2017 Duramax

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
Here's an interesting photo, look what's stamped on the charge air pipe :)
77cee686b5191ba4fc6743928f317edd.png

No cat on that L5P test motor, I like that version better

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Cleaned up the environmental garbage. Although the seal comments were funny.

So basically they crammed more emissions crap under the hood, and added a bunch more unnecessary but nice features.

Where's the upgraded body and front end?

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The port is larger and funnels down to the valve. But I can't believe how small the area behind the valve is compared to the LML

It is an optical delusion. The cut is in a different place relative to the valve center line. Valve opening is about the same. Slightly higher floor and the entry into valve is more tangent to the cylinder.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It is an optical delusion. The cut is in a different place relative to the valve center line. Valve opening is about the same. Slightly higher floor and the entry into valve is more tangent to the cylinder.

Do you have any thoughts on the new crank Jon? Or anything else on the long block that you think is a good improvement for the high performance crowd??

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Details are painfully few and far between.

The larger journals will go a long way to address crank failures since the primary factor appears to be the overly thin throw with no where to add material. Increasing the Mains would have accomplished the same thing, but I don't know if there was room in the block casting.

The larger journals. however, may create new problems for the high rev performance people.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Cleaned up the environmental garbage. Although the seal comments were funny.

So basically they crammed more emissions crap under the hood, and added a bunch more unnecessary but nice features.

Where's the upgraded body and front end?

You in a bad mood tonight?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Looks super easy to build delete parts for now. Almost want to cancel my 16 and order a 17 lol almost

For me, I'd go with a 16 because we know they can be deleted. Who knows how long it will take with the 17 before somebody can build a delete kit for it. The ECM is still an unkown at this point. With all the new security protocols, who knows what it could take to get into the ECM. Then again, it could be a walk in the park, guess we'll all find out next year when they start hitting the lots.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yeah I just hate the cp4 and was planning on keeping the warranty temporarily but maybe I'll just save up and do a cp3 swap and delete same time

It's a tough choice though seeing as how the new trucks have a beefier crank, massive rods, redesigned heads, and so on and so on. And they did away with the cp4, installed an electric lift pump stock now, so maybe it might be a better choice. I wished I had the money to find out. Was at a fishing expo today and looked at a new f-350 on display. $72k, and it was just a well optioned 4x4 dually, not even a special edition.

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI

After looking at this comparison pic of the heads I can see the ports look better

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
That sounds promising. Wonder what modifications would be necessary to run these in the older engines, if possible.