2017 Duramax

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I didn't buy it to impress people... It's a work truck...

I've played GM's newly released game before, quadrasteer Denali, was always in the shop. Lets see, first year lb7, head gasket issues and injector problems, all lly's headgaskets and overheat, lbz = great, 2007.5 lmm's had issues with programming and cooking torque converters, 2011 lml's have tcm and def issues. Suddenly, my "outdated" truck looks alot more appealing huh???
Whoops. I think I struck a nerve. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm sure your 16 is an awesome truck!

I just wouldn't spend that kinda money on something that had already been replaced with a model with tons of upgrades. But hey, I'm still driving my trusty 05 LLY with original headgaskets so I guess I shouldn't say much about buying new trucks....lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I wouldn't want to buy the first year of any vehicle, I've been bitten too many times. Most recently o n a 2011 Buick Regal Turbo that was a POS.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'd be happy to buy the latest and greatest truck if I was loaded, but I can't stand the depreciation hit you take doing so. After all, that's why they have a warranty.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
I didn't buy it to impress people... It's a work truck...

I've played GM's newly released game before, quadrasteer Denali, was always in the shop. Lets see, first year lb7, head gasket issues and injector problems, all lly's headgaskets and overheat, lbz = great, 2007.5 lmm's had issues with programming and cooking torque converters, 2011 lml's have tcm and def issues. Suddenly, my "outdated" truck looks alot more appealing huh???

I will second that my 11 was the biggest pos in the shop every other week for def related issues. Haven't had the tcm issues yet give it time. The last time was the end when they had to do a manual regen I knew it was plugged. Told them pull it out I'll fix it myself am stufd went an got deleted.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wouldn't want to buy the first year of any vehicle, I've been bitten too many times. Most recently o n a 2011 Buick Regal Turbo that was a POS.

Lol we got a friend that was bit by that bug too. That car was a POS. After that car they got a lower end Mercedes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Whoops. I think I struck a nerve. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm sure your 16 is an awesome truck!

I just wouldn't spend that kinda money on something that had already been replaced with a model with tons of upgrades. But hey, I'm still driving my trusty 05 LLY with original headgaskets so I guess I shouldn't say much about buying new trucks....lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No, not really. I wanted a 17 but sensibility took over. I'll rock my 16 untill I see gm make a few changes I know are coming, I just hope it's in 18. But I doubt it, solely bc the 17 wont be out long before the 18 ordering begins...

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Man oh man! This is the stuff I like to hear and read :woott: Those rods look amazing. I hope the '17 will be the new benchmark. What I don't understand is why not just bump it to 1000lb. ft from the get go? For the average Joe buying a new truck the numbers actually mean something to them. Mostly bragging rights to their friends lol

I can't wait to test drive one of them. Looks like changing the turbo will be a pain in the ass:roflmao:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
910 leaves more room for next year or if that need to leap frog the competition. Jumping straight to 1000 lb ft may not leave much room to for more fairy dust

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
shit I love my 15. hardly anything different in 16. especially now the way I have it. and I sure don't need a 17 with a hood scoop. lol least not for the extra money it would take.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Came across this posted by Banks on facebook.

2017 Dmax L5P Crank Comparison

Duramax Crank Pin Diameters;

LML and earlier, 6.6 L. 2.477
Banks Big Pin, 7.0L 2.600 + .123
2017 L5P, 6.6 L 2.677 + .200

Shown at rear is a current stock Dmax crank.

Shown in the middle is our Banks Big Pin, billet crankshaft. This is a four year old project to create the ultimate Dmax racing crankshaft. We had to create a new bearing size and angle cap rod to pull it off. With maximum bearing speed in mind, we held our increase in crank pin diameter to a nominal 3mm. These are for use in excess of 7,000 rpm. First use will be in our Top Dragster next spring.

The new L5P crankshaft is in the foreground. The team at GM went a nominal 5 mm larger on their design and its con rod is just as massive! We have been on the engine dyno developing the L5P to use in Banks marine and military configurations for about a year now. The 5 mm larger journal is Perfect for its use in GM's Pickup truck market. And, as to marine and military...this thing, the L5P, is bulletproof!

Gale Banks

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1475447521687.jpg
    FB_IMG_1475447521687.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 193

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
has it been confirmed what the part on the back of turbo actually is? dpf or cat? will it still still use d.e.f.?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It's a HP4. The HP3 is a 2 piston pump. I found the denso service documents online already.

3.3 HP3 Type
(1) Construction and Characteristics
• The supply pump is primarily composed of the pump unit (eccentric cam, ring cam, two plungers), the SCV (suction
control valve), the fuel temperature sensor and the feed pump (trochoid type), and is actuated at 1/1 or 1/2 the engine
rotation.
• The two compact pump unit plungers are positioned symmetrically above and below on the outside of the ring cam.
• The fuel discharge quantity is controlled by the SCV, the same as for the HP2, in order to reduce the actuating load
and suppress the rise in fuel temperature. In addition, there are two types of HP3 SCV: the normally open type (the
suction valve opens when not energized) and the normally closed type (the suction valve is closed when not energized).
• With a DPNR system (Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction) system, there is also a flow damper. The purpose of this
flow damper is to automatically shut off the fuel if a leak occurs in the fuel addition valve passage within the DPNR.

HP4 Type
(1) Construction and Characteristics
• The HP4 basic supply pump construction is the same as for the HP3. The composition is also the same as the HP3,
being made up of the pump unit (eccentric cam, ring cam, plunger), the SCV (suction control valve), the fuel temperature
sensor, and the feed pump. The main difference is that there are three plungers.
• Because there are three plungers, they are positioned at intervals of 120? around the outside of the ring cam. In addition,
the fuel delivery capacity is 1.5 times that of the HP3.
• The fuel discharge quantity is controlled by the SCV, the same as for the HP3.

Ahh ha! Oops, my bad...I misread the HP3/HP4 document I was looking at. :eek:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Yeah key upgrades to who? me? hardly.....
I hate anything to do with apple. sure don't need a wireless charging. I have a mophi already. lol
I don't use my navigation I have now....... I use my phone when needed. which is rare.
and the 19 trucks I own for my business, which are gm, Ford, and a few cummins, none need or have steering assist.
nor do my dump trucks, skid steers, excavators ect. I think I'll be ok. lol
like I said I'm happy with my deleted 15. has more power, and costs less then a 16 or 17.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
not poking at anyone. I'm sure the new ones are awesome. will be I'm sure. but to wait, or buy the first year, not my cup of tea.
your an electrical gadget guy, so I understand why you think those little things are an upgrade. to me, I don't see it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The new heads look interesting. I wonder how they flow compared to previous years? It will be fun to see how these do as they get pushed.

I wonder if that article was right and the injectors are back to solenoid style, instead of piezo? If so, I wonder if you could drop the 2017 heads and injectors on a LB7/LLY and run them off the original FICM? Looks like you might get an airflow bonus at the same time.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wonder if that article was right and the injectors are back to solenoid style, instead of piezo? If so, I wonder if you could drop the 2017 heads and injectors on a LB7/LLY and run them off the original FICM? Looks like you might get an airflow bonus at the same time.

That would be pretty cool. Could probably make a bit more power off the injectors being more efficient too. For the stockish guys.

Edit
Well with the changes to the block the heads fitting is probably pretty unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk