Suggestions for making money?

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
To be honest man, i would not put a turbo or any more power into your truck until you can afford to build the motor, especially if you are still making payments on it. I know people will probably disagree with me, but a CP3/injectors/turbo can easily put you on borrowed time. it sucks to make a payment on something that you cant use.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
personally.

leave the truck where its at and just save for after things after college. Took me working many a side job, selling things off i didnt need, and eating top ramen to just get a built trans when i was in college. as soon as i graduated, i bought a twin turbo kit cause i was in the "gotta have more power" stages like you. motor lasted 2.5 months and bent the rods. it put a hurting on both my Gf and i at the time (now my wife) as we lived in an apartment, had debt and we were wanting a house bad. it took me over a year to save and doing the motor assembly to get my motor back built and i was still able to land a house in the middle of all that. i lucked out with the job i got and things went well but ask yourself this:

if something happens to that truck right after you buy these goodies, can you afford to fix it? if not, how you going to get around? can you wait and save enough to fix it back up again? basically, how much of a life line is your truck to you right now. you got a heck of a quick truck as it is now. the more power you make, the more other things become an issue like tcase, driveshafts, axle wrap, ect. not to say you cant get by without something coming up but the chances of them being an issues with the mileage you have becomes much higher

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Save up and pay cash for whatever you do. Pay off debt and put as much in savings as you spend playing.

I wish I had done that.. Instead I have a bunch of debt and work my ass off trying to pay it off.

I work 50 hours a week at work, then at least 4 nights a week at home. Home is bonus money, I don't need it to get by but it helps me pay bills off and play some.

Fight the urge, wait till your out of school and have a good job then play.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Like I say find what drives you and you'll find a way to make it happen. In my case and yours it seems its souping stuff up. Ive been that way as long as I can remember. not much I can leave stock. so I started a side busness doing what I love and what drives me to make better income and it has just made it that much easier to get things I want. work hard and play harder. when I was starting out after diesel school I bought a nicer pickup and a snowmibile. My mom didn't under stand why I didn't just save save save, I said that doesnt give me a reason to keep going into work and putting up with crap everyday. Now that I have my own business thats makes way more then my 40Hr a week job in half the time it makes it hard to go into that 40 hr a week job. I don't take any of the OT there anymore and it pays 84$ an Hour. My boss just says good for you you must be making alot more then we can pay you. He thinks it great I have something to fall back on when this plant shuts down.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Not to be a downer, but, if I saved my money during college instead of making a old LT1 go fast, I could have bought my house a lot earlier.

Just something to keep in mind, there is life after college :roflmao:

This.... I'm getting married in 2 months, and I NEVER would I sound this old... but save your pennies man... and then keep saving them... I haven't even began to spend what some of the guy on here do, and I still feel like its too much...

In today's market getting a loan for a house is no easy task... most banks are requiring 10% and are strongly suggesting up to 20% (Or else you have to pay insurance on the loan) to get a mortgage....

$200K home @ 20%down = $40k

So yeah, hate to be a debbie downer... but in 3years you might wish you have that 5k, 10k, 15k you spend on the rig back!

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I dump as much $ into the truck and refinance would lower monthly payment, save on interest.. From the sound of it... You can't afford to have the truck down? Correct? As in blown engine down..
If that was the case.. I'd hold off till I was better off or had a 2nd vehicle that I owned outright

Yeah I will probably start doubling up on my payments now, as hard as it will be to not have one of the fastest trucks in Tallahassee haha, Aside from Shane Phinneys truck

To be honest man, i would not put a turbo or any more power into your truck until you can afford to build the motor, especially if you are still making payments on it. I know people will probably disagree with me, but a CP3/injectors/turbo can easily put you on borrowed time. it sucks to make a payment on something that you cant use.
Y

Yeah youre probably right.

What are you going to college for btw?

Im hoping to go to school for business administration, hopefully get into project management. I work at an IT company right now, so theres always the option of going that route as welll

Save up and pay cash for whatever you do. Pay off debt and put as much in savings as you spend playing.

I wish I had done that.. Instead I have a bunch of debt and work my ass off trying to pay it off.

I work 50 hours a week at work, then at least 4 nights a week at home. Home is bonus money, I don't need it to get by but it helps me pay bills off and play some.

Fight the urge, wait till your out of school and have a good job then play.

Its going to be hard, but im sure its worth it to wait as you said

Like I say find what drives you and you'll find a way to make it happen. In my case and yours it seems its souping stuff up. Ive been that way as long as I can remember. not much I can leave stock. so I started a side busness doing what I love and what drives me to make better income and it has just made it that much easier to get things I want. work hard and play harder. when I was starting out after diesel school I bought a nicer pickup and a snowmibile. My mom didn't under stand why I didn't just save save save, I said that doesnt give me a reason to keep going into work and putting up with crap everyday. Now that I have my own business thats makes way more then my 40Hr a week job in half the time it makes it hard to go into that 40 hr a week job. I don't take any of the OT there anymore and it pays 84$ an Hour. My boss just says good for you you must be making alot more then we can pay you. He thinks it great I have something to fall back on when this plant shuts down.

Yeah its so hard to find out what I really enjoy. I enjoy playing guitar and studying nutrition, but these are both not options I have to make a career out of lol

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I made big money once, about a 1/32" too big that is how I got caught. There are some fabulous printers on the market but don't forget to make it the right size :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I hate to say it but the degree you are pursuing is pretty much worthless as far as getting you a good paying job. If you want to make good quick money study to be a lineman or pipe welder or something else that requires specialized skills and work your way up to management if you want. I know a guy with the degree you are looking at who is a waiter and is between jobs now.....

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I hate to say it but the degree you are pursuing is pretty much worthless as far as getting you a good paying job. If you want to make good quick money study to be a lineman or pipe welder or something else that requires specialized skills and work your way up to management if you want. I know a guy with the degree you are looking at who is a waiter and is between jobs now.....

We have engineers where I work that make about 30-40K less then us mechanics, welders, machinists, I&C techs, I tell all the kids and summer hires don't waste you time and money at a four year college if you don't know what you want to do. you'd be better off to goto a trade school or apprenticeship and then if you don't like what you do switch carreers and you won't have a 100K in loans to start your professional career with. My sister went to 7+ years of school to get out and make 25K a year. that didn't pan out so she married a Dr and has two kids and stays at home and gets a nanny to look after them when she wants to go grocery shopping because its "too hard" to do that with two little kids. so theres that option LMAO. But I doubt you have the right parts to snag that Dr haha.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL

We have engineers where I work that make about 30-40K less then us mechanics, welders, machinists, I&C techs, I tell all the kids and summer hires don't waste you time and money at a four year college if you don't know what you want to do. you'd be better off to goto a trade school or apprenticeship and then if you don't like what you do switch carreers and you won't have a 100K in loans to start your professional career with. My sister went to 7+ years of school to get out and make 25K a year. that didn't pan out so she married a Dr and has two kids and stays at home and gets a nanny to look after them when she wants to go grocery shopping because its "too hard" to do that with two little kids. so theres that option LMAO. But I doubt you have the right parts to snag that Dr haha.

The current job I'm working at, I've been here for 3 years and am hoping to, with the right certifications, move into the project management or sales division over time. Using the degree just as a way of showing i have my "union" card stamped if you will.

Ive come to realize that experience can trump a degree in a lot of cases

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
One of best part time jobs I had when I was younger was bell hop / parking attendent at one of the higher end hotels in my area. Depending on the time of year and what was going on around town the tips were awsome. Also it was afternoons and nights so I still worked a full time job during the day.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Yeah I will probably start doubling up on my payments now, as hard as it will be to not have one of the fastest trucks in Tallahassee haha, Aside from Shane Phinneys truck
Trying to keep up "with the Jones" or "badest on the block" when you have little to no disposable income.. Isn't exactly one of the.... Umn smartest things to do.. And extremely $$$$$

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
My wife makes 125 to 275 a night in tips from 5 to midnight 4 nights a week as a server at a steakhouse/fancy bar. and min wage on top of that.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Not true if you are responsible with it. Key word responsible. I buy everything with my capital one card. Especially stuff online. Not only. Am I protected but I get a 2% discount on Everything I buy. Then just pay it back before billing cycle is over. It adds up quick and builds your credit. Witch also saves you money in the long run in interest fees. But make sure you are careful about the card you choose

You and Mike are exceptions to the rule, if eveyone did that the CC companies would not exist anymore. Remember how you acted when you were 21? I know I wasn't responsible enough to control my spending especially when at the bar...:rofl:

Just spend cash and you won't believe how much you save...

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
You and Mike are exceptions to the rule, if eveyone did that the CC companies would not exist anymore. Remember how you acted when you were 21? I know I wasn't responsible enough to control my spending especially when at the bar...:rofl:

In the last 2.5 years Ive racked up easily 275K on my alaska air card and never got hit with interest once. Credit score is way up there. when I went to buy my LML they finance guys goes wow I haven't seen a credit score that high, they even dropped a 1/4 % off the interest rate after that. didn't even ask.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD

I got my first CC at 19 and at 23 have a paid for modded duramax, modded 08 Saab, 08 raptor 700r, snap-on box full of tools, plus tons of other toys and a nice house with a garage. Never had a payment in my life till the house, it sucks! I'm probably the exception though. LOL

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
I've got 3 vehicles right now I'm flipping. I buy cars with blown motors or needing any repairs really and flip them.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist for anything I can make a few dollars on. If you've got extra money laying around you can easily make money buying and selling stuff.

I'm also a licensed plumber so side work and federal jobs pay like crazy :thumb: