What it takes to win WorkStock

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
There is supposed to be a WS pulling truck this year with 600 Hp. Now if thats the case I don't think this Class will be very competitive atall now. I would guess most trucks pulling in this class would be around 500 Hp. This class only allows 1 cp3 and a STOCK TURBO

So whats it gonna take to win this class?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I am no expert puller , but have seen first hand that the truck with the most hp does not always pull the farthest . here is a video of a 2.6 class 7.3 ford that took first place in points here locally against alot of higher power trucks than his , it is Matt Moons little brother Bill Moon , setup is more important than raw HP , but if he can nail both .....................................

Kind of a poor track for a video because it was a "short" track and loose but you get the idea

[YOUTUBE]g9zH8S_KJBk[/YOUTUBE]

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
bending a rule somehow to get that kind of performance. :D

Seriously though, I wouldn't get too caught up on the power other trucks may or may not be making. A duramax (any year) can most likely be equally competitive in the WS class. Wait and see how it pulls compared to other trucks to see if it's making that kind of power or making use of that power if it has it.

C-ya

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Depends where you pull. Some places a PPE Hot +2, exhaust, and a strapped centerlink will let you whoop the competition, in other areas it takes a Beefed CP3, injectors, modified "stock" turbo", exhaust, intake, suspension, tires, tranny, steering upgrades, locker(s), etc. just to have a chance.

Where are you pulling and what usually runs/wins?

Edit: Nomatter what, concentrate on getting all the power to the ground before you go looking for more power.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
modified "stock" turbo"

Thats not gonna work this year I don't think. Last year there was talk of taking apart all the turbos and specing them from the inside. and Putting some type if seal in it, if you have a broken seal later on you will likely be protested or un able to pull for points.

I think they might do that this year actually

Last edited:

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
what happens if you blow apart the turbo with the seal, will they just reinspect it and give you a new seal for the new turbo?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
that's just how the competition is around here... almost have to have that level of tech even for the WS class because the pullers take it so serious, even the WS class can get out of hand if you don't keep a firm grip on the reigns. Cheetah type chargers no doubt were being ran and we've all seen some of the numbers they are capable of with the bigger wheels in them and even on a single CP3. They make enough to severely shorten the life of a DMax rod or piston (depending on gen. of dmax). It was not a 500-550rwhp class like it should be. Now they're taking measure to try and be sure it is what it's supposed to be.

I think they've sorta forgone the whole tagging of chargers though. I didn't see that in the rules that were officially posted since this thread was started.

C-ya

jeramoosh

Sep 17, 2006
Harrisonville, PA.
When i pulled workstock with nadm last year they told me during tech that they alowed aftermarket turbos as long as it wasnt over 2.54 inducer. And as long as they couldnt tell there was a bigger wheel behind the inducer bore. So that would open the door for the BD supermax and some other custom built S300's. And from what ive heard about some of these custom built chargers with these new all the hype wheels they have out, i could see some upper 500 to 600 hp trucks that could be within the rules of the class. Now this concerns nadm, not sure what organization your pulling with.

trailerpro

Aug 6, 2006
Salem, Ohio
When i pulled workstock with nadm last year they told me during tech that they alowed aftermarket turbos as long as it wasnt over 2.54 inducer. And as long as they couldnt tell there was a bigger wheel behind the inducer bore. So that would open the door for the BD supermax and some other custom built S300's. And from what ive heard about some of these custom built chargers with these new all the hype wheels they have out, i could see some upper 500 to 600 hp trucks that could be within the rules of the class. Now this concerns nadm, not sure what organization your pulling with.

Turbocharger: The turbocharger is limited to a stock-appearing, OEM/Factory make-specific
charger only. Turbochargers from different years in the same make may be interchanged. 6.4 liter
Powerstroke engines may utilize the factory twin-turbo configuration.

That's NADM's workstock rule. No way a S300 makes those rules. I think what they meant to tell you was a Cheetah turbo was legal as long as it was 2.54 inducer.

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
I don't know about your alls location, but around here 2.6ws is the class almost everyone pulls, i know some people who actually do better in the 2.8 class with a 2.6 set up just because their is less competition, and as for the points championship around here, consistancy is key, go to every pull, you don't necissarily have to win them all to win the points

jeramoosh

Sep 17, 2006
Harrisonville, PA.
Ive read the rule in the book, and the tech told me as i posted. Now the guy there may be completely different from other techs that you could run into at different events. And they did let a CR Cummins with a Industrial Injection Silver 62 pull and the 1st place 6.0 Ford had a custom charger from Carson Stauffers diesel service, dont know the specs on it though. Maybe it wont be like that next time, and he was full of shit.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
Ive read the rule in the book, and the tech told me as i posted. Now the guy there may be completely different from other techs that you could run into at different events. And they did let a CR Cummins with a Industrial Injection Silver 62 pull and the 1st place 6.0 Ford had a custom charger from Carson Stauffers diesel service, dont know the specs on it though. Maybe it wont be like that next time, and he was full of shit.

Where abouts is this pull at. Would like to try some different ones this year.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I was originally referring to a truck that will be pulling BOB if thats what you are asking?
Mitch pointed out taht the tagged chargers weren't in the rules (lastly updated) so I would say that they probably wont do it. Next year ya never know...

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Yeah this year in BOB you have to run the factory turbo now there is a white gmc dmax that made 548 horsepower with the stock turbo stock motor built trans and watermeth he pulls very good he is always in the top 3 at every pull I have ever been too but in BOB the goal is to beat the black ton mega cab dodge he very tough but of corse this year no watermeth and use stock turbo so its gonna be a different ballgame I think dmaxs is gonna be strong this year in this event Im gonna give it a try at Lafayette Tn when BOB is having a pull there the next weekend after TS,

So im gonna try a built trans,60% over injectors,hot EFI Live tune,and a elocker and just see how I do.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Who? Scott Willohby? Ohh and forsure the duramaxs will dominate if they allow hanging weights.. Said they are gonna allow them because the new fords are so heavy, that was the only thing keeping the dodges competitive