2017 Duramax

strega440

Jul 25, 2014
CA
Ah shit, I didn't read the rules on how many post you have to have before you can speak your mind, or talk trash. I's sorry I's be a good ignorant moron from now on boss.......:bow::rules:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Ah shit, I didn't read the rules on how many post you have to have before you can speak your mind, or talk trash. I's sorry I's be a good ignorant moron from now on boss.......
You can talk trash all you want, but don't be surprised that we give you a rough time for it :rolleyes:

I'm not sure who exactly Ben was referring to with the comment about "you guys" not having the slightest clue what goes into designing auto parts, but we do have some people on here who do know what it takes. Let's not forget some parts that were made by humble members of the public, namely Wagler heads and Fingers' pistons. Not to mention the aftermarket for the Duramax, including rods, cams, etc.

In some ways GM phoned in aspects of the engine design on ALL the model years. Just design trade-offs that have to be made so a new truck isn't $80,000. ...er, bad example, but you know what I mean. But just because GM spent a ton of money and quality engineering time on something doesn't mean it can't be improved. Isn't that the whole reason this site exists?

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
I'd say GM has done a lot better job engineering a reliable HD diesel platform than Ford and Dodge/Ram since the Duramax first made its appearance. I'd take my LLY over an 05 cummins or powerstroke any day of the week. I have faith they won't let us down with the 2017. If they do, I'll just buy a LBZ :thumb:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
You can talk trash all you want, but don't be surprised that we give you a rough time for it :rolleyes:

I'm not sure who exactly Ben was referring to with the comment about "you guys" not having the slightest clue what goes into designing auto parts, but we do have some people on here who do know what it takes. Let's not forget some parts that were made by humble members of the public, namely Wagler heads and Fingers' pistons. Not to mention the aftermarket for the Duramax, including rods, cams, etc.

In some ways GM phoned in aspects of the engine design on ALL the model years. Just design trade-offs that have to be made so a new truck isn't $80,000. ...er, bad example, but you know what I mean. But just because GM spent a ton of money and quality engineering time on something doesn't mean it can't be improved. Isn't that the whole reason this site exists?

I agree completely. Just because they spent millions of dollars engineering it, doesn't mean they didn't make mistakes or GASP take short cuts...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Oh well maybe you can design a better one. I hear there are open engineering positions at GM Powertrain.

Lets hear it, what changes would you have personally made? And how should GM design the 2017 Duramax?

If any of you guys had even the SLIGHTEST clue at the cost or effort that goes into designing anything automotive..............

The fact that these things all work as well as they do is a pretty impressive feat...I swear, automotive engineers are probably the most under-appreciated/thanked people in the world. All these ignorant morons out there picking their (the engineers') work apart, without focusing on the 98% of shit that they (the engineers) got RIGHT on the engine.

So put some head studs in your LLY, fix the injector wiring harness, and calm down.

Ben

Yada Yada Yada...:teknology:

Some of us know more than they really want too...:dontknow:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ah shit, I didn't read the rules on how many post you have to have before you can speak your mind, or talk trash. I's sorry I's be a good ignorant moron from now on boss.......:bow::rules:

This forum is about helping and sharing info. You have offered none except bullshit. You like playing the wise guy with nothing to offer. You think you are cool. You are a moron.
Now try and contribute something here and lose the tude. You are playing with the big boys here and we can't use your BS.
We will gladly tell you when you are cool. If you can not, we will call Uber for you.:D

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Oh well maybe you can design a better one. I hear there are open engineering positions at GM Powertrain.

Lets hear it, what changes would you have personally made? And how should GM design the 2017 Duramax?

If any of you guys had even the SLIGHTEST clue at the cost or effort that goes into designing anything automotive..............

The fact that these things all work as well as they do is a pretty impressive feat...I swear, automotive engineers are probably the most under-appreciated/thanked people in the world. All these ignorant morons out there picking their (the engineers') work apart, without focusing on the 98% of shit that they (the engineers) got RIGHT on the engine.

So put some head studs in your LLY, fix the injector wiring harness, and calm down.

Ben

Nope. Those that work in IT are the most under-appreciated/thanked people in the world. :/. But I digress.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

strega440

Jul 25, 2014
CA
This forum is about helping and sharing info. You have offered none except bullshit. You like playing the wise guy with nothing to offer. You think you are cool. You are a moron.
Now try and contribute something here and lose the tude. You are playing with the big boys here and we can't use your BS.
We will gladly tell you when you are cool. If you can not, we will call Uber for you.:D

Mike, I've been a mechanic for over forty years! worked in an auto repair shop 10 + years, 4 years for the marines corps as a diesel mechanic. So I dont think moron is quite what I would describe myself as. I've owned and worked on ford, dodge, chevy, pontiac. I would take the duramax over a cummins or power stroke any day. I do like the LLY now that I have put almost every after market part there is in it and on it to keep it from overheating while towing my toyhauler. Donner pass, Tioga pass, the Grapevine, Halloran pass and the Ike... it would always get to 240+. I installed an extra radiator under the front frame relocated the transmission oil cooler and installed a fan on both, now it runs about 220 on any pass. the head gaskets finally blew on the Ike. replaced the them (cab on) what a drag!
So if I bag on the engineering a little I think I've earned the right to, not that I need to get permission from you and the big boys to be considered cool... what an uber

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Mike, I've been a mechanic for over forty years! worked in an auto repair shop 10 + years, 4 years for the marines corps as a diesel mechanic. So I dont think moron is quite what I would describe myself as. I've owned and worked on ford, dodge, chevy, pontiac. I would take the duramax over a cummins or power stroke any day. I do like the LLY now that I have put almost every after market part there is in it and on it to keep it from overheating while towing my toyhauler. Donner pass, Tioga pass, the Grapevine, Halloran pass and the Ike... it would always get to 240+. I installed an extra radiator under the front frame relocated the transmission oil cooler and installed a fan on both, now it runs about 220 on any pass. the head gaskets finally blew on the Ike. replaced the them (cab on) what a drag!
So if I bag on the engineering a little I think I've earned the right to, not that I need to get permission from you and the big boys to be considered cool... what an uber

What do you have for a toy hauler?

strega440

Jul 25, 2014
CA
A 35' 2016 attitude fifth wheel, weights 11k empty and 13k or so loaded.
Before that a 2014 37' cyclone fifth wheel that weight about 13k empty 15 loaded, and before that a 24' 04 sierra sport t.t. toyhauler. funny the new one weights almost the same as our first one.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wow this thread can get more worthless.
I can play to. My dad can beat up your dad!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk