So I did something stupid this weekend.....

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Only had enough time this weekend to get the two rear corners done. Had to test that welded part, and it fit perfectly, so looking forward to getting the car buttoned up this next weekend. Slowly but surely....

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Which one? :ROFLMAO:

Traded the white 2014 diesel in on the Fusion (what a f-ing mistake that was!) Traded Fusion in on 2016 red Cruze.
Traded daughter's red 2012 (the one with 225000 miles that replaced the Grand Prix after the accident) on the burgundy Regal I drive now. (honestly, shouldnt have done that)
Gave red 2016 to daughter when she was senior in college. Still her daily down in Tx.
Bought green 2014 for DIL. Its her daily.

Yes, I have a car problem.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think it was the 2014. I thought I remember you discussing trying out or trying to get some tuning then all of a sudden got rid of it. So in a roundabout way you traded it for a 2016 cruze.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ah, the diesel. That was about 4 years ago now. I missed out on being able to delete it (dragged my feet as always) and didnt want to deal with the continuous emissions parts replacement in the future....so traded it. Looking back, oh well.

Reactions: 2004LB7

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, I dont have plates for it, so can drive it legally yet.

That said, I drove it around the neighborhood anyway and it drove pretty good. The engine ran smoothly, the trans shifted as smoothly as the old fluid would allow (but no slipping), and the brakes and suspension worked as they should. Probably should rebleed the brakes, though. GS mode works, could feel the steering and ride stiffen up.

There may be a couple issues. Airbag (SRS) and Stabilitrak lights came on.
Scanned it when I got home, and for some reason the SRS module isnt communicating with the car anymore. EBCM issue seems to be connected to the SRS issue. All fuses are good.

Also, there are permanent P0030 and P0135 codes in the ECM, but they arent pending or stored, which is weird.
I put new O2 sensors in the exhaust when I redid everything, and fuse is good and power is good to the sensor.

Guess I have to check all the grounds and do continuity tests now. Yay, not.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I don't really get what the 'permanent' codes are. Maybe someone can enlighten me/us. As a few examples, I was working on a friend's aveo - there were no O2 sensor codes present, but after I had to start the car with the sensor disconnected, there was a 'permanent' code for it that wouldn't clear. Another time, when I replaced the oil cooler on my sister's van, I ended up with either an ECT or oil pressure sensor 'permanent' code (don't recall which, both are in the same place), and when, on testing, I disconnected the other, I got a 'permanent' code for that sensor too.

What exactly are 'permanent' codes, and how do they finally go away?

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Odd thing is, the remote start still works. Its not supposed to with codes present. And the CEL isnt on, either. Like I said....weird.

Im starting to think "weird" is "normal" with this car. :LOL:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Odd thing is, the remote start still works. Its not supposed to with codes present. And the CEL isnt on, either. Like I said....weird.

Im starting to think "weird" is "normal" with this car.
Well.... It seems like the 'permanent' codes are.... Something 'different'.... So

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Permanent codes are a method implemented, (probably by the EPA) that don't clear from a scanner but instead only through the drive cycle or number of tests completed without the error. I believe it was originally devised to prevent people from clearing emissions codes without actually fixing the problem. I believe more and more codes will migrate over to the "permanent" status as manufacturers (or outside pressure) deem them to be "too important" to be clearable. I think I first encountered them when the DPF was starting to be used. Then they started using them for lots of other codes

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Permanent codes are a method implemented, (probably by the EPA) that don't clear from a scanner but instead only through the drive cycle or number of tests completed without the error. I believe it was originally devised to prevent people from clearing emissions codes without actually fixing the problem. I believe more and more codes will migrate over to the "permanent" status as manufacturers (or outside pressure) deem them to be "too important" to be clearable. I think I first encountered them when the DPF was starting to be used. Then they started using them for lots of other codes
I did not know that was a thing. Thank you for that explanation.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Got plates this morning. Took the car for a short 8 mile drive afterward for carwash and fresh fuel. Those "permanent" codes went away. Car drives pretty good for what it is. Cleaned the interior. Does still need a professional detail.

SRS has power to it. Grounds are good. Looks like it does need to be reprogrammed. The other issues should also solve since they are related.