2017 Duramax

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Is the turbo a Borg unit?

The engine looks very impressive and improved in some vital areas IMO. Those being crank, rods, and pistons.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I just heard from my dealer today that they were informed that only 34 gmc diesels in the 2017 initial build are being built. nation wide. anyone else heard that?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Edit
Well with the changes to the block the heads fitting is probably pretty unlikely.
They have made changes to the block before without altering the head bolt pattern or bore spacing. The LML block was quite different in terms of materials and casting. But I can see them using this as an opportunity to change things up.

I'm just hoping they don't, because it would be cool to say you can bolt parts from a 2001 onto a 2017 and vice versa, even if that is a dumb thing to do :D

I suppose we will have to wait until someone gets their paws on one and tears it apart. So many questions I'd like answered...

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Yeah I stopped in, they called about a few updates I guess. idk. anyway was talking with the manager, which I know very well, the dealer is pretty big as well, and he said 34 trucks for 2017 in gmc diesels. I have no clue about the chevy diesels tho. I said no way. and he said Yeah that's what they want were told. supposedly, they can only get 3 right away. who knows.

I sure hope he is wrong, sounds like many of you guys want one, gonna be lots of people not to happy.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Taking anything a dealer says and using it as reliable info is a joke lol

I completely agree. but I know normally he's pretty good. known him for years. bought probably 15 trucks from there.
that being said, I highly doubt they make that few of trucks. but who knows. I don't care either way, i know i wont be buying one. just saying what I told.

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Yeah I stopped in, they called about a few updates I guess. idk. anyway was talking with the manager, which I know very well, the dealer is pretty big as well, and he said 34 trucks for 2017 in gmc diesels. I have no clue about the chevy diesels tho. I said no way. and he said Yeah that's what they want were told. supposedly, they can only get 3 right away. who knows.

I sure hope he is wrong, sounds like many of you guys want one, gonna be lots of people not to happy.

Dumbest chit ive heard. 34 trucks in 50 states? Lol. Gm would have just waited

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Dumbest chit ive heard. 34 trucks in 50 states? Lol. Gm would have just waited
like I said. just asked if anyone else heard anything like that. as I didn't believe it either, and still don't. Doesn't make sense but again, unless you are head of gm prodruction. you can only go off your own thoughts as well. :)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yeah key upgrades to who? me? hardly.....
I hate anything to do with apple. sure don't need a wireless charging. I have a mophi already. lol
I don't use my navigation I have now....... I use my phone when needed. which is rare.
and the 19 trucks I own for my business, which are gm, Ford, and a few cummins, none need or have steering assist.
nor do my dump trucks, skid steers, excavators ect. I think I'll be ok. lol
like I said I'm happy with my deleted 15. has more power, and costs less then a 16 or 17.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ok but digital steering assist is a big difference...entirely new steering box etc..

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
doubtful theres only 34. that is just what i was told by a guy that manages/ owns starks dealerships in wisconsin. still dont believe it. guess we shall see.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I really wonder if that particular dealer is getting 34, and somewhere along the line was a miscommunication that there would only be 34 nationwide?

I am interested to see if the new steering setup is any stronger. I keep crapping out steering boxes because I run 13" wide tires at 30 PSI all the time, and the junk Saginaw style box can't cut it for long... :(

Actually, there are a number of things on the '17 that interest me. This is actually the first new Duramax that has piqued my interest since the 2006 LBZ. Pity I can't afford one.

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
EGR comes off the manifold now instead of the up-pipe, I wonder if the LML or older manifolds will bolt up to the new heads

Attachments

• 17-Duramax-2.jpg
    17-Duramax-2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 146

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
The port is larger and funnels down to the valve. But I can't believe how small the area behind the valve is compared to the LML

Attachments

• 17-Duramax-01.jpg
    17-Duramax-01.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 163