2017 Duramax

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Nope. Those that work in IT are the most under-appreciated/thanked people in the world. :/. But I digress.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
What do you get when you cross an IT guy with a hooker? A F-cking know it all.
It has been my experience, the DOT goes by axle weight ratings and tires. Not gross vehicle rating. I have rolled over several state check points with a 19,000 lb boat hooked to the bumper. They checked the weight on each axle, trailer is triple 8k, and truck had about 1,000lb Tongue (iirc). Officer checked trailer tag and tires on truck then said have a nice trip sir.

Now we are derailed fer sure:D
They must be nicer to recreational peeps, hit the scale at 80,001 lbs with a 5 axle semi and you get a cozy parking spot out back.

There are some states that actually only go by tire rating and tire width. Michigan is one of them. You can have 20k on a 12k steer axle as long as you put 445 tires on it. They also allow 160k max with the right axles and they ever have a minimum horsepower rule.
Oh Yeah, dont forget the millions of dollars gm spent on the design of the lly engine! I don't know why anyone would crap on poor ole gms engineering team....

a5b396c347de872b94943c105776321a.jpg

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Holyshit! What happened to this thread?! I genuinely started this thread about the 2017's because I knew GM would be giving the Dmax a do over for that MY. That and the fact that I'm really considering buying one.

So, anyone hear or read anything new these last few days?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I personally can't say anything specifically with regards to the 2017...... but.... SCREW THAT. Personally, I want nothing to do with anything newer than a 2007 classic. I am having enough 'fun' with my wifes 2010 tdi and passing emissions... Just.... Don't.... Get... me.... started... if you have a LB7, LLY or LBZ... KEEP IT!!!!! The new trucks are nice... but not worth the BS attached to them. Should something happen to my 04, there is ZERO chance I would look to replace it with anything newer than an '07 classic... screw LMM+.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I personally can't say anything specifically with regards to the 2017...... but.... SCREW THAT. Personally, I want nothing to do with anything newer than a 2007 classic. I am having enough 'fun' with my wifes 2010 tdi and passing emissions... Just.... Don't.... Get... me.... started... if you have a LB7, LLY or LBZ... KEEP IT!!!!! The new trucks are nice... but not worth the BS attached to them. Should something happen to my 04, there is ZERO chance I would look to replace it with anything newer than an '07 classic... screw LMM+.

I wouldn't say that buddy. My 15 is an incredible machine, i love it, they just need a little tweaking...:)

Hopefully, the 17 won't disappoint us...:hug:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I wouldn't say that buddy. My 15 is an incredible machine, i love it, they just need a little tweaking...:)

Hopefully, the 17 won't disappoint us...:hug:
Except for one detail: 2007 classic and older doesn't need to deal with the emissions BS... LMMs are soso in that they are easy to delete, and barring that, even emissions intact, they are pretty reliable... But the LML's... yeah... the pig piss needs to go away. Poll all LML owners, and I bet they have spent more time in the shop due to that pig piss than all other 'emissions' issues combined... Diesel emissions are a freaking joke, and despite how 'nice' the new trucks are, you will NOT see me in anything newer than an a '07 classic. PERIOD. Between me with my mechanical, and my best friend and his body skills, my 04 will never die....

The bottom line, at last for me, is I want to deal with the least amount of crap possible... for me, anything LMM+ is more than I want to deal with... and if more people didn't 'bend over' and buy trucks because they were 'nicer', LMM+ sales would have tanked and the 'EPA' would have pounded sand for a bit... JMO.

The ONLY way you will find me in anything 2007 GMT900+ will be if the 'EPA' 'goes away' and previous diesel emissions are void... Other than that, I will drive my 04 until the wheels fall off and the body rusts out... And both will be fixed...

Hell.... in a perfect world, I would love to find a 04 LB7 CCLB that matches my 04 LLY CCLB and return my LLY to stock and transplant my 'LBZ' into the LB7 body.....

Barring that, without removing the emissions BS from the factory.... as they say in Brooklyn... Fuggedaboutit.....

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

Im obsessed with my 2012 Denali, and its bone stock (except for LML DSP testing)....emissions intact. 116k miles and its had only ONE problem with the emissions components, a bad NOx sensor at ~90k miles I think.

