Subwoofer help!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I've been searching forums and audio websites and just can't put it all together. I want a sub or subs for my crew cab. I Don't know much about car audio so I'm clueless as to what will work for me. I just installed a pioneer touch screen stereo and already had aftermarket speakers. My stereo is already set up to run a sub. I'm not a music fanatic, I just want a little punch. I'd like something already put together if possible but open to suggestions. Under or behind the rear seat is what I have in mind.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i have 4 10" subs behind my back seat in a box i built, way more than needed but i still enjoy the occasional back massage from them.

2 good 10" subs would be all you need for some clean good bass, 12s if you really want a decent kick. as for type, ive been well out of the game too long to tell you what to get. there are some nice under-the-seat enclosures out there too.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
JL's new slimline 10/12 series can make some serious bass and they'll fit pretty much anywhere. After hearing and running JL stuff, I swear by them.

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
I have 2 JL 10w2's under my seat in a custom made enclosure molded to my truck, amp in the center. between the two subs. You will need an amp, Amp install kit, Subs, and a box. You will have to run a heavy gauge wire from your battery to your amp, (normally 8 gauge in the kits, but I always run 4 gauge), RCA cables, and a remote turn on wire.
:thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Does your truck have a center console or a seat with the flip down back?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I run either MTX or JL for subs. Right now I'm running a single JL 10W0v3 in a box I built behind the rear seat. It kicks hard and even a seasoned audio enthusiast would mistake it for 2 10's.

10w0v3 is an entry level sub but still provides clean sound in a slimmer package but is not a "shallow mount sub. Plus it has a lifetime warranty, blow it..take it right back to the shop you bought it at and they will replace it.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I made the box use every bit of space I could and it fits perfectly. The box is slightly tipped forward so it looks like it will rub the seat back but I put a spacer under the front edge and there is about 1/2" of space between the woofer frame and seat.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Mike that enclosure looks great! Is there anything out there already made to fit under the seat or behind it or will I be better off just building my own?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
You should be able to buy something pre made. Most everything in my area were for under the seat which I don't like so that is why I made my own for behind the seat. Not to mention I have about $12 worth of material and about 2 hours of my time into that box.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Google JL stelth box. Depending on the music you listen to depends from the size. I think a pair of 10's sounds great in these trucks. 12's have a boomier type of base, 10's is a tighter type of base. I had 2 jl10w6 in a box I built for under my back seat. The amps where in an enclosure between them. I molded the top out of fiberglass and the rest was MDF to keep the back seat low..

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Google JL stelth box. Depending on the music you listen to depends from the size. I think a pair of 10's sounds great in these trucks. 12's have a boomier type of base, 10's is a tighter type of base. I had 2 jl10w6 in a box I built for under my back seat. The amps where in an enclosure between them. I molded the top out of fiberglass and the rest was MDF to keep the back seat low..
You told me before JL is a good brand. And I definitely like the "tighter" type of base.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
That stealth box is nice! I just don't think I would like the sub right there by me? Also which subs are the best? The shallow mount or the regular full size? The full size may not even be an option, really don't know how deep they really are.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Being right next to you as a sub. It won't be bad, if it was a high it would be sound bad due to screaming in your face. I'm not sure if I have pics of my box, I lost a lot with the new phone. The ones I had where abt 8 inch deep