Tapping oil pan turbo drain

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I am debating where is the best place to tap the pan at. Either by the starter like i have done before or up front under the balancer.

When I tapped a buddies truck by the starter, it seems like the oil lever is higher than that and concerns me with drainage issues especially with my ball bearing atmo charger. My concern with tapping g the front of the pan is I am not sure how thick the pan is and do not want to screw it up...

I will be tapping a 1/2npt port so it is pretty big. I see many opportunities to mess it up:D

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Front of the pan is the way to go in my opinion. Pan is the same thickness and when done in the right spot is above the oil level. I just text you a picture of where to put it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Tapping near the starter makes it kinda hard to remove starter when pulling trans. We have to be very carefull.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I would love to share some picts but once again a machine shop delay so next fri.I had a prob with a drain near starter with oil level being higher than fitting.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Cool. Look forward to them. Think your idea would still work even if the front of the pan was cut back 2" for clearance?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
EDIT: After looking at IronGeek's swap thread, this would work. :)

Last edited:

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
When drilling the front of the oil pan, are you dropping the pan or drilling while in the truck?
When I got my short block I already had 1 port so I just added another but this was with the pan off,i suppose it could be done on the truck but if the hole is above the oil line there is a risk of shavings falling in.I would over fill the oil above the selected drill spot to help push the shavings out while drilling then flush.I have no first hand experience with doing it this way so only a suggestion.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thanks for the pics. I was looking at my old engine yesterday pondering the same question.
Like Mike L said installing by the starter is a PIA sometimes. Ran into this issue in the past on a buddies truck.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Mine is by the starter now, we will be welding bugs and running the drain to the front of the pan this time. Mine will be done with the pan off the engine.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
So what will I need to move my oil line to the front of the pan? Longer braided stainless line, same size or larger, same size hole (3/8" NPT)?
Can I reuse the fittings I currently have (I'm getting ready to install a kit)?

Corey