1967 RS Duramax Camaro

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Some pics from Buns and Burgers yesterday evening.

IMG_1444_zpsd302748c.jpg

IMG_1443_zpsbaf8d328.jpg

IMG_1445_zps92f51d23.jpg

IMG_1446_zps3856c5c5.jpg

IMG_1447_zps577333ac.jpg

IMG_1448_zps87f93465.jpg

Took a pic of the hood gauges on the way home.

IMG_1449_zps1f494aa4.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
How many people ask you what engine is that?:rofl:

All but 1 :rofl: He was wearing a technician shirt from I think a local dealership so he was "in the know" so to speak. Most people thought it was a turbo ls7. Of all the people that were curious enough to talk to me took a few guesses at it and when they couldn't figure it out, so I said it's not a gas motor, and then they thought it ran on propane. I finally told them what it was and most everybody was pretty surprised.

While I was talking to a group of guys about the car another middle aged guy walked by with his 2 sons and pointed at the turbo and said "look at the carburetor..." :umno:

I started it up once for them because they were curious about how it sounded. As some cars left a few of them chirped the tires going through the gears. I took it a step further and burned the tires through 2nd and 3rd gear. I think they got the point.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
All but 1 :rofl: He was wearing a technician shirt from I think a local dealership so he was "in the know" so to speak. Most people thought it was a turbo ls7. Of all the people that were curious enough to talk to me took a few guesses at it and when they couldn't figure it out, so I said it's not a gas motor, and then they thought it ran on propane. I finally told them what it was and most everybody was pretty surprised.

While I was talking to a group of guys about the car another middle aged guy walked by with his 2 sons and pointed at the turbo and said "look at the carburetor..." :umno:

I started it up once for them because they were curious about how it sounded. As some cars left a few of them chirped the tires going through the gears. I took it a step further and burned the tires through 2nd and 3rd gear. I think they got the point.
HAHAHA! That car is hands down one of my favorite Camaro's of all time... And I'm a monster Camaro enthusiast:thumb: Good job bud.

Your build has had me close to selling all my duramax engine stuff and getting started on my 67' rsss...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Why not have best of both worlds! ;-)

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Um, have you read all the broken crank threads, priced out or purchased engine hard parts for a d-max? I will still build my engine, I'm in to deep to get out now but I have really been second guessing the decision...

Or do you mean a d-max in a Camaro?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Yea dmax in a camaro lol I know its expensive I have priced my motor build to about 14,000 that's not including bearings, gaskets and machine work.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yea dmax in a camaro lol I know its expensive I have priced my motor build to about 14,000 that's not including bearings, gaskets and machine work.

No d-max in the camaro for me I want it to handle. 14,000g's would build me a monster LS enigne...

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
You could get it to handle with a Duramax. I have quite a few ideas about what I want to do to my next project, although that will be a very long ways down the road... But, all I can say is if you're willing to do more fabrication to cut out the firewall and trans tunnel to move the motor way back, that would be a great advantage. Yes, any ls powered car would probably still out handle it just because they're so much lighter, but it's really all about what you want the car to do anyways. This build was more oriented to drag racing, so this is how I wanted it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
You could get it to handle with a Duramax. I have quite a few ideas about what I want to do to my next project, although that will be a very long ways down the road... But, all I can say is if you're willing to do more fabrication to cut out the firewall and trans tunnel to move the motor way back, that would be a great advantage. Yes, any ls powered car would probably still out handle it just because they're so much lighter, but it's really all about what you want the car to do anyways. This build was more oriented to drag racing, so this is how I wanted it.

I couldn't agree more. My Camaro will be a twisty car, an ls engine will be much better suited for that. I don't want to hack the body of a RSSS up, even if the original running gear is gone....

Have you been able to work on the launch any?

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
a dmax and BBC iron head are bout the same weight... you can make a BBC car handle the twisties.. the shear amount of tq would definitely help

I keep hearing this but after having both on an engine stand I'm not sure I agree. Dmax definitely seemed to make the stand groan more. Start adding another turbos, pumps, etc and those numbers skew pretty quickly.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Just throw an aluminum block in your Dmax and boom isn't weight savings. Just imagine how light your car will be without all of that money in your wallet:)

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I couldn't agree more. My Camaro will be a twisty car, an ls engine will be much better suited for that. I don't want to hack the body of a RSSS up, even if the original running gear is gone....

Have you been able to work on the launch any?

Haven't worked on the launch at all. Almost all of the roads around where I live are so riddled with pot holes and bumps that I don't feel comfortable trying to practice. I'm going to have to do it at the track.