1967 RS Duramax Camaro

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
13.flat first time out is great! :thumb: Which tune was that on?

X2 on heating the tires up more and also airing them down. What RPM were you leaving at? Car was leaving very smooth.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Great baseline to start with, & plenty of room to grow. Are you running a front sway bar and street type shocks? Need to get that front end to lift ASAP. Like you mentioned, less psi in the rear and warmer rubber helps a bunch. Great start!

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Looking good:thumb:

Friggin awesome!

:thankyou:

13.flat first time out is great! :thumb: Which tune was that on?

X2 on heating the tires up more and also airing them down. What RPM were you leaving at? Car was leaving very smooth.

I was running the 120hp tune on those runs. The tach quit working awhile back and I haven't figured out why so I don't know what rpm I was leaving at. It was a little funky when it was working, so I think it might have just finally sh!t the bed from being so old.

Great baseline to start with, & plenty of room to grow. Are you running a front sway bar and street type shocks? Need to get that front end to lift ASAP. Like you mentioned, less psi in the rear and warmer rubber helps a bunch. Great start!

The front sway bar is currently off and the front shocks are varishock coilovers from chassisworks. They still have quite a bit of adjustment left in them.

It's raining off and on all this week so if the weather clears up next week and I can get off work early I'm going to attempt to go to the Wednesday night drags at Sonoma raceway.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I had my first incident where the Camaro left me stranded (briefly) yesterday. Drove to the fuel station and put a couple gallons of diesel in it after work, and it would not restart on it's own. It cranked over so much that the batteries got a little low, so I had to call a buddy and he brought a jumper pack with him and I got the car started and drove home.

The drivers side fuel rail has been leaking a little bit right from the fprv. Enough to leave a couple drip marks on the pavement after I park it. I've known about it for awhile and bought a used one from a member of this forum. It's supposed to be here on Friday.

I'm assuming I damaged the rail when I attempted to shim the stock fprv (stupid newb idea on my part) before I ever got the motor running last year. It's leaked from basically since I started driving it. I bought a new o ring, still leaked. Bought a new fprv, seemed to fix it for a little while, but it's still leaking.

It's having a hard start issue now. Once I can get it started and let it run for a couple minutes, I shut it off, immediately try to restart it and it won't fire without a lot of cranking and a jumper pack.

I have yet to do a bottle test. My rail pressure gauge needs to be hooked up still. Next time I run it I will hook up my programmer and see if I can read injector return rates and such. If not I'll have to borrow our shops scanner.

I'm going to replace the rail this weekend. I'm really hoping the injectors aren't the issue...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Sounds like the relief is leaking. If it won't make minimum of X psi, it won't start. I can't remember the pressure, 3 or 4K I think. I'm sure someone will chime in.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I was able to get it started yesterday after work and was able to read the balance rates of the injectors. They were all very close to each other and well within spec. So if the new rail shows up today I'll swap it out this weekend and hopefully it fixes the problem.

BowtieClub

Mar 3, 2014
The QC, N.C.
Sweet!

Man this car is sweet!!! Love seeing you build it up from a dented shell of a car into an epic street machine!

P.S.- Hope you get the starting problem ironed out.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Man this car is sweet!!! Love seeing you build it up from a dented shell of a car into an epic street machine!

P.S.- Hope you get the starting problem ironed out.

:thankyou:

The Camaro is alive again. Finished installing the new fuel rail yesterday evening and appears to have solved the hard starting problem. At some point I'm going to remove the fprv from the original rail and see if I can find exactly what the problem was.

I will be unable to work on it much over the next couple weeks, let alone drive it, due to having surgery to repair a hernia this morning, but I did register for the Peggy Sue's Cruise and car show coming up in June which is a great car show in Santa Rosa and has a cruise through town which is a ton of fun, so I'm looking forward to it.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Nice! The rail relief on the lilly's is a weakling... Might have some garbage in it or just needs shimmed.

