Strange Failure

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Interesting for sure. Curious about the outcome.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Here is a rough thermal plot for a piston without oil cooling in the gallery. It is only assigning surface temperatures. The angle of the cut is the same as the pictures posted earlier.

I have a lot more work to go.

Attachments

• Piston model-Thermal 1-Image-1.jpg
    Piston model-Thermal 1-Image-1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 164

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Agreed, that's scary. But cool to see

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Just a thought, but is it possible to apply enough force to the top ring land in the axial travel direction to create that type of crack?

Almost looks like it either had too much timing in it and it caught the piston on the compression stroke, or too late of timing and it tried to drive the piston out the bottom of the bore.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It's possible, but the amount of pressure to break the ring land would be more than enough to kill the crown.

In addition, the ring lands sees only a portion of the pressures that the crown sees.

IF I have time today I am going to use Die Penetrant on the other piston and see if there is a starter crack in any of those.

Discussion with some other knowledgeable people has been enlightening, but so far, nothing conclusive. I am personally focusing on either a defect or some sort of thermal stress.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
The first picture did not show up this time, but something came to mind.

How much force would it take and what type of failure would it be if the crank stopped suddenly and the piston tried to continue moving upward?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
A lot. What would stop the crank dead in its tracks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk