2017 Duramax

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Wonder why the change when the Garretts have been good to GM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Probably a bean counter in classic GM fashion said they can get these for $0.30 a piece less. GM has been known to do things just like this for the sake of satisfying the bean counters.

dmproske

Jun 6, 2016
I fully expect GM to come in 2nd in hp and 3rd in tq with this release. GM has no problem not staying in the lead. Remember all the years of the 6.2 and 6.5 diesel getting spanked by the Cummins Rams and 7.3 Fords. Then the 5.0 base Mustangs spanking the best Camaros GM could muster in the 80's and 90's.

Currently GM doesn't seem to care that the 5.0 Mustang will walk on the Camaro SS. If I remember correctly its the same with the GT350 and GT500 vs the ZL1 and Z28.

Like others have said, where does it stop? Give me a dependable, well made, long lasting truck with 400 hp and 850 tq that doesnt cost 75 grand and Ill be a happy man. Dont lock the ECM so I can remove the 1000 pounds of emissions garbage for my offroad farm use and Ill be even happier.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Thats the same turbo thats on the Ford 6.4.

The 2017 Duramax will not be twin turbo...so Im not sure that is correct info.

I know a bv70 is going on it. I'm just hoping it has a big brother. I was told GM toyed with twins in the past but underhood temps kept it from production. Maybe the hood scoop is the answer they needed...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I fully expect GM to come in 2nd in hp and 3rd in tq with this release. GM has no problem not staying in the lead. Remember all the years of the 6.2 and 6.5 diesel getting spanked by the Cummins Rams and 7.3 Fords. Then the 5.0 base Mustangs spanking the best Camaros GM could muster in the 80's and 90's.

Currently GM doesn't seem to care that the 5.0 Mustang will walk on the Camaro SS. If I remember correctly its the same with the GT350 and GT500 vs the ZL1 and Z28.

Like others have said, where does it stop? Give me a dependable, well made, long lasting truck with 400 hp and 850 tq that doesnt cost 75 grand and Ill be a happy man. Dont lock the ECM so I can remove the 1000 pounds of emissions garbage for my offroad farm use and Ill be even happier.
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that. While on paper, GM may be way behind Ford and Dodge, in real world testing, they are all pretty even with GM recently winning an unbiased head to head comparison between all 3 2015 1 ton trucks. As far as the old stuff goes, they all sucked back then. Talking about the new Mustang and Camaro, the Z28 was a benchmark in its segment winning awards and accolades from everyone who drove it. The 2016 GT350R is a direct answer to the Z28, but they knew what they were going after. I suspect if/when they come out with a new Z28 for the new generation, it will be similarly dominant. Comparing the current GT to the current SS is also not at all in Ford's favor. The new SS is a beast and dominates the GT in every aspect.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that. While on paper, GM may be way behind Ford and Dodge, in real world testing, they are all pretty even with GM recently winning an unbiased head to head comparison between all 3 2015 1 ton trucks. As far as the old stuff goes, they all sucked back then. Talking about the new Mustang and Camaro, the Z28 was a benchmark in its segment winning awards and accolades from everyone who drove it. The 2016 GT350R is a direct answer to the Z28, but they knew what they were going after. I suspect if/when they come out with a new Z28 for the new generation, it will be similarly dominant. Comparing the current GT to the current SS is also not at all in Ford's favor. The new SS is a beast and dominates the GT in every aspect.

I totaly agree.

Rebelz71

May 18, 2016
Hopefully they will add new colors this year. I want the lighter grey to come back.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Also agree the ss and ls based motors in general are kickass! Gm has came out with two different engines in the past 16 or so years that completely changed everything. The ls1 was the start. They ditched the 350 because it had been beaten to death and pushed so far it couldn't keep up with the generation of engines that were needed. So they started a new base block. (The ls series) the ls has paved it's way for many years now and has proven to be very successful.

Then in 2001 when gm introduced the duramax in their new pickup. The idea of a cp3 pump is old sure, but no body had done it in a non commercial pickup. After that is history and we have what we have now. Everyone runs a cp3/4. Now other companies are bumping up their displacement to keep being competitive. Every year after the first duramax; Ford, Dodge, ect. Have really bumped up the competition.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Then in 2001 when gm introduced the duramax in their new pickup. The idea of a cp3 pump is old sure,

Actually the Duramax was one of the first diesel engines to be high pressure common rail fuel injection. I think there were only 1 or 2 other mass production diesels in the world that used HPCR before the Duramax.

So the idea of a CP3 pump was literally brand new back when the Duramax was conceived.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Actually the Duramax was one of the first diesel engines to be high pressure common rail fuel injection. I think there were only 1 or 2 other mass production diesels in the world that used HPCR before the Duramax.

So the idea of a CP3 pump was literally brand new back when the Duramax was conceived.
I was thinking someone had told me caterpillar or some other company had been using cp3 since the 80s?! Maybe that's where I was getting confused. The common rail. Either way gm has revolutionized the industry completely. It just really erks me when people say gms rivals have surpassed gm in performance over the years.

Last edited:

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I was thinking someone had told me caterpillar or some other company had been using cp3 since the 80s?! Maybe that's where I was getting confused. The common rail. Either way gm has revolutionized the industry completely. It just really erks me when people say gms rivals have surpassed gm in performance over the years.

CAT used heui pumps. They weren't reliable.