Was loosing rail pressure on White Out at WOT and noticed it right off since I had a rail pressure gauge. Took a pair of clamping plyers and pinched off the return line, bingo no rail pressure drop. I raced it that way one whole race before we got a new plug. Doesn't take much for one to leak. People were saying due to the high pressure the tube might burst. Very low volume and also still a lot of resistence from the leaking plug. It was not an issue.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Was loosing rail pressure on White Out at WOT and noticed it right off since I had a rail pressure gauge. Took a pair of clamping plyers and pinched off the return line, bingo no rail pressure drop. I raced it that way one whole race before we got a new plug. Doesn't take much for one to leak. People were saying due to the high pressure the tube might burst. Very low volume and also still a lot of resistence from the leaking plug. It was not an issue.

Racers race:D I would have done the same thing...

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
:thumb: good deal!

Yes sir. Thanks for sending that rail out quickly.

Nice! The rail relief on the lilly's is a weakling... Might have some garbage in it or just needs shimmed.

I initially shimmed the stock original LBZ fprv, thinking I was saving myself from having to do it in the future, only to have it leak right after the first drive. When I finally figured out what was leaking I bought a new o ring and installed that, and it still leaked. Thought for sure that I damaged the fprv, so I bought a brand new one and installed it, just for the dang thing to still leak. So now that I installed the new (to me) rail with a stock LBZ fprv, it appears to be fixed.

Interesting. Believe it or not the rail pressure gauge I mounted in the hood is the only one that I haven't finished hooking up yet. It only figures that the one I didn't finish would have been the best diagnostic tool to help me initially figure out what the problem was.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yes sir. Thanks for sending that rail out quickly.

I initially shimmed the stock original LBZ fprv, thinking I was saving myself from having to do it in the future, only to have it leak right after the first drive. When I finally figured out what was leaking I bought a new o ring and installed that, and it still leaked. Thought for sure that I damaged the fprv, so I bought a brand new one and installed it, just for the dang thing to still leak. So now that I installed the new (to me) rail with a stock LBZ fprv, it appears to be fixed.

Interesting. Believe it or not the rail pressure gauge I mounted in the hood is the only one that I haven't finished hooking up yet. It only figures that the one I didn't finish would have been the best diagnostic tool to help me initially figure out what the problem was.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

You should be fine with the LBZ relief, they are higher than the lly's.

Subman's leaking relief is kind of odd, I haven't heard of to many LBZ's having an issue...

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I wasn't aware that low rail pressure on the LBZ's was less common than the LB7's and LLY's until after I shimmed it. Once I read about it I felt like a dumbass for wasting the time and money on the shim kit, so I learned my lesson the hard way :mad:

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I wanted to post up some old pics of the Camaro before it underwent it's current transformation.

Some pics after my Dad painted it in the late 70's to early 80's. It was originally red with the nose stripe, but it was purple when my Aunt and Uncle owned it. My Mom bought the car from them, and my Dad repainted it and put the rally stripes on it. It had the SS hood on then, but the car isn't an RS/SS, just an RS.

It looked pretty damn good.

IMG_1422_zps42ff6510.jpg

IMG_1423_zpsbd97386b.jpg

IMG_1424_zpsd62eea4b.jpg

IMG_1425_zpsdb9d9c69.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Here's some pics of when I was building it in high school. 1st pic is me when I was 17 attempting to pull the old gas tank. The car doesn't look bad in the pics, but after sitting for basically my entire life up until that point, it was hiding a lot.

IMG_1426_zps23dcf98f.jpg

Old original drum breaks. I converted it to disc brakes, no pic of that.

IMG_1427_zps92350bfd.jpg

Pulling the 327. Was a hell of a runner back in the day from what I'm told and had a nasty street racing reputation.

IMG_1428_zps58198f25.jpg

And the motor I replaced it with. I'll let you guys guess what it was... the valve covers pretty much give it away. Ignore the stupid dinky air cleaner. Believe it or not, I don't miss that motor at all.

IMG_1430_zps263031a5.jpg