It runs awesome, sooo quiet/smooth, I love the factory TCM tuning (compared to 2006-2010 6-speed), doesnt smell, and easily gets 19mpg highway. The brakes are amazing, the chassis is amazing, it handles great, the TCS/ESC (stabilitrak) calibration is bang on in ice/snow and not over-intrusive (hill start assist is pretty cool too), exhaust brake is great, onstar remote-link app is awesome...even the new 2012+ nav unit im pretty impressed with (nice graphics with animated menus, has some large/prominent city buildings rendered in 3D, text-to-speech for nav guidance), compared to the 2003-2011 nav unit that was lame early-2000's tech at best in terms of UI, graphics, and navigation capabilities. The USB power from the nav unit seems limited though, so if you have Pandora and google maps going on your phone, it charges very slowly.

It took a while to find a flawless-condition Denali like I wanted with nav, sunroof, cooled seats, and side-airbags....but I couldnt be happier with it. Best vehicle Ive ever owned. Ive had it for almost a year and I still love driving it, I honestly have zero desire to delete it...its been so many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of driving a loud/fast/built/smelly (big injectors)/creaky/quirky truck that I just got so tired of it. Yes, the LML throttle response needs help; it can sometimes feel really laggy, but nothing a pedal-to-torque map tweak wont fix.

I still have my LLY, and Ill never sell it just for sentimental reasons (and everything ive done to it would be an un-understandable headache for anyone else but me LOL)...every once in a while Ill drive my LLY just to charge the batteries and run the engine up to temp, and I do smile when I get back into it, but once I hop back into my LML, I forget about it again.

Admittedly, the GMT-900 seats arent QUITE as comfortable as -800 seats, the GMT-900 interior has its chintzy-ness (knock on wood, my dash hasnt cracked)....but those are nitpicky things.

If the emissions components ever start giving me troubles, I might re-think my decision to delete it, I dunno. And ill be CP3-swapping it when I can set some time aside. Definitely going to do everything I can to keep it as quiet as stock though, IF I ever delete it.

I have zero doubt that the 2017 L5P will be awesome. If I had the money, Id buy one the second they come out. For everyone whining about the "potential problems" with the emissions systems, big deal. It has a 100k mile warranty for that, so who cares??? :)

Ben

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Im obsessed with my 2012 Denali, and its bone stock (except for LML DSP testing)....emissions intact. 116k miles and its had only ONE problem with the emissions components, a bad NOx sensor at ~90k miles I think.

It runs awesome, sooo quiet/smooth, I love the factory TCM tuning (compared to 2006-2010 6-speed), doesnt smell, and easily gets 19mpg highway. The brakes are amazing, the chassis is amazing, it handles great, the TCS/ESC (stabilitrak) calibration is bang on in ice/snow and not over-intrusive (hill start assist is pretty cool too), exhaust brake is great, onstar remote-link app is awesome...even the new 2012+ nav unit im pretty impressed with (nice graphics with animated menus, has some large/prominent city buildings rendered in 3D, text-to-speech for nav guidance), compared to the 2003-2011 nav unit that was lame early-2000's tech at best in terms of UI, graphics, and navigation capabilities. The USB power from the nav unit seems limited though, so if you have Pandora and google maps going on your phone, it charges very slowly.

It took a while to find a flawless-condition Denali like I wanted with nav, sunroof, cooled seats, and side-airbags....but I couldnt be happier with it. Best vehicle Ive ever owned. Ive had it for almost a year and I still love driving it, I honestly have zero desire to delete it...its been so many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of driving a loud/fast/built/smelly (big injectors)/creaky/quirky truck that I just got so tired of it. Yes, the LML throttle response needs help; it can sometimes feel really laggy, but nothing a pedal-to-torque map tweak wont fix.

I still have my LLY, and Ill never sell it just for sentimental reasons (and everything ive done to it would be an un-understandable headache for anyone else but me LOL)...every once in a while Ill drive my LLY just to charge the batteries and run the engine up to temp, and I do smile when I get back into it, but once I hop back into my LML, I forget about it again.

Admittedly, the GMT-900 seats arent QUITE as comfortable as -800 seats, the GMT-900 interior has its chintzy-ness (knock on wood, my dash hasnt cracked)....but those are nitpicky things.

If the emissions components ever start giving me troubles, I might re-think my decision to delete it, I dunno. And ill be CP3-swapping it when I can set some time aside. Definitely going to do everything I can to keep it as quiet as stock though, IF I ever delete it.

I have zero doubt that the 2017 L5P will be awesome. If I had the money, Id buy one the second they come out. For everyone whining about the "potential problems" with the emissions systems, big deal. It has a 100k mile warranty for that, so who cares??? :)

Ben

Oh man, thanks Ben, now I really want to go buy an LML...:mad::D:D

Yellowchevy

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

Ben

While I agree with you in pretty much everything you said, I would have to say the people that buy these trucks and depend on them day to day for work care a lot about the reliability of the emissions systems. While they might not be out any money for the repairs, being without the truck because of problems can be very costly to their business.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut

Ben

Spot on.....

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
While I agree with you in pretty much everything you said, I would have to say the people that buy these trucks and depend on them day to day for work care a lot about the reliability of the emissions systems. While they might not be out any money for the repairs, being without the truck because of problems can be very costly to their business.

The downtime is usually what hurts the most.
This reliability issue is the biggest complaint I hear about across the board with all 3 brands. And it's almost always related to emissions. For some reason GM def seems to be the worst one though.

Ben thinks it's not a big deal because you got warranty. Tell that to the guy with the 13 Denali I helped who was pulling his BIG camper across rural Southern Saskatchewan with his wife and three young kids. They were sitting on the side of a busy highway all because his def pump quit working early into the days leg of the trip and the truck ran so bad with reduced power now he couldn't make it up a good long hill.

Saturday afternoon, long weekend 127km from the nearest dealer that won't be open for 2 more days, on star had no communication and even with my booster I had no cell service. He said he was towing it to Dodge as in 40 000 miles it had given him more grief than any previous truck. Mostly emissions related.

Can't blame him. I'd be frustrated too. Warranty doesn't help you if it can only get fixed Monday to Friday, if they have time. Not as big a deal if you live in or close to the city and have more than one dealer to choose from.
A little different for those who actually use the trucks for what they were designed. Although the last few years I feel they've been pussified to the point they are more like a yuppie minivan now.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is nothing about my dads 15.5 loaded non-denali i dont like. the bad shifting it was having seems to have cleared up last i drove it. has 23k on it now and has not been back to the dealer for anything other than oil changes. im just power hungry and need more out of them before i buy one :angel:

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes the emissions seem to be the biggest problem. All the ambulances here used to run on diesel. Now there isn't one diesel around. I asked the the guys what the deal was knowing full well it had to be because of the emissions screwing up. Sure enough, that's exactly what he told me.

When/if I buy a new Dmax, I will drive it stock for a little while and see that mileage and reliability I get. But to be honest with you, I can't see myself not deleting and tuning it. I have a hard time driving stock. :)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yes the emissions seem to be the biggest problem. All the ambulances here used to run on diesel. Now there isn't one diesel around. I asked the the guys what the deal was knowing full well it had to be because of the emissions screwing up. Sure enough, that's exactly what he told me.

When/if I buy a new Dmax, I will drive it stock for a little while and see that mileage and reliability I get. But to be honest with you, I can't see myself not deleting and tuning it. I have a hard time driving stock. :)

GM ambulance/special service duramax's get special calibrations that dont force the engine into limp mode for emissions-related faults.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That doesn't mean much then they still "break down" due to emissions issues.

IMO the tech isn't up to par on the Regs for diesels yet. Until we get thought these growing pains I won't be getting a new diesel truck. I just hope we just moving into being behind the ball on the tech for safety regs next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My cousin manages an ambulance service in northern CA. Their old rigs are all diesel, and work great. Their new ones were diesel, but since they tend to get short trips, they would never complete a regen, and it is hard to justify taking one of your vehicles out of service to drive an hour on the highway for the regen to finish, so they deleted them (per the EPA exemption). Nonetheless, they refuse to buy new diesel ambulances, and are migrating to gas. The increased fuel cost is lower than the opportunity cost of having the diesels out of service, not to mention the possible liability if one went into limp mode with a patient inside.

I really like the new trucks on paper. Side curtain air bags, better chassis, better brakes, etc. But the interior feels "cheap" to me, and from the experience I have with my 2013 Cruze and my brother's 2014 Cruze, GM has a long way to go on their electronics before I consider them reliable. GM has been going on about how they are investing in more reliable electronics (really just the software that sucks, IMO), so if that takes effect in 2017, that will be a real tempting truck.

I do have some lingering concerns about the emissions equipment becoming a money pit once the truck is out of warranty, especially with states cracking down on deletes. But as more states make deleting harder/impossible, we will finally see the aftermarket step up and make cheap replacement emissions parts, so that will probably be a non-issue. Just me being paranoid.