May 20, 2010
MA
20apekz.jpg

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
That's correct. They had a low pressure fuel pump and each injector did the high pressure injection using high pressure oil to do the actuation like 7.3 PS. Their other engines at the time were like most others - either using the valve train to do the actuation or a high pressure scroll pump.

I believe it was Cummins that first did true common rail on their industrial / truck engines but pretty sure that was post Mitsubishi's first design. GM was the first to use it in the North American pickup market.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
HINO holds the title of having the 1st successfull CRD engine in 1995. SEVERAL had tried before this time going all the way back to the 20's when the idea for a common rail electronically actuated diesel injectored engine was 1st thought of.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I obviously know more than you do...;)

Its an oil pump, not an injection pump which was what was being discussed. Heui uses oil to pressurize the fuel not an injection pump...

The point I made was there is a HEUI pump. Yes I do know that it uses it to pressure the oil, the injection pump is in the injector itself. I work on CAT for a living. The person who thought CAT had a injection pump, I was stating it used a HEUI pump that is mistaken for an injection pump. Sorry for the confusion.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
caterpillar or some other company had been using cp3 since the 80s?!

haha absolutely not.

The CP3, and diesel high pressure common rail fuel injection as we know it today only came out in like 1997, when the Dmax was first being materialized.

I think the Duramax and some Mercedes Benz were the first common-rail diesels in the world.

Prior to 97-ish, every diesel was either mechanical, used a primitive electronically controlled traditional rotary/distributor style diesel injection pump, or some sort of unit injector.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Oops....Ferm you're right! Denso was first in 1995. It was on a Hino truck.

First passenger cars were Mercedes and Alfa Romeo in 1997. And then the Duramax could probably safely be called the 4th mass-production diesel in the world to use HPCR.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
haha absolutely not.

The CP3, and diesel high pressure common rail fuel injection as we know it today only came out in like 1997, when the Dmax was first being materialized.

I think the Duramax and some Mercedes Benz were the first common-rail diesels in the world.

Prior to 97-ish, every diesel was either mechanical, used a primitive electronically controlled traditional rotary/distributor style diesel injection pump, or some sort of unit injector.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was mistaken somewhere along the line or misinterpreted it. I guess I learn something everyday.

I also didn't know cat used heui. Which i wouldnt have a clue there anyway. I have never worked on an heavy machinery other than an old ac and ford tractor my grandfather has. I know how the 7.3s worked. It's actually very intresting. Sort of mind boggling at first.

So I wonder what the next stepping stone gm is going to come out with for 17?! Im getting anxious!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
classic example of a great idea that was simply just waiting for the technology to catch up in terms of speed and processing power.

As Ferm said, the concept and idea has been around for almost 100 years...but it wasnt until the mid 1990's that the computing power to operate it became available.

I think I remember Mike L saying something similar of the 4L80...GM actually designed the 4L80 wayyy way back, but simply didnt have the electronic controls and processing power to reliably control it...so they had to shelve it until 1991, when they finally had a viable controller ready.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
The point I made was there is a HEUI pump. Yes I do know that it uses it to pressure the oil, the injection pump is in the injector itself. I work on CAT for a living. The person who thought CAT had a injection pump, I was stating it used a HEUI pump that is mistaken for an injection pump. Sorry for the confusion.

Something like these?:D
20160518_114108.jpg

Attachments

• 20160518_114108.jpg
    20160518_114108.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 186