Tapping oil pan turbo drain

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Didn't Trent neel? do the valve cover. Due to need better drainage

Trent's early kits were in the Valve cover... We put Reece's there and had issues with the turbo pushing oil. Moved it to the upper pan by the starter and haven't had an issue since. Unless the drain line is perfect I think the oil backs up to much in the valve cover area, better to go in the pan somewhere.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've never seen a twin setup in person, but can the atmo turbo be mounted high enough to tap in low on the filler neck tube? The thought of a chip getting into the engine really scare the heck outta me.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've never seen a twin setup in person, but can the atmo turbo be mounted high enough to tap in low on the filler neck tube? The thought of a chip getting into the engine really scare the heck outta me.

Sure if you leave the hood off:D. I tapped my lower pan by the starter years ago, overfilled the oil a couple quarts and drilled. The aluminum just floats to the top and out with the excess oil, same for tapping.

You could pull the sump section off in the truck and flush it that way as well. I personally didn't see a need...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I want to be like those mustangs and corvettes with the whole front grille carved out for a bigass 120mm turbo.

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
We recently changed all of the HSP kits to now drain to the front of the pan. Simpler and cleaner IMO. Evan influenced the decision. :thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So to follow up tap and thread for a 1/2" NPT fitting should be good then?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Yup. Tapped mine with no issue.

Just make sure you tap low enough to screw in your fitting so it doesn't hit the blancer. I made that mistake and tapped it just barely to high so I had to use an extension piece of pipe to bring the fitting out past the balancer.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
garage_attachment.php

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
sorry for the hijack.10 an are the fittings I used and had drain issues with the 1/2" line with my twins.blowing oil out the turbo seals and smoked like a train.1/2npt is perfect.

Last edited: