2017 Duramax

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Put in an order for a High Country in Deep Ocean Blue/ Black interior yesterday, sounds like they will place the order Monday. Not sure how the rest works. Fully loaded with pretty much everything ended up at $64k. Won't know incentives or discounts till the truck hits the lot from what they say.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Put in an order for a High Country in Deep Ocean Blue/ Black interior yesterday, sounds like they will place the order Monday. Not sure how the rest works. Fully loaded with pretty much everything ended up at $64k. Won't know incentives or discounts till the truck hits the lot from what they say.

I'm pretty stoked to see what kind of results you pull out of these! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
They are mostly for towing heavy loads and not getting in trouble for it. Actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Well, ok. Do they all follow the SAE towing standards? I doubt it. Last I read GM was the only one actually adopting them; that's why their numbers went down a smidge in the latter half of MY 15.

I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I'm not sure what happens in other parts of the country but I know Mass has been cracking down on guys towing anything over 10k without a Class A CDL license. I wonder how many other states will follow suit because of the insane capabilities of the new one ton pickup trucks.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not sure what happens in other parts of the country but I know Mass has been cracking down on guys towing anything over 10k without a Class A CDL license. I wonder how many other states will follow suit because of the insane capabilities of the new one ton pickup trucks.

DOT requires a CDL if the GCW of a truck and trailer are over 26,000 lbs AND the trailer is over 10,000. You can tow a trailer over 10,000 as long as the combination doesn't exceed 26,000. If they're really requiring a CDL for every trailer over 10,000, they're going above and beyond federal DOT regulations.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
DOT requires a CDL if the GCW of a truck and trailer are over 26,000 lbs AND the trailer is over 10,000. You can tow a trailer over 10,000 as long as the combination doesn't exceed 26,000. If they're really requiring a CDL for every trailer over 10,000, they're going above and beyond federal DOT regulations.

This and I'm not 100% sure but I believe it applies to commercial vehicles, not personal vehicles from what Trojan is talking about. I've towed over 10k lbs many times and my trailer is rated for 21k lbs with no issues. MA is starting to require drivers to have a CDL for trucks with a gvcw higher than 10k lbs for commercial companies.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
In AZ, if it is an RV or for personal use, you can be well over 26k even if the truck is not rated for it as commercial PD cant pull you over for it. You dont need a special license either. My dads rv weighs about 40k total when loaded down and you are not required to have a different license (his rig is rated for 50k). now if you are hauling for a company, even company trucks from say sema, you can get in trouble. i know of a few guys who had that happen to them towing rigs back from sema that had business names all over them and were not the owners of the vehicles.

Now i know california will require a class A license for something very close to what josh is saying. i remember many guys having to go down to the MVD to get them due to the RV's they drove or the trailers they pulled.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
MA requires every dually to be registered commercial. Even if you never hook it to a trailer and bough it solely for personal use, it has to be registered commercial. I think that is how they are able to grab guys running heavy in the pickup trucks.

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
MA requires every dually to be registered commercial. Even if you never hook it to a trailer and bough it solely for personal use, it has to be registered commercial. I think that is how they are able to grab guys running heavy in the pickup trucks.

That's shitty.

Anything 26,001 and up is CDL territory. It's a whole other can of worms when you are getting paid and driving a truck/trailer over that 26k figure.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

its the same out here but it does not mean much. actually, any 3500 is registered that way (srw or drw), the 2500hd's and under dont get it. only difference i have seen is tags are a little cheaper for the commercial, thats it. never really understood why they do that

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Federal law clearly states any rv is exempt from having a cdl. The recreational vehicle lobbyist have made this happen as they know most retirees that have the money to buy a 1/4 million dollar coach won't if they have to go through the hassle of getting a cdl and all that goes along with it. You can jump behind the wheel of a full size semi, and latch onto your 30K lb fifth wheel with double dually axles, and so long as you're not over length, theres nothing they can do about it so long as it is being used for personnal recreational use. Now if you're being paid to drive it, you're now under commercial rules and regs.

As to needing a cdl, that can be a problem. Once you exceed 26,001 lbs, you're in cdl territory even if it's your own rig. There are some exemptions in some states, but it's up to you to find them.