2017 Duramax

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Just got the injector removal tool for the L5P. Quite a bit different than the older style..also says bosch on the sheet.

Dmaxmoe

Jun 19, 2016
The rod itself is made of metal alloy that has been "ground" (or otherwise prepared) into a fine powder. This powder is then molded into the shape of the part. The molded part is then heated in an oven to the sintering temperature-not quite to its melting point but high enough to bond the powder into one piece of metal. The part is then forged.
It is somewhat similar to injection molding of plastic-only with metal. Its a common manufacturing method and can yield some high quality parts with consistent properties through the "casting". Generally has a nearer neat shape than traditional casting-meaning that the part requires less post machining.

Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that the powdered metal was quite inferior and had no idea of the new processes and such that could potentially be as strong or stronger then traditional forgings.

I did some reading after my initial post, and it sounds like powdered rods are fairly common in today's engines, although the general consensus seems to be that they are weaker and still aren't being utilized in most performance engine builds. Hopefully these new ones prove to hold decent power when guys start adding the juice.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why would GM allow the new engine to make that much torque if the current Allison isn't going to handle that power? Is there a possibility that the Allison will be updated for 2018 after the possible issues that may happen in stock power with the transmission for the '17 model?

I'm betting on an Allison update for '18. GM is running big time TQ management in first gear on this truck.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Why would GM allow the new engine to make that much torque if the current Allison isn't going to handle that power? Is there a possibility that the Allison will be updated for 2018 after the possible issues that may happen in stock power with the transmission for the '17 model?

more than likely you will only get that torque in certain gears and not all of them. it is all about torque management. all they have to do is allow the engine to peak to 910 ft lbs in one gear and they claim the rating

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that the powdered metal was quite inferior and had no idea of the new processes and such that could potentially be as strong or stronger then traditional forgings.

I did some reading after my initial post, and it sounds like powdered rods are fairly common in today's engines, although the general consensus seems to be that they are weaker and still aren't being utilized in most performance engine builds. Hopefully these new ones prove to hold decent power when guys start adding the juice.

there is a lot more "powdered metal" in everyday items then most will ever know. many gears are made this way. even some knife steel is powdered steel. IE; S30V, CPM 3V, etc. also this is how carbide lathe and milling bits are manufactured.

on top of being able to make intricate parts it can allows manufacturers to make parts with metals that would otherwise be un-forgeable or non-machinable with traditional methods. when done right or with the right metals, it can produce products that have increased toughness compared to their non powdered counterparts. take CPM knife steel for an example.

there is the cheap method and the expensive method. we just don't know what GM used yet. hopefully the latter

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Pretty sure the pump is a Denso HP4...
Appears to be a HP3 pump according to this. Also says they finally went to an electric lift pump instead of relying on the gear driven pump on the CP3/4.

IMG_2350.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
more than likely you will only get that torque in certain gears and not all of them. it is all about torque management. all they have to do is allow the engine to peak to 910 ft lbs in one gear and they claim the rating

GM specifically said it was only torque limited in 1st gear.

Probably a jab at Ram, who does cheat the system and uses extreme torque limiting under a wide range of conditions...I think 2nd gear is the only gear that actually makes "900 ft lbs" on the 2015+ Cummins. The rest of the gears have various amounts of torque limiting.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
So would the HP4 bolt in place of the HP3 Ben?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
It's a HP4. The HP3 is a 2 piston pump. I found the denso service documents online already.

3.3 HP3 Type
(1) Construction and Characteristics
• The supply pump is primarily composed of the pump unit (eccentric cam, ring cam, two plungers), the SCV (suction
control valve), the fuel temperature sensor and the feed pump (trochoid type), and is actuated at 1/1 or 1/2 the engine
rotation.
• The two compact pump unit plungers are positioned symmetrically above and below on the outside of the ring cam.
• The fuel discharge quantity is controlled by the SCV, the same as for the HP2, in order to reduce the actuating load
and suppress the rise in fuel temperature. In addition, there are two types of HP3 SCV: the normally open type (the
suction valve opens when not energized) and the normally closed type (the suction valve is closed when not energized).
• With a DPNR system (Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction) system, there is also a flow damper. The purpose of this
flow damper is to automatically shut off the fuel if a leak occurs in the fuel addition valve passage within the DPNR.

HP4 Type
(1) Construction and Characteristics
• The HP4 basic supply pump construction is the same as for the HP3. The composition is also the same as the HP3,
being made up of the pump unit (eccentric cam, ring cam, plunger), the SCV (suction control valve), the fuel temperature
sensor, and the feed pump. The main difference is that there are three plungers.
• Because there are three plungers, they are positioned at intervals of 120? around the outside of the ring cam. In addition,
the fuel delivery capacity is 1.5 times that of the HP3.
• The fuel discharge quantity is controlled by the SCV, the same as for the HP3.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
GM specifically said it was only torque limited in 1st gear.

Probably a jab at Ram, who does cheat the system and uses extreme torque limiting under a wide range of conditions...I think 2nd gear is the only gear that actually makes "900 ft lbs" on the 2015+ Cummins. The rest of the gears have various amounts of torque limiting.
And only makes that 900 with the aisin trans, the 68rfe is 800 I believe, and g56 manual is 660.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I think those are their G4S line of injectors too, but I'd need a better picture to tell. They're solenoid like the LB7-LMM but fire quicker and return a lot less fuel. Basically the benefits of peizos but cheaper to produce.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, not sure how they denote their classifications but the HP4 is similar in operation to the CP3.

The HP0 is similar in operation to the CP4.2, 2 piston and they can be configured to pump up to 4 times per revolution versus the 2 the CP4.2 does.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

Those ratings do not come to the tire. That's the engine ratings. It doesn't matter the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Saving 10 grand is all fine and good. But paying 50K and suddenly it's outdated would just really upset me.

I know that everyone would ask, "Hey is that one of those new 17s"?.......... And of course it wouldn't be.

So 50K for old and obsolete. Or 60K (maybe) for the newest latest greatest. Or what, maybe $100 a month more. I'll bet most people would gladly pay that a month just to have a stronger crank in there current Truck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I didn't buy it to impress people... It's a work truck...

I've played GM's newly released game before, quadrasteer Denali, was always in the shop. Lets see, first year lb7, head gasket issues and injector problems, all lly's headgaskets and overheat, lbz = great, 2007.5 lmm's had issues with programming and cooking torque converters, 2011 lml's have tcm and def issues. Suddenly, my "outdated" truck looks alot more appealing huh???