1967 RS Duramax Camaro

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
That thing is awesome! I wish I had that much time and patience to do a project like that.:thumb:

Time and patience is an understatement. Still, I did at least 90% of the work on Saturdays over the last 2 years. You might be surprised with how much you can get done with a few dedicated hours spent on something.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Been awhile since I've posted anything. There's been a bit of chatter online about the Camaro lately. I found out about these after they were posted.

PowerblockTV shared the first video of me driving around the parking lot. Of all the people who posted negative comments, all I can say is they displayed different degrees of ignorance and unappreciation for it. It's to be expected I guess, not everybody is aware of modern diesel performance and technology.

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/1967-duramax-diesel-camaro-goes-for-its-first-drive/

Also, StreetlegalTV posted an article on it. Pretty similar to what Diesel Army Magazine wrote.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/chris-alstons-chassisworks-handles-a-diesel-camaro/

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Pretty surprising to see that much ignorance, I guess most people that I know that aren't diesel savvy think my pickup burns a hundred gallons of fuel a week and kill plants and pollutes the earth and all that so maybe I shouldn't be surprised

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
After reading that bs I had to comment on it. That's harsh and the amount of time and work you have in this thing is amazing. Be sure to pick up a fueled by haters sticker for it next time you're on a classic car cruise passing everyone and watching them fill up every station they see.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Pretty surprising to see that much ignorance, I guess most people that I know that aren't diesel savvy think my pickup burns a hundred gallons of fuel a week and kill plants and pollutes the earth and all that so maybe I shouldn't be surprised

After reading that bs I had to comment on it. That's harsh and the amount of time and work you have in this thing is amazing. Be sure to pick up a fueled by haters sticker for it next time you're on a classic car cruise passing everyone and watching them fill up every station they see.

I used to watch the Powerblock, but it's been quite awhile since I have. I've lost quite bit of "respect" (I guess) for it's viewers mostly because of the comments I read, and not just about the Camaro. I briefly sifted through the other posts on their FB page and I gotta admit there are a lot of close minded idiots that feel like it's their responsibility to inform everyone why someone shouldn't have built their vehicle they way they wanted it.

Oh well. It's a good thing I built it for myself and not anybody else. I appreciate all of you guys with positive feedback on the forums even more now that I see what those "not in the know" think of diesel and what it can do.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ah, dont pay those idiots any mind. There are plenty of people here (and elsewhere) who can appreciate your hard work. Your car is one of my favorites.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Ah, dont pay those idiots any mind. There are plenty of people here (and elsewhere) who can appreciate your hard work. Your car is one of my favorites.

Thanks Tom. I won't respond to any of them. It's not worth the time or the effort. A good friend told me once to "Never argue with an idiot, the people watching might not be able to tell the difference between the two of you."

Aside from that, I'm planning on loading a hotter tune on the Camaro tomorrow. I'm anxious to grab some gears and burn some rubber :woott:

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
We'll see what happens. Trying to get ready for Bakersfield and running out of time fast. Wednesday night drags are calling my name though...

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Thank you!

I wasn't able to get to the track tonight, but I loaded a 120hp tune after work this evening instead of the 40hp tune I was running. Goosed it on the way home and almost shat myself. I'm looking forward to the season opener on Saturday, it's going to be interesting to say the least...

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Well the NHRDA season opener at Famoso went well. I was able to make 3 passes with a best pass of 13.004 at 109mph, accidentally starting off in 2nd gear on that pass. Not very fast, but decent baselines for me to improve upon. I learned a lot, thanks especially to Gordon of Smoking Gun Racing for giving me some great tips.

So my next time out, I will drop tire pressure much more, heat the tires up in the burnout box considerably more, attempt to use the trans brake, and run a hotter tune. The Camaro launched nice and straight with no wheel hop, just spun the tires mostly due to them not being heated up and aired down enough.