2017 Duramax

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Is there any chance of them going back to push for a quick tune update after seeing Fords numbers released?

GM will probably lie about their numbers ( on the low side ). The 15 and a half and 16 are putting down more power than the earlier LML's and GM never said a word about it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Too much shit under the hood for me.
Did they change the body much? Doesn't look like it.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
GM will probably lie about their numbers ( on the low side ). The 15 and a half and 16 are putting down more power than the earlier LML's and GM never said a word about it.
They've been pulling that trick for years. It is part of the reason Ford will have more power on paper, but get their ass handed to them on the hill climb tests.

That, and I think Ford lies about their numbers on the high side.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They've been pulling that trick for years. It is part of the reason Ford will have more power on paper, but get their ass handed to them on the hill climb tests.

That, and I think Ford lies about their numbers on the high side.

I agree there. But why does GM do that? From a marketing standpoint, wouldn't it make sense to boast the "Best In Class" numbers?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree there. But why does GM do that? From a marketing standpoint, wouldn't it make sense to boast the "Best In Class" numbers?
GM tends to have their motors tested to SAE specs, which are a worst-case test. That way, when they say it has "x" power, it means it has at least "x" power. Since they have been doing the SAE ratings for so long, if they didn't for the new one, I suspect more people would cry fowl ("what are they hiding? why can't it pass SAE tests?" etc) than would buy it for the biggest power numbers.

And really, for 90% of truck buyers, the raw HP numbers won't be the final factor in the sale. Most people don't pull that heavy (or pull at all lol), so ride comfort, truck style, interior features, etc, all factor in. If GM is close to Ford's rating, they shouldn't have any problems selling it. Especially if the real world tests come in showing GM has more actual power, as has historically happened.

At least that is what I think their reasoning is. Just my uninformed :2cents:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Curious what all the heat shielding is covering! The (what i assume is valley charger exhaust housing) shielding is much longer from front to back!? Is it still a single charger?

Hopefully, not just the BV70...;)

It's obviously not a Garrett nor in the same mounting location....