2017 Duramax

Sparky21

Jul 15, 2016
Pacific NW
What if GM came out with two different diesel engines? A smaller diesel, not unlike the shelved 4.5L, perhaps at a displacement at something closer to 4.0L. And a 2<SUP>nd</SUP>, larger engine to replace the current LML.<O:p</O:p
I can see the smaller being an option for the ½ and ¾ and perhaps 1 ton trucks and SUV’s. The smaller engine would fit the bill for a greater number of folks and be of a more mainstream and affordable design. This smaller engine would be mated with one of GM’s transmissions, improving their bottom line. Being of larger displacement than the competitions 3.0L engines, it should offer good performance and still deliver good fuel economy, especially with the integration of a “fuel economy mode” button. I would expect power and torque to be at or better than that seen in the LB7 engine. GM will need to improve the FE of their SUVs. This engine could do that. With the FE and performance a diesel of this size would bring it could perhaps even increase the popularity of GM full-size SUVs.<O:p</O:p
The larger engine would be a premium option for the HD’s and a step up from what we have been seeing from GM, or from the others for that matter. This makes sense to me as I think we have seen that the buying public is willing to spend a lot of money on premium trucks. <O:p></O:p>
There has been talk in the past of the LML replacement engine using top shelf components. I can see this larger engine being a top tier option-likely of premium construction compared to the competition.<O:p</O:p
The larger diesel would retain the Allison, likely updated to handle more power and torque and with a greater GCVW. I don’t think more speeds in the near future is unreasonable, though I would expect it to be a couple of years yet-perhaps something like a smaller version of Allison’s TC10.<O:p</O:p
The two engine strategy would keep the everyday Joe in the game as well as catering to the higher end crowd. Additionally, the smaller engine would likely be found in a good many of the pickups and would improve the corporate AFE while still allowing them to produce a halo diesel truck.<O:p</O:p
This of course is all speculation but it makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps some of the rumors as to engine components correspond to the smaller of the engines and not necessarily the larger?<O:p</O:p

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Well sparky you got one thing right, people are willing to spend a lot of money on pickups. Lots of friends driving 50-60k+ trucks, yet I get all the "must be nice" money jokes for buying an Audi (nevermind the fact it was less, and nice)

I think your idea of two engines makes sense, I don't know that it would be implemented but it's a good idea. It's just like bigger trucks. You can choose the big block engine if you need it, or just want it, or you can go for the smaller one if you're running 80k or less and wanting to make money.

Offer an eco-diesel for those that don't need/want the big engine, but offer the big engine for those that want/need it. The key thing to remember is those that need the big engine though, they aren't willing to pay an extreme amount for a "premium" option when they simply need it to get their work done.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Well sparky you got one thing right, people are willing to spend a lot of money on pickups. Lots of friends driving 50-60k+ trucks, yet I get all the "must be nice" money jokes for buying an Audi (nevermind the fact it was less, and nice)

I think your idea of two engines makes sense, I don't know that it would be implemented but it's a good idea. It's just like bigger trucks. You can choose the big block engine if you need it, or just want it, or you can go for the smaller one if you're running 80k or less and wanting to make money.

Offer an eco-diesel for those that don't need/want the big engine, but offer the big engine for those that want/need it. The key thing to remember is those that need the big engine though, they aren't willing to pay an extreme amount for a "premium" option when they simply need it to get their work done.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me. My rock/boulder guy has a C16 in his 379 because he moves large equipment too. The C13 in our Kenworth does great for what it was put in the truck for.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sparky, I hope you work for GM and came here to give us answers. The MY 2017 Duramax is starting to remind me of the new iPhone 7, all speculation until GM steps on the stage and introduces it:roflmao:

Sparky21

Jul 15, 2016
Pacific NW
"The key thing to remember is those that need the big engine though, they aren't willing to pay an extreme amount for a "premium" option when they simply need it to get their work done. "

Agreed. That is a problem with the theory. Although, I wonder if something like a 4.0L could provide enough power needed for most of those working their trucks-if its making power similar to what the LB7 did. Perhaps a less expensive version-continuing with the LML as a "budget" option until it no longer meets the emissions requirements. I'm curious how Ram's multi-diesel engine options work out for them, though my understanding there is that there is no mechanical difference between the engines, only tuning and the transmission behind them. I do think that GM will try and work an angle to sell more of their own transmissions while still giving the option of an Allison-like unto what Ram is currently doing.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
lol, you guys think these trucks are expensive now.....then you want to add a second diesel engine option!?!?! That literally costs millions of dollars to just add another engine option to a vehicle platform.....oh and that doesnt include the cost of designing that engine in the first place. Thats JUST to make an existing engine integrated into a given platform.

Ben

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ford released their numbers today. They're Best In Class everything now from what I read in the Truck Trend article. Ram I'm sure was just waiting for those numbers. GM it seems, as of yet, isn't in the same league. Well, at least on paper anyway;)

Sparky21

Jul 15, 2016
Pacific NW
lol, you guys think these trucks are expensive now.....then you want to add a second diesel engine option!?!?! That literally costs millions of dollars to just add another engine option to a vehicle platform.....oh and that doesnt include the cost of designing that engine in the first place. Thats JUST to make an existing engine integrated into a given platform.

Ben

Understood. But that's two engines distributed over a much larger number of vehicles (1/2 tons and SUV's). There's little doubt there will be a another diesel engine offered for the 1/2 tons. It just a matter of when and in what configuration.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
A buddy sent me some info

"I believe New RPO code L5P, Denso fuel system, continental ECM, 445hp/850tq, functioning ram air hood."

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1469576617531.jpg
    FB_IMG_1469576617531.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 290
  • FB_IMG_1469576624183.jpg
    FB_IMG_1469576624183.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 299

Rebelz71

May 18, 2016
My phone won't let me post all the pictures under one post. If someone wants to go back and combine all the pictures into one post that would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited: