Which Shackles?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
The Rancho 9000's set on 9 suck on the front end, at least I don't like them. The rebound is too loose at on the long freeway off ramps marked 45mph when you want to do 75mph. Truck still will handle those speeds with a front and rear swaybars and from what I have found the QA-1's will take of loose rebound with a compression and rebound valve...

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
damn sounds like I need to rethink my strategy then because I was going to go with 9000xls..I won't be able to go much lower in the front than stock because of my wheels, would that help me on the ride quality? I don't think I'll be near the joust

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
damn sounds like I need to rethink my strategy then because I was going to go with 9000xls..I won't be able to go much lower in the front than stock because of my wheels, would that help me on the ride quality? I don't think I'll be near the joust

stock has the yellow bumpstop just touching the LCA at ride height. take it out, put the 9000s on and turn the knob up till you like the ride.

you guys will never get rid of the quick "bounce" you get from the front end over large bumps without different t-bars or coilovers. Half the time i wonder if people are thinking what their issue is, is even correct cause unless you have tuned suspension ALOT, its VERY difficult to know where you have too much rebound or not enough, too much compression or not enough and too much spring or not enough just from driving it.

Chris, are you on stock amount of leaves? are your shocks adjustable? put a zip tie around the shock shaft near the body of the shock and drive over the area you think it bottoms out at, if the zip tie is at the very end of the shaft, its bottoming out. if there is shock shaft left, its bad valving giving you the feeling.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010

Read Post #40, I've seen this thread a little but stop following it..my truck is lower than the lift will allow and is a hair too much because it's on the jousts and does seem to ride "bouncier" and rougher than it did when it was lifted a hair where it was supposed to be..I'm 1" lower in the front with 2" rear blocks..I'm fine with stock height for the front as I will he pushing it to even turn with 20x10s, but I'm wanting to get the rear down to Mach the front at stock height. So maybe 3" shackles with overload still in is my answer..?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Not sure what you guys are experiencing bit the 9000's were night and day difference they are very smooth and have just the right amount of compression and rebound for what I like and my jounce bumpers are completely smashed.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Read Post #40, I've seen this thread a little but stop following it..my truck is lower than the lift will allow and is a hair too much because it's on the jousts and does seem to ride "bouncier" and rougher than it did when it was lifted a hair where it was supposed to be..I'm 1" lower in the front with 2" rear blocks..I'm fine with stock height for the front as I will he pushing it to even turn with 20x10s, but I'm wanting to get the rear down to Mach the front at stock height. So maybe 3" shackles with overload still in is my answer..?

I PMed one of the guys in that thread, he explained what was going on with the front end of the truck and what I could do to help it, so I'll leave the torsion bars and add QA1 or equivalent Viking shocks and lower the rear 3 inches and leave the Rancho's in the rear. Life has a way with unexpected surprises and that'll be enough for me on this truck for the suspension, who knows maybe not ....

Edit: My truck has a constant load of about 1000lbs in the bed and that affects/effects how mine handles/drives...try throwing about 3-4 sandbags near the tailgate and see how it drives, you will be surprised...

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
So my 2001 ex cab is uneven. The back is passenger side is about 1-2 inches higher. I know I can adjust some of that out with the front tbars(cause they're no longer level either) but has anybody used the belltech ajustable shackles and had each side on a different hole? I don't see what problem it would cause, but though I would ask.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
So my 2001 ex cab is uneven. The back is passenger side is about 1-2 inches higher. I know I can adjust some of that out with the front tbars(cause they're no longer level either) but has anybody used the belltech ajustable shackles and had each side on a different hole? I don't see what problem it would cause, but though I would ask.

Every duramax I've had has been uneven, think about it, front diff, tcase, and fuel tank are all on one side.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
I run a set of 1.5" spacers that I milled down to 1.25". They are perfectly even now.

was that just the cheap eBay alum ones? That's all I've ran in my trucks and they work fine. I didn't know how much material could be taken off or which side to take it off from because the studs are receded pretty good so if you take that material off then it would be pretty thin where the stud goes through