Tuning for throttle response and turbo spool-up

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
tune and drive and tune and drive and so on. i have spent alot of days just tuning and driving to see how the truck reacts to things. my truck will lite em up through 2nd and squeal a little when it grabs third and that is with 35's. i havent had enough experience tuning lbz's so i cant really give you any other advice other than tune and drive and tune and drive.:)

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Thanks guys. I'll keep all this info in mind when I get the truck together and am able to start tuning on it again.

Was this just before you decided to do the motor again? If it was, my vote would be for short rod syndrome. Less compression, less power especially if you were able to do it before. If it wasn't being pulled due to the rods than sorry for misspeaking.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Was this just before you decided to do the motor again? If it was, my vote would be for short rod syndrome. Less compression, less power especially if you were able to do it before. If it wasn't being pulled due to the rods than sorry for misspeaking.

what does this have to do with tuning? said rods have gone out of blocks which is actually the other way if you are going to vote. A rod goes through most stress right after TDC when it starts traveling downward again.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I remember when I used to street race (illegal and very dangerous)...I would set up my '55 Chevy to spin the tires every time I raced for money...

Nevermind, I just remembered that I used to tune it to get the best traction available because spinning tires = big loser...

Am I missing something:dontknow:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I remember when I used to street race (illegal and very dangerous)...I would set up my '55 Chevy to spin the tires every time I raced for money...

Nevermind, I just remembered that I used to tune it to get the best traction available because spinning tires = big loser...

Am I missing something:dontknow:
No, I race in 4wd. I drive around on the street in 2wd. I don't want my tires to spin in 4wd, but it would be nice to have the throttle response to spin my tires from a non boosted 2wd launch. I see others making claims of such things, and I was curious what they were doing to achieve that.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
No, I race in 4wd. I drive around on the street in 2wd. I don't want my tires to spin in 4wd, but it would be nice to have the throttle response to spin my tires from a non boosted 2wd launch. I see others making claims of such things, and I was curious what they were doing to achieve that.

Wendy does it. Not sure why some trucks do and some don't :dontknow:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Its because burnouts are cool guys. Josh are you running 315/70/17s? whats your email address ill send you some shtuff. my truck non t/h 2wd blows them off.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Josh, If I mash it from a dead stop it'll roll a little and lite em up for 2 gears.
On the roll, the only way I can do it is in manual mode. And you have to do a "rolling brake torque".
I know this is stupid but have all of your torque limiting tables have been taken care of, correct?
I like traction alot, but I totally understand why you would want it do this. :D

Last edited: