The Wounded Warrior

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
That sucks, but now you get a new project and at least its not your Daily driver right?

Dipper already has my '07 LBZ for a transmission, and that is the new race truck..........regular cab LBZ.........;)

Sorry to hear this Tony ,But it was a good test mule:D

I will most likely yank the whole motor at some point, for now the truck will be driven as is, I will monitor coolant loss and get an oil/coolant analysis done after I change the oil this week. I will look at my options, if I yank the motor and heads and find shortened rods then I will make a decision on what to do, I am not naive enough to think the rods are the same length.........:rofl:

Sorry to hear Tony,When you come to Georges just drop your truck off with a list of what you want done.It can be like a 2 stop run thru one for a trans build and one for a motor build.

Thanks,

Looks like the LBZ will be the new test rig, I'll be pulling the SD centerlink out of the '02 and swapping it into the '07. She is retired from racing.......I said that last year too.......:eek:

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
Tony when I blew my head gaskets they would only pressurize the cooling system above 30psi of boost. Maybe that is what is happening with yours.

As for lasting 7 years, I think that just goes to show how well proper tuning prolongs engine life.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks,

Looks like the LBZ will be the new test rig, I'll be pulling the SD centerlink out of the '02 and swapping it into the '07. She is retired from racing.......I said that last year too.......:eek:

LOL my LBZ might be a race truck one of these days,If I could figure out how to atleast setup pids or the dash :eek:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
well she lasted a long time. were you still running a stock turbo?

Yes, other than a stock, unmodified LBZ/pump-regulator and a Big Head she was 100% stock.

Tony when I blew my head gaskets they would only pressurize the cooling system above 30psi of boost. Maybe that is what is happening with yours.

As for lasting 7 years, I think that just goes to show how well proper tuning prolongs engine life.

It was the N20 that did it, on tuning only I don't think the head gaskets would have been an issue, my motor was on borrowed time, I lost count a long time ago how many dyno pulls, WOT launches and 1/4 mile passes it made.

Funny thing is that I drove it 80 miles home from the track and drove it today another 60 miles and she is running fine, I didn't even turn it down for power ???

noooo!!!! Well they cant last forever, ask me how that goes.... :(

Tony I will give you a call today

ben

I will be around.

;)

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa

Thats the truth right there. At your power level with N20 bad tunning would have eaten it up along time ago. 7 years of testing and racing is a long time without any issues!

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
well it happened,

at lebanon today i entered the nhdhra event with the rest of the new england crew, the first shakedown pass in time trials was a dismal 12.92 at 103.78 mph with a weaker 1.85 60/ft time #2 only. Track prep could have been better but oh well.

The next pass i was hoping for a 11.9x on the n20 and instead settled for a 12.09 at 112+ mph, still a bit slower due to another 1.804 60/ft time.

And then it happened, while sitting in the staging lanes another racer notices some coolant under the truck, i pressurized the system and had to bail on the rest of the racing.................:(

so i let it sit, evacuated the pressure after about an hour or so, and drove her home without any issues.

Ect stayed at 180-200 degrees and tranny temp was 120, no noticebale noises or additional coolant pressure building.

She will need some help i think..........:hug:

Spoke with guy at socal from the track, we will be discussing options.

She has been run for almost 7 years and the last 5 raced and been the test truck for all of my tuning, she owes me nothing.

;)
do you think an injector cup would cause this?

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
do you think an injector cup would cause this?

I don't know what it is, the truck still has the original injectors, I think it has been hurt since last year as I did have to fill a little anti-freeze in the overflow every few weeks since last fall, at one pint it seemed to slow down, but I do not drive the truck much so it didn't really seem like a lot of coolant loss.

I did not notice any power loss, it ran almost the same ET/MPH as it did last year.

At some point I'll find out, but right now I am getting my LBZ ready for race season.

:cool:

Last edited:

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
Tony do you mind if I put up a video of your run??? I finally got the whole video thing figured out
Craig

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
So whats in the works for the LBZ? Stock motor ? Turbo?

Big Dipper is doing the transmission right now, then I will do the standard mods, lift pumps, exhaust, intake, gauges, fuel pickup, shim the valve if necessary.

My goal is low 12's or high 11's without any other mods.

:cool:

I believe low 12's are there, an 11.99 might need some weight reduction.

;)

Last edited:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Sweet! your build will be one a lot of us guys will like to hear about.

I 'm going as far as i want to now, want to keep motor/turbo stock/ single Cp3 :)