LB7: Weakening Brakes, new hydroboost or ???

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Hmmm . . . that's a good question.

I'm looking to rebuild/replace mine - probably sometime this fall.
An easy upgrade would be nice.

Ok heres what I have come up with.

2001-2011 HD brake pedals are the same. So I would guess that the pedal ratio hasnt changed.

2012+ brake pedals are different, but only because GM switched to a fancy 0-5v variable brake pedal position sensor...not just a simple "on/off" brake pedal switch like the 2011 and older trucks. So the 2012+ pedals are different only in how the brake pedal switch mounts.

There are four different boosters:

2007 and older, AC Delco 178-0683, or GM 15854059.... $290
2008-2010, AC Delco 178-0854, or GM 20940395.... $150
2011, AC Delco 178-0853, or GM 20940394....$180
2012+, AC Delco 178-0867, or GM 22745516.....$187

What the differences are, I have no idea.

2008-2010 bracket....GM 15713209 $6. Yes, 6 dollars
2001-2005 bracket.....GM 15188778.....$40
2011 bracket.....GM 25863990 $33
2012+ bracket..... GM 22786965 $32

No idea on the differences of those either.

2011+ LML power steering pump...20953568 $110
2011+ LML power steering pump bracket....12644783 $93
2011+ LML power steering pulley.....12616121 $11

I dont know if the LML pump will fit on a 2001-2010 accessory bracket or not. The bolt pattern on the LML pump looks the same as the old saginaw P-pumps but who knows. Amazon sells the LML pumps and their return policy is no questions asked, so maybe Ill buy one just for grins and see if it fits.

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Well I just bought a low-mile 2011 LML hydroboost unit for $85. When I get a chance to swap it out Ill report back.

Ben

kking

~only stock for now~
Mar 20, 2013
Il
I had plenty of problens like this with my 2000 and my 01 abs always acted up pedal would kick back at me and feel like a weird vibration at the pedal, almost got into a wreck a few times over this. Thought about just pulling the fuse for the abs.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I had plenty of problens like this with my 2000 and my 01 abs always acted up pedal would kick back at me and feel like a weird vibration at the pedal, almost got into a wreck a few times over this. Thought about just pulling the fuse for the abs.

Fix your front wheel speed sensors...

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Well I just bought a low-mile 2011 LML hydroboost unit for $85. When I get a chance to swap it out Ill report back.

Ben

Hey Ben if you're going to change yours would you mind doing a write up? Seems straight forward but would help with some pics. I'd appreciate it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Well I got my LML booster today. However the boob that pulled it off the truck didnt remove the booster by unbolting the nuts on the other side of the firewall. He removed the bolts that hold the hydroboost unit together and only sent me half of it. Seriously? Has this junkyard never seen a [complete] hydroboost unit before? :rolleyes:

So the booster I have here is missing the brake pedal rod, firewall mounting plate, piston, and rubber boot. :mad:

I sent him an email asking for the other half, but in the mean time this project is going to be delayed a little longer. If any of the seals are screwed up from the hack parts puller disassembling it im going to be frustrated because I dont know if rebuild kits are available for the LML boosters yet.

I got this for $100 shipped, about $50 cheaper than all the other used LML boosters I found. In hindsight I should have just spent the extra $50 and bought one that hasnt been messed around with....and is still in one piece.

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well I got my LML booster today. However the boob that pulled it off the truck didnt remove the booster by unbolting the nuts on the other side of the firewall. He removed the bolts that hold the hydroboost unit together and only sent me half of it. Seriously? Has this junkyard never seen a [complete] hydroboost unit before? :rolleyes:

So the booster I have here is missing the brake pedal rod, firewall mounting plate, piston, and rubber boot. :mad:

I sent him an email asking for the other half, but in the mean time this project is going to be delayed a little longer. If any of the seals are screwed up from the hack parts puller disassembling it im going to be frustrated because I dont know if rebuild kits are available for the LML boosters yet.

I got this for $100 shipped, about $50 cheaper than all the other used LML boosters I found. In hindsight I should have just spent the extra $50 and bought one that hasnt been messed around with....and is still in one piece.

you got lucky, when i adapted hydroboost to my rockcrawler project they sent me the booster with all of that stuff you mentioned cut off with a torch... even the brake lines on the master cylinder that was attacked were torched off...serilus wrecking yard guys are tards

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
My brakes are softer and it steers harder then it used to. And just recently a power steering hose broke so i replaced it and flushed the system. Brakes just a little better but thats all i noticed.. Now the steering pump sounds like its going out :mad: So is my hydroboost going bad or what?

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Changed the hydroboost...twice, replaced the pump and reservoir, flushed system, changed power steering lines, flushed again, preplaced brake pads and calipers and bled the sh$* out of the brakes lines. Peddle is mostly there. Think I had the ABS module bled off electronically once too. Brakes work, I stop and can stop quickly, but not as good as new.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Changed the hydroboost...twice, replaced the pump and reservoir, flushed system, changed power steering lines, flushed again, preplaced brake pads and calipers and bled the sh$* out of the brakes lines. Peddle is mostly there. Think I had the ABS module bled off electronically once too. Brakes work, I stop and can stop quickly, but not as good as new.

When you unbolted the master cylinder from the hydroboost, what did you do with the master cylinder? Let it sit there and suspend by the brake lines or did you tie it up somehow?

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Don't remember exactly. If I do recall, there are hard lines coming out of it, so I probably let it sit on those. If it need to be supported, I probably would have done something. Why?

Just wasn't sure if I should let the master cylinder sit on the hard lines or not. Thought the weight might bend or kink the lines.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Used the Snap on Solos Ultra to bleed my brakes with the abs unit (man is that a great way to bleed the brakes)brakes are nice and hard now.:thumb: