LB7: Weakening Brakes, new hydroboost or ???

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Guys,

my lb7 has 80k on the clock and Ive been driving it more lately and getting a softer pedal. So i am thinking its the hydroboost weakening.

Whats the protocol for this? Is a new hydroboost or rebuild the only option? Not sure a flush would help anything...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if you hit the pedal quickly like in a panic situation, does the pedal feel like it kicks back at your for a spilt sec then start falling?

have you noticed a drop in the ability to turn the steering wheel easily?

02Dmaxdually

May 16, 2011
Havelock, NC
^^^X2 I had this happen a couple of months ago and it ended up being the high pressure hose on the power steering pump. (steering wheel still worked as it should) replaced both lines and everything has been fine since, and the pedal is back to normal.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
-Chevy1925
If I stomped yes it would press back alittle, but I thought that was the ABS working. Maybe not?? Steering is noticably weaker even for 37's, if I ever had to turn at a stop it would not turn without muscling the wheel.

-02Dmaxdually
Hmm, I never thought about the hoses, it is 12 years old now. Ill take a look. Did you have physical bulging or something going on

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Its not pressing to the floor, it just feels weak and definitely alittle longer throw before getting the stopping power.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the kick back is an indication of the hydroboost starting to go.

IMHO, id replace it, flush the brake fluid and flush the powersteering fluid. if you have not noticed the steering getting progressivly weak SINCE you put the 37s on, it leads me to think the powersteering pump is "ok".

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Thanks, is this common at a low mileage? The other 6 duramax trucks in my family do not have this issue.

Age may play a role, mine is the oldest.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks, is this common at a low mileage? The other 6 duramax trucks in my family do not have this issue.

Age may play a role, mine is the oldest.

well its kinda like how one of my wheel bearings when 165k before it finally died while the other only lasted 90k. not everything last forever nor created equal so some parts fail sooner than others and others later. i drove on my bad hydroboost for 2-3 years with it kicking back like that till it finally started spitting powersteering fluid out out the bottom of it. i also flushed the brake lines and both of those made a HUGE difference in stopping power

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Cool, thanks James, sounds like what I need to do. Its hard enough stopping with good brakes and 37's.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
What about very sensitive steering and soft brakes? Not my truck but a suburban I know they other ones I've drove don't feel the same. Don't mean to hijack figured it was close enough on topic for a quick question

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
What about very sensitive steering and soft brakes? Not my truck but a suburban I know they other ones I've drove don't feel the same. Don't mean to hijack figured it was close enough on topic for a quick question

If it is the hydro boost style like on the dmax I would assume its the same type of issue.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Last question,

what year hydro boost do i buy? Looks like there are differences between body styles so I have to get an 01?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

could be bad brake fuild, air in the lines, hydrboost (if it has it), or master cylinder. soft brakes is a very vage description

Last question,

what year hydro boost do i buy? Looks like there are differences between body styles so I have to get an 01?

buy what ever comes up for your 2001 chevy 2500hd with the diesel in her

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ive got the seals for my hydroboost in the garage, just have to find the time to rebuild it. I'm not looking forward to it.

Catalinajack

Jun 27, 2013
I am experiencing this problem also. What is a hydroboost, where is it located, and what does it look like?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
what I want to know is if a 2011+ HD hydroboost unit would work, and if its any better than the 2001-2010 unit.