Tuning for throttle response and turbo spool-up

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How do you do it? I constantly see people talking about how their truck will light up the tires on command, but my truck at 600 hp won't do it. What am I missing here? Even stock turbo trucks are making these claims. What do you do to get your turbo to spool so quickly that you can light up your tires from a dead stop without boosting it? Anyone care to share and teach me something new?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
What tune are you running JOsh? a modified mcrat race or what?

With my McRat Race if I punched it from a dead stop I would spin welll into 3rd gear. On the highway at 70mph in the rain I could get sideways.

Damn.... I miss that feeling :mad:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
My own, but it hasn't done it with any tuning I've ever run. Including McRat's.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Maybe close vains 80-90%? Just a thought.

He's got twins and a 58 converter. It should scare you from 40 mph roll and boil 'em from a dead stop.

If the trans is fresh and you got fuel available its the tune and could be a number of things, call Pat send him the tune and let him look it over for ya.

Good luck Josh.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
more fuel pressure down low will make your throttle response faster as well as highed desired tq values at lower rpms and desired fuel (mm3). if you are having trouble spooling to turbo(s) add a little pulse at the desired range and drop the timing a touch. also do some trans tuning to get out of first as fast as possible and lockup a little earlier in second to really break the tires loose when you mash the go pedal.

jmho

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Josh mine from a dead stop and no boost will roll about maybe 10 feet than blows the tires off. I usually don't like letting it keep shifting but have once before and let out after the speedo hit 75 mph. From about 30-35 mph I can break the 285 loose just by mashing it. I know with my turbo blanket and the driver side medium duty manifold and up pipe it spools quicker when I don't boost it from the git go. If you'd like we can trade setups:D:hug:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
He's got twins and a 58 converter. It should scare you from 40 mph roll and boil 'em from a dead stop.

If the trans is fresh and you got fuel available its the tune and could be a number of things, call Pat send him the tune and let him look it over for ya.

Good luck Josh.

I did not know that, my bad.

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
The same thing happens with me. It takes about 3 seconds. It seems like even with the turbo no spooled the engine should still go as long as it isnt overfueled.

It seems like the stock tuning could take a lot more advantage from using the turbo vanes better. I have never seen a difference from timing no matter if im tuning a gas or a diesel. Maybe we can find out more about the LLY hesitation.

If you go WOT from idle my truck will barely move untill 3 seconds later when the turbo starts to spool.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok, let me make something clear. I have stripped my truck and run 265s on PYOs and can light my tires up from a dead stop with no boost. There was even one instance a while back when I was behind a guy going 45 in a 65, and when I got on it to pass him, I left two black marks across the center line as I crossed it to go around him. The thing is, when I am at full weight with the 285s on H2s it doesn't react the same way. I'm not sure if I'm overfueling it down low or what. It would always blow a lot of smoke when I floor it from a stop, and then it would just take off. Maybe I'll just have to play with it when I have it running again.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
try pulling a little fuel out. a lot of people say just add timing and fuel but i disagree. if you are adding timing and fueling that you cant use say because of greater weight and rolling mass, you are shooting right past that portion of the tune in the map. So in essence its worthless to have that much fuel and timing. By pulling timing out you will build boost quicker. Its been discussed at length. Overfueling will bog it down and pretty much equates to a big fat loss because you are losing fuel pressure and missing the powerband with your injection timing and pulse. Does that make any sense?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I have had good luck with pulling alot of timing out down low. I actually add fuel down low to help build egts and spool quicker but this is for a bigger single charger

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks guys. I'll keep all this info in mind when I get the truck together and am able to start tuning on it again.