So I did something stupid this weekend.....

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I'll be darned. This 5986 problem seems to be common enough on the same generation trucks that there's a TSB out for the same symptoms this car has. If the BCM detects high resistance or an open/short in the 5986 circuit, it literally shuts power off to that circuit, tripping the code and all the lights. Just have to trace that wire from the BCM in the left footwell to the ABCM (SRS) in the console. I wonder why the tech didnt do that?
That requires actual work... Easier to remove and replace....

Reactions: Hoser

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, this is going to be a needle-in-a-haystack venture.

Ohmed out circuit from BCM X4 #23 to ABCM X1 #17, multimeter reading went to zero.
Seat out. Carpet out. Finally got down to harness.
Found multiple white/dark blue comm wires in harness.
At the junction where harness goes to console and to rear of car, I found a splice of white/blue wires with one going to console area, one toward BCM and one toward rear. Figured that was what I was looking for. Inspected and tested it best I could. No corrosion or loose wires found.

Going to keep looking tomorrow.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So in the wiring diagram I posted it showed there were also Dark blue and White wire which is not it. Hopefully looking at the diagram, you can check from the module to where ever it goes. I thought it was the cluster or something. It mentioned it was on an ignition circuit coming out of the module.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Well, this is going to be a needle-in-a-haystack venture.

Ohmed out circuit from BCM X4 #23 to ABCM X1 #17, multimeter reading went to zero.
Seat out. Carpet out. Finally got down to harness.
Found multiple white/dark blue comm wires in harness.
At the junction where harness goes to console and to rear of car, I found a splice of white/blue wires with one going to console area, one toward BCM and one toward rear. Figured that was what I was looking for. Inspected and tested it best I could. No corrosion or loose wires found.

Going to keep looking tomorrow.
Have any luck with this?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Rewired that splice, just to be sure. Ohmed the wiring again, and it was all good. I bought a used ABCM (SRS module) and decided to try it.
Connected it up, got power, started the car, and the U0151 went away, along with the airbag and stabilitrak lights and messages. I do have a B3902 bc the module VIN doesnt match the car, so that'll have to be addressed. Now to clean out the sunroof drains so I dont get any more water in the car.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Rewired that splice, just to be sure. Ohmed the wiring again, and it was all good. I bought a used ABCM (SRS module) and decided to try it.
Connected it up, got power, started the car, and the U0151 went away, along with the airbag and stabilitrak lights and messages. I do have a B3902 bc the module VIN doesnt match the car, so that'll have to be addressed. Now to clean out the sunroof drains so I dont get any more water in the car.
The VIN *shouldn't* matter based on my experience, but the security key could, as it did with the HVAC module in my wife's 2015 Malibu after it croaked and I replaced it with one from a wrecked car... Got a key mismatch until I did a reprogram and replace using SPS2, but while that didn't change the VIN z it's been happy since...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBac

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ive started the car twice with no security light. In fact, no lights on the dash at all. Just have to put car back together (again) and get that module reprogrammed.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
After replacing the HVAC module, never had any warning lights, only codes if scanned. In the case of my wife's Malibu, supposedly, the HVAC module is part of the 'global a security ', but it didn't prevent the car from operating normally. Just threw a code about a mismatch if scanned. If you were close to me, I'd hook you up with getting it sorted out, but your area of Michigan to st Louis would be a bit of a haul lol. But I'd image you still have resources in your area.

It's totally stupid... SPS2 can't (won't) change the VIN in a module for no real technical reason... The fact that we can't take a module out of a wrecked vehicle, install it in another and totally reprogram it VIN and all for the target vehicle is so stupid and wasteful.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Are you talking about using one of those little chip readers to read the VIN and change it to zeros? Ive seen that done for radios, but not for other modules.

Ive got an email out to a company that can clear crash data out of the ABCM to see if they can also change the VIN in this used module.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Nope, not familiar with them... Not sure how (or if) they work.. on the Malibu, just a 'replace and reprogram' fixed the security key codes. But in 'that other thread' where things came up , I THINK there are templates meant to set the VIN or VIN program bit to zero to allow SPS2 to program it as new.... Can't confirm it tho...

Edit... As far as the srs module, which is kind of unique, as far as I've understood, once involved in a deployment event was junk and not reusable...

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I still think he hit something with this car on the pass side front, or at least ran over something large. But there were no codes in the ABCM indicating a crash or any deployment. The module just stopped working.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Any thing with a Chip that stores Data can be read out. It is just a matter of finding some one that has the tools and knows how to do it as chip manufactures are all different in there programming and reading of the chip.

As for the ABS modules, It depends on the module. Some have an internal fuse so to speak if I remember correctly and they are potted in with epoxy or something. But some companies can even fix those.

The data can be read out and cleared if you know how and what to do. I really wish I was closer as I would love to try that special GM software that looks to over ride and be more capable than the regular SPS stuff.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The problem with the SRS module is I've HEARD that in a deployment event, whatever's in volatile or non-volatile flash memory gets written to write once flash creating a permeant copy that can't be changed. I don't have absolute definitive confirmation of that though.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The problem with the SRS module is I've HEARD that in a deployment event, whatever's in volatile or non-volatile flash memory gets written to write once flash creating a permeant copy that can't be changed. I don't have absolute definitive confirmation of that though.
You can not re-write with the OEM tools. How ever, there are several companies that can dump the data and reset it. And Not just airbag modules either... Some you can wire onto the board, Others require a connector over the chip to read it, and some you have to remove the eeprom chip entirely in order to do it...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qEfwvr-50&t=5s&ab_channel=VEHIX411

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec61-5meVlw&t=612s&ab_channel=L1AutomotiveTraining

Reactions: 2004LB7

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Yeah, I've seen that Hyundai ECM video (and the root SMA video). That's just as dumb as GM not allowing SPS2 to change VINs. Really wasteful. At least there are ways around it, even if they're not super easy. As long as the SRS module doesn't have some single write memory that gets written in the event of a crash and are just EEPROM based, then I can't see a reason why it couldn't be cleared as shown in the first video, but supposedly, Ford SRS modules can have three events, and after three, they're locked for good and can't be cleared. 🤷‍♂️

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I
Yeah, I've seen that Hyundai ECM video (and the root SMA video). That's just as dumb as GM not allowing SPS2 to change VINs. Really wasteful. At least there are ways around it, even if they're not super easy. As long as the SRS module doesn't have some single write memory that gets written in the event of a crash and are just EEPROM based, then I can't see a reason why it couldn't be cleared, but supposedly, Ford SRS modules can have three events, and after three, they're locked for good and can't be cleared. 🤷‍♂️
I don't have much Experience with Furd's and none with the newer Airbag stuff stuff in general but we use to do it on some vehicles when we were allowed to or the cost or availability of a new unit was excessive. Some insurance companies will not allow it for liability. Some times all the new restraint stuff is the bulk cost of a collision repair. I remember a new small car that only had 1000 miles getting totaled because of the cost of the air bags, both front sensors, the clock spring, the Airbag module and a distributor... The Damn distributor was $1500 on this little car... It was a high hit above the frame rails but most of the electronics is what totaled it. Not the sheet metal or the labor.

That GM DPS software looks like it could do a vin write as it can readout the raw Bin file .

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdARmHOlgs&ab_channel=AutomotiveSoftwareDevelopment

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I emailed the two ABCM module reprogram companies, and both told me they cant change the VIN. Ive got tomorrow off, so Im going to go ask the dealer tech that worked on the car if he can relearn this module.

But I wonder, would the old-school 30 minute security relearn work on this? If so, how do you do it with push-button start?