So I did something stupid this weekend.....

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
With the right file, DPS probably could change the VIN. If it's anything like the HVAC module, SPS2 could PROBABLY program and link it to the car, EXCEPT for changing the VIN.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I emailed the two ABCM module reprogram companies, and both told me they cant change the VIN. Ive got tomorrow off, so Im going to go ask the dealer tech that worked on the car if he can relearn this module.

But I wonder, would the old-school 30 minute security relearn work on this? If so, how do you do it with push-button start?
No, It has to be programed in. But I don't think the OEM tool can change it.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They are trying to make it so they are 1 time use and that you have to go back to them.

I bet that GM DPS program could read the file out of the good unit and change the vin like it shows him doing it on that one module. They do that on a few different modules on that Youtube channel. I think that is the purpose behind that program so that in special cases where they have to send a person to a dealer to try and fix a vehicle they can attempt to use known good modules from other vehicles.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You can try. But usually like on the LS PCM's I have to change the Vin first to download the the correct file. It will Flash the File with out it but it wont display the proper VIN.
Maybe that's just PCMs? I know the HVAC module that I put in my wife's car after the original crapped out a few years back was out of a Regal and the calibrations were wrong for the Malibu (but still worked) and it was throwing a security key mismatch DTC. When the transmission ate itself and I got a VIN license for the car, I used SPS2 to program the HVAC module too and it programmed the right calibrations for the car and fixed the security key mismatch issue. Just didn't change the VIN.

Now, DPS DOES have a bunch of 'Set_MEC_to_zero" zip files, one of which is 'SDR', which is the Airbag module. I'm not ENTIRELY sure what these do, but from what little I could find from searching, it seems like they either clear the VIN to zeros so SPS can/will write it, or it changes something else to where SPS treats it like the VIN is blank and will allow SPS to program the VIN. But I'm not positive and haven't been able to test it on anything. The only think I have here that wouldn't break my heart if it bricked it is an E80 ECM, but I haven't put together a bench connector for it yet.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I only have some LS1 PCM'S an E38 ECU, an E67 ECU that I am planning to use, a T42 And like 3 LBZ ECU's and corresponding TCU's...

I could care less about the LS1 PCMs . The rest I would rather not ruin .

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So I dug out one of the several T42's I have laying around that I don't give a hoot about, wasn't sure if they were going to be CAN/GMLAN or Class2, but at least the one I dug out was GMLAN. I read the info, 'programmed' the TCM set mec to zero and it 'completed successfully', but I have no idea what it actually changed and have no way to test it... I could run down to my local U-Wrench places and see if I can get a module for cheap and see what it does...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So I dug out one of the several T42's I have laying around that I don't give a hoot about, wasn't sure if they were going to be CAN/GMLAN or Class2, but at least the one I dug out was GMLAN. I read the info, 'programmed' the TCM set mec to zero and it 'completed successfully', but I have no idea what it actually changed and have no way to test it... I could run down to my local U-Wrench places and see if I can get a module for cheap and see what it does...
did you read and save the original file?
read the flashed file back out and compare to the original

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
That just gets the module info. That info is identical. It doesn't actually read what's in the module. I suspect something else is needed to read the actual data, if it actually can do that.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Hacking GM modules. Lol. We need this though, as GM retires parts other solutions will be sought after to keep the vehicle road worthy.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The entire idea that the VIN can't be changed and/or modules "can't" or shouldn't be reused flies in the face of 'right to repair', and it's so stupid and wasteful. Why should one be forced to buy a brand new unit when there are so many good parts out there taken out of wrecked cars? There's zero technical reason the VIN can't be changed and a module fully programmed with SPS2 to a new vehicle. It's entirely 'policy'.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The entire idea that the VIN can't be changed and/or modules "can't" or shouldn't be reused flies in the face of 'right to repair', and it's so stupid and wasteful. Why should one be forced to buy a brand new unit when there are so many good parts out there taken out of wrecked cars? There's zero technical reason the VIN can't be changed and a module fully programmed with SPS2 to a new vehicle. It's entirely 'policy'.
Furthermore, to expand on that topic. After the Chinese Flu, alot of these modules are not available or have been discontinued. In some states, the vehicle will not pass a safety inspection with lights on and faults in the systems.

Should we simply dispose of the vehicle because of this? Seems more wasteful and harmful to the environment to discard a vehicle just because you can no longer get a new part or repurpose a used part to repair that vehicle.

Look at all the trucks left sitting when you couldn't get a TCM because of the back order. some sat for more than 1 year waiting. What about all the LLY's and the FICM's? I certainly don't have 70-90K just sitting around to go buy a new truck and I can not justify that expense for something I don't use daily. In my case I also can not afford to buy a truck that will sit around and need to be serviced every time I have a need to use it because of the lack of use it will see.

The Car manufactures and various Governments make alot of money from New car sales. They don't make hardly any money when you keep an older vehicle going.

If your 10 year old vehicle needs a used $100 module and the tax is 10% They only get $10 out of you that get's passed around.
If your forced to buy a new $50,000 vehicle at 10% Tax they get $5000 right off the bat Plus what ever fee's they tack on to the new vehicle sale.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
.......or have a dealer want to charge you $1100 for a $250 module with one hour labor to R-n-R it and program it.

Wouldnt ya know it.....day off and its raining. :(

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Look what I found
935bb6211afd6cd0068ed86e549f020d.jpg

Reactions: 1FastBrick