Question: Swapping Fan Clutchs

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
4aa0a898c0d1a07bcc5b70110f55e763.jpg

I don't have a stock bumper but this is where I put it. Everyone thinks it's the damn inter cooler. Always makes me laugh

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's a setrab that killerbee sells. Brian had it on his old gmc, I bought it from him before he sold it. It's a hell of a cooler and works awesome

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
It's a setrab that killerbee sells. Brian had it on his old gmc, I bought it from him before he sold it. It's a hell of a cooler and works awesome

Remember what model it is.
I'm planing on swapping a pair of 640 series coolers in replace of the two B&M ultra 29k coolers ...it would basicle double my btu capacity..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sharp looking rig James,

But I must ask.....

How in the world do you not have tow mirrors on that sexy rig!?!

i hate tow mirrors. they really bug me when you use them. plus mine never came factory with them. just personal preference.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Remember what model it is.
I'm planing on swapping a pair of 640 series coolers in replace of the two B&M ultra 29k coolers ...it would basicle double my btu capacity..

i have no idea. ill look around on it for a part number

Let me know how it works around here. If good I'll order one up.

I was at amazon all damn day wish I could have just picked one up haha

for sure, headed up north next weekend and ill have the new fan clutch on by then

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i have no idea. ill look around on it for a part number

Outside dimensions would work.. Incan figure out which one it is off setrab website.
Sitting here in hartsville SC 100° outside. Got 58-60° cold air out the vents.. Just ordered another one.. Through amazon prime should be at the house Wednesday

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Outside dimensions would work.. Incan figure out which one it is off setrab website.
Sitting here in hartsville SC 100° outside. Got 58-60° cold air out the vents.. Just ordered another one.. Through amazon prime should be at the house Wednesday

do you jsut want the core measurements? im fairly certain the end tanks are welded on after the fact but ill get you all the measurements

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Why?!? I ran same 2886 on my 6.5 did exactly as advertised fully on by 200° mine didn't go past 200°.. I can go pull post from where you strongly voiced you disapproval and said it would work... Yet it did.. And did it well

Bolt on version
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hda-2839
Go ahead and dig it up. I told you the DURAMAX fan clutch was calibrated to come on at a higher temp due to the extra heat loading of a CAC installed out front heating the cooling stack air, and the DURAMAX runs hotter thn 6.5 does in general. I stand by that statement. I know my HAYDEN 2843 doesn't fully kick in until around 225 engine temps which I'm not thrilled about. Then again when your stats don't go full open until 212, whats the point of engaging the fan much sooner. The thing I HATE about the HAYDEN fan clutch is it doesn't really engage when idling. I ended up having to install an electric fan on my condenser to get the needed airflow to keep the A/C from shutting off due to high pressure. The elctric fan clutch could be engaged at idle or at any desired point, but have virtually ZERO drag when dis engaged. It would be like having an elctric fan that is safe for towing heavy since it could move more than the fan clutch could(A fan clutch will only reach about 90% lockup at best, an electric would be full on). If the electric one won't work on mine, then my next fan clutch will be an AC DELCO. I've put them on before, and like how they engage at idle, then kick back out as soon as you start moving until it gets back up to temp.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
3 engines variants (6.5TD/lbz/lmm), 2 trucks, with trailer weight upwards of 30,000lbs for the last ~270,000 combined miles..
All while running the same hayden 2886 fan clutch.. Put a new one on each truck before I put it in service.. I have a new 2886 enroute to my house to replace the one on my LMM that is dying. ECT is running 20-30° hotter than normal 185-190°F which has allowed, EGT, EOT, TFT to run 10-15% hotter than normal.. AC isn't as cold either especially at idle.
That might suggest, to a common person with common person sense.... That I MIGHT have a pretty fairly good grasp of what something does and how it behaves.. Especially when it comes to keeping a dmax cooler while towing trailers that weigh 2-3 times, what the avg active member on this board tows on a daily basis....

Temps on flat ground in 90°F ambient..
EGT 700-800
EOT 210-220°
TFT 70-80° above ambient.. Which is 160-170° @90°.. Stock trans cooler, FPE lines and heat shield around lines by the exhauat

Though you are perfectly entitled to think I don't have a freaking clue to what I am talking about :thumb:

Last edited: