2017 Duramax

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I was all excited about throwing a set of rods in a budget build and then the bigger crank had to ruin my dreams. Think anyone will make an adapter bearing?

It's sad that they just now but bigger rods in, kinda looks just like a Cummins rod. Maybe that's GM's supplier now :rofl:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I'm excited for this platform. Hopefully they have made some steps forward so those of us that are into more of the performance can hopefully push this one a little further with less stress of internals giving up

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
kinda looks just like a Cummins rod. Maybe that's GM's supplier now :rofl:

I really dont understand why everyone automatically associates the angled cap as "a cummins rod" trademark thing. Has no one ever seen the insides of other engines? You do realize thousands of other different types of engines use an angled cap? :) ;)

6.0/6.4/6.7 Powerstrokes have angled caps.

The 5hp briggs and stratton on my lawn mower has an angled cap.

The angled cap is because the rod journal is so big now that it wouldnt physically fit through the cylinder bore (during assembling the engine)...so angling the caps is a geometric trick that manufacturers use to make it so you dont have to put the pistons in from the bottom... Its not so much "for strength" like everyone assumes.

Ben

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Nice! Looks like this thing will take some abuse. Hopefully the pistons are up to the task too.

Too bad it will probably take forever to tune.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I really dont understand why everyone automatically associates the angled cap as "a cummins rod" trademark thing. Has no one ever seen the insides of other engines? You do realize thousands of other different types of engines use an angled cap? :) ;)

The angled cap is because the rod journal is so big now that it wouldnt physically fit through the cylinder bore (during assembling the engine)...so angling the caps is a geometric trick that manufacturers use to make it so you dont have to put the pistons in from the bottom... Its not so much "for strength" like everyone assumes.

Ben
But it IS a stronger design.

Your absolutely right though, tons of other engines use this design.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006

Ben

:yup::beer

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The #8 rod would have to be located somewhere along the red line.

Theres plenty of space where the blue plane is to fit an oil pump drive gear. On next to the bottom blue line, theres something hanging down in the oil pan that is NOT a 2001-2016 style oil pickup tube.

i think this may be a better image

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 214

walleyerod

Aug 22, 2014
OK you master gearheads - let us not so informed, amateur gearheads know what you think of these changes in the new engine - are they good for reliability as well as performance, or not? In your opinion, of course. Fuel system, turbo, egr system, etc etc

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
has anyone noticed what looks to be a DPF attached right to the back of the turbo?

maybe it won't need any more regenerations with it there

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

Ben

I'm a diesel tech by trade, you don't need to try and school me on rods.

It was a JOKE genius

Dmaxmoe

Jun 19, 2016
Can someone clarify on the rods. It says "Forged Powdered Metal", another article said "Forged and Sintered with a durable powdered metal alloy". So hopefully this is translating into a forged rod, with some type of powdered metal coating?

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Depending on what the base material is, this new process could yield rods that are stronger than forged 4340:thumb:

We will never know the metallurgy of these rods, obviously GM will not give away all their engineering/process devolopement secrets. Sadly, we will have to find the limits the old fashion way:angel: