Suggestions for making money?

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
As a 21 year old college student who also works full time (but obviously doesnt get paid enough to support my Duramax escapades) what are some suggestions for things to do on the weekends to maybe help fund my future turbo plans?

I already work 40 hours a week, but I'm hoping to get some advice or suggestions on what else I could possibly consider to make some extra cash?

Thanks!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Rob banks.
Sell plasma.
Donate a kidney.
Become a gigolo.
Don't pay your bills, then have Obama claim "You are just mis-understood" and have him forgive them.
Get more student loans and spend them on your truck. (I know someone who did something like this...damn)

Oh yeah, learn to have patience and save your pennies every week. Takes a lot of self-control. Very difficult to do, but worth it in the end.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Rob banks.
Sell plasma.
Donate a kidney.
Become a gigolo.
Don't pay your bills, then have Obama claim "You are just mis-understood" and have him forgive them.
Get more student loans and spend them on your truck. (I know someone who did something like this...damn)

Oh yeah, learn to have patience and save your pennies every week. Takes a lot of self-control. Very difficult to do, but worth it in the end.

Lol selling plasma is probably the most legit way in the list above.

Saving money is a slow process indeed. I dont even wanna think about how long it will take me to save for a turbo and new CP3, but youre right, I gotta start somewhere

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep, you take a year or two off while saving, and then come back with a vengence. ;)

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
You could sell blood and semem.

All joking aside when I started saving for dmax parts I actually looked at how to cut spending rather than work more. Now I no longer eat out, buy things like beer or impulse buy and I've been saving tons.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL

All joking aside when I started saving for dmax parts I actually looked at how to cut spending rather than work more. Now I no longer eat out, buy things like beer or impulse buy and I've been saving tons.

Yeah, the hard part is, I still owe like 8 grand on my vehicle. So i SHOULD just start paying off my truck faster. That would be the responsible thing to do

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Two words, lottery tickets. It's a sure thing, you just need to buy enough of them.

OP: I am in the same boat as you, honestly I make more money doing side work than my actual job. I also detail cars/trucks on the side which is pretty straightforward. I get really busy in the summer with detailing trucks for vendors and events which is nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiesty

Sep 21, 2014
Mow grass. I'm 21 and go to school full time. I mow about 40 lawns a week at $30-$50 per lawn.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL

That right there is the ticket. I did it this way. Crazy how expensive it is to eat out for lunch every day. I also don't drink or use any tobacco. I don't know how some people afford that shit. My vice and stress relief is the truck.
Also when the right side work comes along I won't hesitate to jump on it.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I just cut out buying coffee and snacks twice a day, bring lunch to work, and always drive like a old person (saves fuel). Limit going out to dinner and since I don't drink, I save a ton there.

It adds up eventually.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Thanks for all the suggestions. I try to cut back on my spending, but then end up blowing my money on small things I dont really need at this point like tie rod sleeves, bed rail caps, etc.

Ive been thinking about ways to start pressure washing on the side for money as well

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Coming from a guy that works in the trucking industry.. Pennies can make/break you.. I honestly didn't know how fast they can add up till I got into trucking.. Especially in repairs.

It definitely helps one learn self control and helps deferentiate between "needs" "wants"

Keep at you'll get there

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Coming from a guy that works in the trucking industry.. Pennies can make/break you.. I honestly didn't know how fast they can add up till I got into trucking.. Especially in repairs.

It definitely helps one learn self control and helps deferentiate between "needs" "wants"

Keep at you'll get there

I know what you mean. Its easy to save for the short term, but when I start thinking about trying to save close to 4-5k for a turbo and install kit, as well as a new CP3, then I start to get a headache lol

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I'm actually in the process of p
Parting together a turbo kit.. All used stuff under ~1000.00 new everything would be 3-4k
There is nothing wrong with knocking out the small stuff that you will need at at your planed HP goals its $$ well spent towards your goal

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I'm actually in the process of p
Parting together a turbo kit.. All used stuff under ~1000.00 new everything would be 3-4k
There is nothing wrong with knocking out the small stuff that you will need at at your planed HP goals its $$ well spent towards your goal

What turbo/kit?

Yeah tie rod sleeves are just temporary until maybe i can buy heavy duty tie rods. I gotta buy new tires first though haha

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Only use cash. Its alot harder to let go of the actual money than just to swipe a card, plus you avoid any possible interest. I've never had a credit card, why pay up to 17% more for the same service, part, food or fun time. You wont believe how much less you will spend wiyh just this one little habit breaker...

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Not to be a downer, but, if I saved my money during college instead of making a old LT1 go fast, I could have bought my house a lot earlier.

Just something to keep in mind, there is life after college :roflmao:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Not to be a downer, but, if I saved my money during college instead of making a old LT1 go fast, I could have bought my house a lot earlier.

Just something to keep in mind, there is life after college :roflmao:

Yeah thats a good point. Its something I try to tell myself, but youre right, it is hard