Subwoofer help!

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
I had the 6 seat set up in my truck. And I put the JL stealth box in mine and it sounds great. I also added an alumipro m16 to the package for when im really looking to rattle things loose.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
No matter what you decide to go with, you will really enjoy listening to your music after you get a sub in. I agree with these guys, 10's would be plenty big enough for what you want. Keep us posted on what you put in.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
Anyone have any experience with the kicker hideaway? Been thinking about getting one to through under the back seat.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
There are other subs that will sound better than jl for much less. Look at sundown or resonant engineering. I use to compete in DB drag events. I hit 148.8db in a silverado with a blowthrough with 4 12" jl w6v2's. Windows up truck off and tuned for music not for a burp. You could do one decent sundown 10 ported and tuned to say 32hz and sound amazing and hit pretty dang hard. I have 2 re subs under my seats. Its decent but sealed boxes lack the lows I like. I'm just too lazy to rebuild the box to fix it. Plus I'm more worried about going fast right now. Lol. Don't cheap out on the amp either and be sure to match ohm loads to the power. Sundown has beast amps too. Jl amps are very clean too. Just way overpriced. What's nice about jl is that they have the same rms output from 1.5 ohms up to 4ohms. Makes it easier to just pick a sub and run it. The slash series are very clean power. You have my number if you have any questions or need a review.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I second RE audio, but back when I was into car audio I don't think they had much that would fit in our trucks. I went with ID (image dynamics) subs. They have good clean sound, and will take some power. Mine took

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

02duramax

Nov 9, 2008
Yreka Ca
You can build your own

6a63d442760ba064d9be63ee14e3013d.jpg

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
that box is almost identical to the one I came up with...I still haven't made one yet, but now that I've got everything else pretty dialed in the stereo and in cab entertainment is next
I do remember there being a little hump in the back wall of the cab or something like that???

at any rate, (4) 10's in that box would POUND!
middle of the road kicker's, Fosgate, JL audio, Focal, or ID would be a good choice for the amount of air space in our cabs they need to move
:D

here's a link to someone's interpretation of the 5 "best" 10" subs
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-5-10-inch-Car-Subwoofers-/10000000177747409/g.html

just remember we've only got about 7 1/4" mounting depth from the back of the frame of the woofer to the end of the magnet..

Mar 13, 2012
Bham, AL
I can't tell of anything coming from the console it sounds like the door speakers do most of the work. It could be the idiot that wired up my radio didn't get it hooked up.

Looks like I have some digging to do.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
I went with 6.5. If your a rich guy get focal k2p and power them with a nice clean amp. I had a set of those in a mild build. They actually had a good amount of bump to compliment the eclipse ti 12"s.

Fyi the op went with 2 10" sundown sa -10's and a single sae -600. If he isn't happy with the single amp putting out 900+ rms at a half ohm then he will get a second and put out 800 each amp at 1ohm. Hopefully the dealer ordered him dual 2 ohm so he can get where he needs to be for the power. He ordered a prefab box too. Not sure which one but odds are it is sealed.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I went with 6.5. If your a rich guy get focal k2p and power them with a nice clean amp. I had a set of those in a mild build. They actually had a good amount of bump to compliment the eclipse ti 12"s.

Fyi the op went with 2 10" sundown sa -10's and a single sae -600. If he isn't happy with the single amp putting out 900+ rms at a half ohm then he will get a second and put out 800 each amp at 1ohm. Hopefully the dealer ordered him dual 2 ohm so he can get where he needs to be for the power. He ordered a prefab box too. Not sure which one but odds are it is sealed.
I'm Afraid he has 4 ohm speakers coming, is this bad?

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Getting 4 ohm subs isn't necessarily a bad thing. The dual voice coil subs will allow you to get down to a single 1 ohm load which is perfect for your amp. Wire each speaker voice coil in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative). This gives each speaker a 2 ohm load. Then wire the two speakers in parallel. This will give you the final 1 ohm load and each voice coil will get 150 watts of power.

Is the box you are building/getting have enough mounting depth for these speakers? The spec on Sundown's website shows the depth to be 6" which is pretty deep for a behind the seat box. If it has the mounting depth you're golden. If not you could build one that goes under the back seat.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Excellent choice! Look on ebay once in a while and you can find sundown sae1000d amps for really cheap. I've ran that amp in both my trucks and it is an absolute destroyer for how small it is

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
I have a 6.5 JL w3 in my racetruck where the factory sub goes. It's stupid loud. It puts my wife's (2) 10 w1s to shame she had in the CC.
839f497c6d4fb29ea583e120d7030c79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk