistons, my engine had 145k on it, and was totally stock, I sent then to socal diesel had then delipped and shaved, threw them back in. They c worked great for me and held up to 15k miles of beating the crap out of them, lots of spray and lots of EGT.

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
You have to ask yourself how much risk you're willing to accept. Yes some guys have gotten away at 700 hp w/ lbz rods and cut lb7 pistons but some have also had them fail. They can live forever if you detune the low end but where's the fun in that? If I were to do a budget build I would do the following which will likely come in around 6k w/o machine work.

• Fingers cast oval bowl pistons
  • The cheapest of Carrillo, Manley, crower, or Wagler rods
  • Head studs
  • Main studs
  • Clevite H bearings
  • Oem cam bearings
  • Key crank, cam, oil pump
  • Pinned water pump
  • Dowel mains
  • Align hone

Plus have head and block checked out and whatever machine work is necessary. I would also try and stretch the budget a bit to include MA pushrods and new valve springs. This not only minimizes/eliminates most risk but gives you room to grow.

I haven't seen any mention of what you have done to your trans, you don't want to blow your budget bulletproofing the motor only to have your trans crap out and have no money left to build it.

That's my .02 for what it's worth

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
You have to ask yourself how much risk you're willing to accept. Yes some guys have gotten away at 700 hp w/ lbz rods and cut lb7 pistons but some have also had them fail. They can live forever if you detune the low end but where's the fun in that? If I were to do a budget build I would do the following which will likely come in around 6k w/o machine work.

• Fingers cast oval bowl pistons
  • The cheapest of Carrillo, Manley, crower, or Wagler rods
  • Head studs
  • Main studs
  • Clevite H bearings
  • Oem cam bearings
  • Key crank, cam, oil pump
  • Pinned water pump
  • Dowel mains
  • Align hone

Plus have head and block checked out and whatever machine work is necessary. I would also try and stretch the budget a bit to include MA pushrods and new valve springs. This not only minimizes/eliminates most risk but gives you room to grow.

I haven't seen any mention of what you have done to your trans, you don't want to blow your budget bulletproofing the motor only to have your trans crap out and have no money left to build it.

That's my .02 for what it's worth

Concerning the dowel pin idea: Considering the subject(budget builds), i think that could be money saved. We're currently dealing with main cap walk(slightly) using studs and billet main caps. Engine is either 1300fwhp or 1500fwhp, depending on which rule package we run. Bearings are all fine. When i saw the evidence of the caps walking, i talked with several people. Including Jeremy Wagler, who said you could dowel them but that doesnt solve the issue from what he's seen. If your concern is main cap walk, a girdle is much better money spent. Basically, if we'd quit running the higher power class, we'd wouldn't have any problems.

If a guy is only aiming for 700 hp, especially a 'budget' build, you def are spending money you dont have to going with billet caps, girdle, and/or dowels.