2017 Duramax

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Looks like a pretty sweet motor once all the fun stuff is off if it. Can't wait til 2020 when they're cheaper or I get my wages back to buy one haha.

No kidding I have no desire to buy a new one but want my wages back. I'm out here in watford city out in the fields too. Not on the rigs tho started on them for Nabors left two weeks in. That was also 5 years ago though,what part of the fields you in?

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I worked Motors and relived the derrickhand from time to time for Nabors. Good company, I got replaced by one of my pushers when I got laid off so i wasn't to butt hurt. They just stacked that rig in the bushes for upgrades in Williston two weeks ago and spread the crews out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I ordered one last week. No pricing info is available. It is expected to arrive in December.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Assuming everyone knows the below already

This was in an email from GM awhile back, im guessing you guys know this already but if not here is what I can offer.

Additional highlights include: <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
· New, stronger cylinder block and cylinder heads<o:p></o:p>
· New, stronger rotating and reciprocating assembly<o:p></o:p>
· Increased oil- and coolant-flow capacity<o:p></o:p>
· New EGR system with single cooler and integrated bypass<o:p></o:p>
· New electrically actuated/electronically controlled turbocharging system<o:p></o:p>
· All-new advanced solenoid fuel system <o:p></o:p>
· All-new electronic controls<o:p></o:p>
· New full-length damped steel oil pan that contributes to quietness<o:p></o:p>
· New rocker cover/fuel system acoustical treatments <o:p></o:p>
· B20 bio-diesel compatibility<o:p></o:p>
· SAE-certified 445 net horsepower (332 kW) at 2,800 rpm <o:p></o:p>
· SAE-certified 910 net lb.-ft. of torque (1,234 Nm) at 1,600 rpm<o:p></o:p>
A deep-skirt design and four-bolt, cross-bolted main caps help ensure the block’s strength and enable more accurate location of the rotating assembly. A die-cast aluminum lower crankcase also strengthens the engine block and serves as the lower engine cover, while reducing its overall weight. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The new engine block incorporates larger-diameter crankshaft connecting rod journals than the current engine, enabling the placement of a stronger crankshaft and increased bearing area to handle higher cylinder loads. <o:p></o:p>
Segment firsts <o:p></o:p>
· Re-melt piston bowl rim<o:p></o:p>
· Venturi Jet Drain Oil Separator<o:p></o:p>
· Closed-loop glow plug temperature control<o:p></o:p>
Stronger pistons with remelt<o:p></o:p>
A tough, forged micro-alloy steel crankshaft anchors the new Duramax’s stronger rotating assembly. Cut-then-rolled journal fillets contribute to its durability by strengthening the junction where the journals — the round sections on which the bearings slide — meet the webs that separate the main and rod journals. <o:p></o:p>
The connecting rods are stronger, too, and incorporate a new 45-degree split-angle design to allow the larger-diameter rod bearings to pass through the cylinder bores during engine assembly. They’re forged and sintered with a durable powdered metal alloy, with a fractured-cap design enabling more precise cap-to-rod fitment. <o:p></o:p>
A new, stronger cast-aluminum piston design tops off the rotating assembly. It features a taller crown area and a remelted combustion bowl rim for greater strength. Remelting is an additional manufacturing process for aluminum pistons in which the bowl rim area is reheated after casting and pre-machining, creating a much finer and more consistent metal grain structure that greatly enhances thermal fatigue properties.
A new aluminum head casting uses a new double-layer water core design that separates and arranges water cores in layers to create a stiffer head structure with more precise coolant flow control. The heads’ airflow passages are also heavily revised to enhance airflow, contributing to the engine’s increased horsepower and torque. <o:p></o:p>

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Does anybody know about the injectors yet? From what I've read it looks like they're conventional solenoids instead of piezo's. If so, I'm wondering what voltage they run at? Maybo one could use say a bosch e35a controller on one of these engines so you could have all the advantages of the new engine/heads, but do away with the emissions.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Does anybody know about the injectors yet? From what I've read it looks like they're conventional solenoids instead of piezo's. If so, I'm wondering what voltage they run at? Maybo one could use say a bosch e35a controller on one of these engines so you could have all the advantages of the new engine/heads, but do away with the emissions.

They aren't Bosch injectors. Denso sticks...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
They aren't Bosch injectors. Denso sticks...

I understand this, but if the voltage is similiar, the BOSCH ecm may be able to control them. J7st throwing an idea out there as the L5P looks like one heck of an engine, and would be a nice foundation for many who don't neccesarily want a new truck.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I heard that ez lynk tuning is (from a well known tuner) in the works? Is this just rumor or actually possible?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I heard that ez lynk tuning is (from a well known tuner) in the works? Is this just rumor or actually possible?

I'm not sure how it would be since the trucks aren't available to the public yet unless the guy somehow got his hand on a pre-production ECM.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I thought I read somewhere the l5p uses a similar ecm to the Colorado which they already have tuning for? Maybe that's how